Coopers Lager Cans And Bits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxs19

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have completely drained all of my stocks over xmas and new years and need to get them back up. I've currently got

2x coopers lager cans (the green ones)
1.5 kg can of liquid malt extract
1.5 kg of dried malt extract
1 kg dextrose
1 kg brewcraft no 15 (christ knows whats in this)
150g crystal malt
100g pride of ringwood hops 10.1 AA pellets
100g cascade hops 8.1 AA pellets

2x 25l empty bunnings fermenters

The missus is starting to get on my case about the money that i have been spending on homebrew and also "store bought" beer as i have had to go back to buying beer :angry:

Im looking for some feed back on how to pimp the coopers kits a little and recipes using what i have available. I was planning to do a couple of lager toucans (obviously i would have bought 2 more lager cans) but i think that they will foam out of the fermenters and i really need to start using the ingredients that i have. I would also like to have some of the ingredients left over for future brews :D

Any suggestions or feed back on recipes would be fantastic.

P.S

I have not used hopes before so info on how to use them would be great too

I would do a toucan

2 x coopers tins
half the tin of lme
2 x yeast packets

Mix and fill to 22 ltrs

Hey guys

I have completely drained all of my stocks over xmas and new years and need to get them back up. I've currently got

2x coopers lager cans (the green ones)
1.5 kg can of liquid malt extract
1.5 kg of dried malt extract
1 kg dextrose
1 kg brewcraft no 15 (christ knows whats in this)
150g crystal malt
100g pride of ringwood hops 10.1 AA pellets
100g cascade hops 8.1 AA pellets

2x 25l empty bunnings fermenters

The missus is starting to get on my case about the money that i have been spending on homebrew and also "store bought" beer as i have had to go back to buying beer :angry:

Im looking for some feed back on how to pimp the coopers kits a little and recipes using what i have available. I was planning to do a couple of lager toucans (obviously i would have bought 2 more lager cans) but i think that they will foam out of the fermenters and i really need to start using the ingredients that i have. I would also like to have some of the ingredients left over for future brews :D

Any suggestions or feed back on recipes would be fantastic.

P.S

I have not used hopes before so info on how to use them would be great too

You could knock out 2 brews each using different hops but the same everything else.

1 x coopers 'lager'
1 x lme
500g x dex
75g crystal (I'd be inclined to buy another 150 grams and up the amount to 150 each)
30 min boil with around 20g of chosen hops at the 30-20 minute (as in minutes left) mark.

Pride of ringwood is a signature Australian Hop, Cascade is an American Hop with a citrus edge. Some people prefer PoR as a bittering hop only but others use it as a flavour and aroma hop. I can't speak for it as I haven't used it. Cascade (which I have used) will work as both.

Basically with hops you just throw them into a boil made up of your ingredients + water. Volume and gravity of the boil affect utilisation - if you aim for a 1040 gravity you should be good. Any left over sugar can be added in later (last 5-10 minutes of the boil). Hops give bitterness when added early, flavour and aroma when added later (with emphasis on aroma when added at latest points). The kit will give some bitterness so concentrating on building the flavour/aroma profile is what you would be chasing.

Grain should be cracked, steeped in hot water for 30 - 60 mins (60 -70 degree water is a good level), strained (keep the liquid) rinsed with hot water through the stariner (keep the liquid and then the liquid should be added to the boil (or form the basis of it).

If you are going to buy some more crystal malt, then grab a sachet of dried yeast like Safale Us05.

Otherwise I'm sure the kit yeast will cope.

'Lager Enhancer Brew Blend No.15 (40153)
Special Blend of Malt Extract Corn Syrup and Dextrose. Adds flavour, improves the mouthfeel of your beer and also gives it a better head.'

My guess would be 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextrin and 250g light dry malt extract

Thanks for the responses

I think i will go with the 2 separate brews as this will allow me to put at least 4 slabs away.

In regards to doing a hop boil how many liter pot/kettle will i need. I have my pasta pot which i just measured and the total volume is just over 5L will this be usable?

cheers

Latest posts

Back