Coopers Lager Supplied Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew

Reaction score
Anyone know exactly what it is and how it reacts to cold fermentation?

Put down 1 today and planned on brewing it in the fridge at 4c - 8c for a few weeks, but as ussual the instructions in the kit are the generic ones for all kits. I am assuming that its a standard dry yeast that they put in all thier kits as well.

It's an all purpose ale yeast which is more tolerant to higher temperatures and I see no point in deliberately fermenting it super-cold. If you want to do a cool fermentation that doesn't take forever, sub the kit yeast with a pack of US-05 which will make a very nice 'fake' lager at 16 to 17 degrees, give it about 10 days in primary. Edit: anything under about 15 degrees, I'm sure, would put the kit yeast to sleep. If you want to go true lager and are willing to go for a few weeks then I'd suggest S-23 dry yeast, or W34/70.

The Coopers ale yeast isn't too bad of itself, I have used it in all grain dark ales and it does the job.

I've brewed the lager a 22 deg with the kit yeast and made a fair drop with a slight fruitiness to it...

But yes its an ale yeast..

Cheers

I assume you refering to the yeast that comes with their original series lager (green can).

If you have one of the others, I've used the 'lager' yeast supplied with the Coopers Pilsner and Bavarian Lager at 14C without any issues.

Latest posts

Back