Coopers International - English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
I dropped into Daves Home brew today and while getting some yeast picked up a can of Coopers International Series - English Bitter. (I don't usually buy cans)

It's been out for a while now but still hard to find.

Does anyone have any feedback on how it turns out?

What's the suggested additives to make it a little better?

suggestions anyone?

BOG

Not sure why this is in Brewing Competitions & Results?

I dropped into Daves Home brew today and while getting some yeast picked up a can of Coopers International Series - English Bitter. (I don't usually buy cans)

It's been out for a while now but still hard to find.

Does anyone have any feedback on how it turns out?

What's the suggested additives to make it a little better?

suggestions anyone?

BOG
Only been on the shelves since March, so it's a good one to make while fresh.
There is another thread discussing this kit, if you want more opinions/info.

I've made it, and it comes up well, if not slightly too dark for style (deep copper/brown).
They have used Styrian Goldings late in the kettle, giving it some nice character.
I would advise using a better yeast than the one under the lid - this is the standard Coopers Ale yeast, and is not really appropriate for an english Bitter.
Better alternatives would be Nottingham, or Safale S-04, or better still one of the liquid English Ale strains.
Stick with the recommended 500gm DME to make an "Ordinary Bitter" at around 3%, or add a little dex if you want slightly higher ABV.
If you want to get adventurous, steep some UK hops in a cup of boiling water, and tip the lot into the fermenter with the kit.
Say 15-20gm of something like Goldings, Challenger, Northdown or Styrian Goldings, to name a few.

Thanks for the response Hutch.

Sammy, not sure why this post ended up here. I don't believe I posted it here. (do they move?) My mistake I guess.

Maybe admin can move it to the right place or just delete it. I've got the answer now.

BOG

Thanks for the response Hutch.

Sammy, not sure why this post ended up here. I don't believe I posted it here. (do they move?) My mistake I guess.

Maybe admin can move it to the right place or just delete it. I've got the answer now.

BOG

Hi BOG,

I made up a batch around the middle of May and it's come out pretty good. I was playing around because there was not much info on this new kit. Here's what I set down...

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter, 1.5kg Coopers Malt Extract (Light), 250g Crystal grain (15 minutes) @ 65 degrees (in 1lt of water). 15g Pride Ringwood (10 minutes) @65 degrees and 10g Saaz (5 minutes) @ 65 degrees (in 750ml of water) hop tea strained into wort. Safale S-04 yeast dry pitched.

Might read like a pretty funny recipe, but it tastes awesome (at least to my taste buds) plus the family likes it. Comes out of the keg with a deep rich colour and nice head... I will do this again for sure :chug: .

Only observation, it's a tad on the malty side but that's most likely because I switched the recommended 500g of LDME for the 1.5kg Coopers Malt Extract (Light).

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back