Coopers Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
Now I HAVE looked to answer this question myself but can't find the info. I have really settled on Brigalow New. I am wanting to try some malt with it, but it doesnt say how to use it. Do I add it to the water with the BE2 and boil it or do I boil it on it's own and add it to the mix? How do I go about using it without ruining it? I am going to try it with brewing sugar, a batch with BE2 and another batch with BE1, just to cover my bases. I just want to get it right.
Cheers in advance.

Fasty, if you want roughly the same alc, then for dry malt extract I'd suggest you use about 1.2kg in place of the brew enhancer, and if using a liquid tin (usually 1.5kg) then use the whole lot. Adding the be1 or 2 as well will just give you alot more alcohol and prolly not taste that great, IMO.

I have got 500gram bags of powder for the malt and 1 kilo bags of brewing sugar and BE1 and BE2

What about the 1 kilo of brew sugar and 500grams of malt?? Help me please guys.

I would use 1kg of the brewing sugar (which is 80% dex/20% malto dex) and then 250g of your malt. This will give you a beer about 5% ABV. Make sure you leave it to ferment at about 20degC for at least 3 weeks, you want it to dry out.

Good luck

yeah I would use the whole lot of be2 as wagga said 250g of the malt and prob the same with the be1(never used it) But it may pay to steep or boil some hops what ever you are comfortable with. As the extra malt will thicken it out and the kits bitterness is usually already low

just sub the 1 kg of malt for the 1 kg of be1 or be2 you will get a maltier brew don't worry about the alc % you will get a good beer regardless

Now I HAVE looked to answer this question myself but can't find the info. I have really settled on Brigalow New. I am wanting to try some malt with it, but it doesnt say how to use it. Do I add it to the water with the BE2 and boil it or do I boil it on it's own and add it to the mix? How do I go about using it without ruining it? I am going to try it with brewing sugar, a batch with BE2 and another batch with BE1, just to cover my bases. I just want to get it right.
Cheers in advance.

Fasty, if you've settled on the Brigalow New kit I'm going to go ahead and assume that is because you've made it a loved it. Right? If you think that beer is great then keep making it with the same recipe as last time but with really good (constant) temp control. Adding a large amount of malt will change the beer dramatically - in my opinion it will improve it but that is just me, you might not feel the same. If you think that tin is exactly what you are after then make it the same and just apply really strong fermentation techniques to get a really clean beer.

Now I HAVE looked to answer this question myself but can't find the info. I have really settled on Brigalow New. I am wanting to try some malt with it, but it doesn't say how to use it. Do I add it to the water with the BE2 and boil it or do I boil it on it's own and add it to the mix? How do I go about using it without ruining it?

To answer the specific question above... If you add the malt straight to the fermenter it has a tendency to ball up into maltesers, to avoid this it is good to dissolve it first. This can be done by adding it to hot water and bringing it to the boil, this will have the added benefit of killing of any bacteria that may be in the malt. As BE1 and BE2 both have a percentage of malt in them you could boil these too.

Soo... the simplest way of doing this and not ruining it?
  1. Add around 2 Lt of hot water to a large clean saucepan or stockpot (big enough to contain a boil over)
  2. Add the malt and the BE1 or BE2 to the water.
  3. Slowly bring it to the boil. (if you add the malt to already boiling water it will look like a volcano over the top of your pot and over your stove)
  4. keep it on a slow boil for a few minutes.
  5. Carefully add it to the fermenter avoiding splashing it (splashing can add oxygen potentially giving off flavors over time)
  6. Add your can to the fermenter.
  7. Top up the fermenter with water.
With the instructions above you are only one step to adding hops should you decide to give this a go in the future.

FWIW if you are not adding hops I would add only up to 500 grams of malt and 1 kg of dextrose or sugar to a kit as if you use more malt it will end up being too sweet and malty. Check the ingredients on the packs, particularly the brewing sugar as some brewing sugars are just cane sugar anyway. For example 1 kg of CSR brewing sugar consists of 750 grams of cane sugar and 250 grams of maltodextrin. Maltodextrin is corn starch and used to add body to the beer without adding any flavor.

Gavo

OK, well I made it up last night. Here goes ( I have my firesuit on so blast away if you need to LOL) I put 1 kilo of brew sugar and 500 grams of malt in 2 litres of water and boiled (kinda volcanoed half way through) after I cleaned up the small amount of overflow, I simmered for a little while (5 minutes) to get all the sugars disolved. I added that and a can of Brigalow New (tastes really good!!) and about 20 litres of water, waited for temp to be 25 and added the yeast. Now it brewing nicely BUT I have noticed that most of the malt has sunken to the bottom. Is this normal? Will the yeast be able to eat all the sugars or should I add another 5 grams?

OK, well I made it up last night. Here goes ( I have my firesuit on so blast away if you need to LOL) I put 1 kilo of brew sugar and 500 grams of malt in 2 litres of water and boiled (kinda volcanoed half way through) after I cleaned up the small amount of overflow, I simmered for a little while (5 minutes) to get all the sugars disolved. I added that and a can of Brigalow New (tastes really good!!) and about 20 litres of water, waited for temp to be 25 and added the yeast. Now it brewing nicely BUT I have noticed that most of the malt has sunken to the bottom. Is this normal? Will the yeast be able to eat all the sugars or should I add another 5 grams?

Nah should be good. The yeast will find the sugar. Leave the lid on and have a beer.

Sounds good!! Just have to go to BigW and get some more ingedients for my 3 new fermenters!! That makes 8 fermenters all up!!

Sounds all good, and yes it is addictive. Eight fermenters, :eek: some of us have less kegs than that.

Gavo

Sounds good!! Just have to go to BigW and get some more ingedients for my 3 new fermenters!! That makes 8 fermenters all up!!

Holy sh!t 8 fermenters? Nice.
You're borderline commercial brewing now :lol:

Forget borderline commercial brewing........borderline alcho to drink it all!

I sincerely hope that you have alot of thirsty friends

So we're gonna start calling people we don't know alcoholics now are we? Uncalled for, dickhead.

(Yes, we most certainly are calling people we don't know dickheads now.)

Woah........no offence intended! Just pointing out that 8 fermenters on the go at anyone time produces ALOT of beer. Given that a standard ferment last about 4 weeks max we are talking 176L of beer a month, about 6L/18 stubbies of beer a day. Does this not sound like an unhealthy amount of beer to be drinking to you? As far as I know its not all being consumed by the one person, just makes my lonely single 23L fermenter look pretty moderate.

Apologies to Fasty for casting aspersions on his health.

Apologies to Bum for being his 'Lets pick a fight over nothing' target for today

Nah, no harm done!!! I don't have any real friends :( I am just stocking up so I stop drinking it after it's only been in the bottle for 1 week. The brew I am making is suggested to be in the bottle for at least 1 MONTH and even better after 6 months. It's just that when I do something I do have a habit of going big or not at all!!!

Woah........no offence intended! Just pointing out that 8 fermenters on the go at anyone time produces ALOT of beer. Given that a standard ferment last about 4 weeks max we are talking 176L of beer a month, about 6L/18 stubbies of beer a day. Does this not sound like an unhealthy amount of beer to be drinking to you? .

I'll never complain about having too much beer.

I'll never make assumptions about other people's drinking habits.

A man can NEVER have too much beer!!!! It really doesn't cost that much to make and besides, once I have a good stock I can cut down in production or just keep brewing flat out and make some friends!!!

Latest posts

Back