Coopers Lager Munich Helles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reon

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking at putting this one down on the weekend. Not sure if it needs more bittering though.

1.7kg Coopers Lager
2kg LDME
400gm Carapils steeped
30gm Tettnang pellets @ 15min
10gm Tettnang @ 0min
w34/70 @ 12C

Beersmith says it will be 22.1 IBU and 10.6 EBC only just out of style.

Reon

Looks like a lot of LDME - what volume and OG are you shooting for?

According to BJCP, Helles OG should be 1.045 to 1.051, with 16-22IBU.
I reckon you could get away with the carapils, half the LDME (or even less), subbing in some dex to keep the FG low.

The rest looks OK, though I'd sway toward S189 instead of W34/70 (personal preference).

going to 25L OG 1049. I could sub 1kg LDME for 1kg dextrose or maybe LME. I would rather be all malt than any dex. I do have some S189 but haven't tried W34/70 yet so am keen to do so. I will also fine and polyclar. What sort of results could I expect from using 2kg of malt?

Result would be strong and sweet I would imagine. I think I would also replace half the malt with dex if you wanted to keep it balanced and within the style guidelines otherwise increase your bitterness a little.

I would be interested though in how others would choose to achieve this ie. Double the 15 min addition or implement a 60 min addition. Just how many hops are too many for this style?

Applologies for the mini hijack.

Too much LDME can give a real home brewey twang in my experience that can drown out the other flavours, would also recommend subbing some dex. Hops look fine.
I've also found that LDME can (depending on the quality and where it came from) throw a nasty chill haze, so I would suggest polyclar before bottling or kegging.

OK new recipe is

1.7kg Coopers Lager
1.25kg LDME
500gm Dextrose
400gm Carapils
30gm Tettnang @15min
15gm Tettnang @ 0min
25L w34/70 @12C
OG 1046 FG 1012
IBU 22.2 EBC 8.2

Hows that sound? all input much appreciated

Latest posts