Coopers + hops recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micko71

Reaction score
Hey guys. In an effort to minimise costs I'm looking for a coopers lme plus hops recipe that will give a good tasty beer. Has anyone got any tips on what goes with what ? Coopers @ $12 delivered plus hops sounds like a cheap option.

Cheers guys. Anything appreciated.

Micko.

Oh. Sorry. This is how newbie I am. I meant using a can of coopers (anything ) and a dry hop. Any recipes that are half decent. ? Cheers.

Im about to do a coopers blushing blonde plus citra but wont be able to report back for a few weeks

Check the coopers website for recipes. I really enjoyed the fruit salad ale. Also buy your hops in bulk from hop dealz. I grab 4x 250g bags and split with a mate. Grab liquid malt and cans from coopers direct when they have a free shipping deal

Thanks wilderbeast I mean gnu. Lol. Checking website now. Cheers micko.

GNU said:
Check the coopers website for recipes. I really enjoyed the fruit salad ale.

This. I've brewed a few of the recipes from the Coopers site now and they've all been pretty tasty when made properly.

Simple pale ale recipe that tastes great IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7iqgerF748

Thanks n3mi. Will try that next brew. Great vid.

I've made a couple of beers based on the Hop Slam (UK) and the Fruit Salad Ale recipes from their website. I modified the FSA a little bit:

For the FSA I used the following:
  • 1x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale Can
  • 1x 1.5kg Extra Pale Malt Extract Can
  • 150gm Simpsons Medium Crystal Malt
  • 20gm Amarillo Hops
  • 20gm Citra Hops
  • 20gm Cascade Hops
  • Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast

I boiled the hops for 10 minutes, let it chill to approx 73-74C threw in the grain and let it steep for 20m.

Then I dry hopped 3-4 days before bottling with with 6g Amarillo, 12g Citra and 6g Cascade hops. It was very tasty.

The Hop Slam is just settling down, I didn't follow the recipe, I split the hops 50/50 and steeped one set with some crystal malt then kept the remainder for a dry hop. It was very very resinous for the first few months, is 4 months in now and very drinkable, it also tastes (to my palate) better if a little of the yeast from the bottle ends up in the glass than a perfect clear decanting (the FSA is the reverse).

Interesting stuff ! I'm starting to get an idea from all the input. Thanks everyone. I picked up a couple cans of coopers lager while I was in Coles the other day. $10 ea ! Should I do a toucan or try malt / hopping them ? And any ideas as to which hops would suit ?

Hope everyone had a great Easter. 5 kegs got a good workout here lol. Even made a keg of premix Smirnoff for the ladies. Haha.

You can follow most recipes using pale ale, lager, blonde and real ale kit cans by switching the kit can out for one of your lagers if you're going to be playing with hops via a boil or steep. Whilst the kit can does have flavors, think of it more as your bittering addition with malt for the beer.

The recipe posted above looks nice, but after steeping grain, always bring the liquid to the boil after removing the grain as to sterilize it. Grain should never be boiled, as it will release unwanted flavors.

There are two choices with steeping grain or crystal.
1. Put 3L of water in a pot with the grain in the fridge for 24hrs before use. Remove from fridge, remove grain and boil.
2. Put 3L of water in a pot at 67degrees and add grain. Temp easily achieved by adding 2 parts boiling water to 1 part cold in tap water. Remove grain after 30mins and boil.

For both methods it's easiest to have the grain in a bag of sorts so it can easily be removed. Your local might have some grain bags or hop socks. Otherwise stitch up some chux cleaning clothes.

If you want to buy small qty of hops at good prices to try them out cheeky peak is good as you buy per gram.

Help! So I've done 3 brews. All had hops added. I did this by boiling the jug, poured water into a pot. Put 15g Amarillo in for 14 mins then another 15 g for 1 minute then strained liquid into another pot, brought to the boil for a couple minutes then poured into fermenter before making a normal kit brew. I also used lme x 1.5 kg and no Dex or anything with a coopers lager can. Then used muntons yeast I had leftover from some kits. Kegged it. TASTES BLOODY HORRIBLE. ALL 3 !! Wth have I done wrong. ?

1 was Amarillo
1 was saaz
1 was both.

Micko71 said:
Help! So I've done 3 brews. All had hops added. I did this by boiling the jug, poured water into a pot. Put 15g Amarillo in for 14 mins then another 15 g for 1 minute then strained liquid into another pot, brought to the boil for a couple minutes then poured into fermenter before making a normal kit brew. I also used lme x 1.5 kg and no Dex or anything with a coopers lager can. Then used muntons yeast I had leftover from some kits. Kegged it. TASTES BLOODY HORRIBLE. ALL 3 !! Wth have I done wrong. ?

1 was Amarillo
1 was saaz
1 was both.
What temperature did you ferment at?

How long has it been in the keg for?

Also, what type of kit was the yeast from?

The yeast was from muntons pils. Temps have been low except for 2 warmish days 25 or so. But most 21 or less. 1 been in keg for week n a half 2 only 3 days.

But I had my last 3 were drinkable next day from force carb. Maybe it's just the coopers cans ??

Um. Ok. Think I've got it. When I first started brewing again I watched a video on YouTube and some guy had his can in a pot on the stove actually boiling with his CanOpener in it so it was sterilised at the same time. I figured that makes sense so I did that with those three could I have boiled out more bitterness before I even opened the can ? Also I had been taking Sample's to read gravity and didn't take the bubbly out and noticed some water was running back into the Fermenter. I guess that probably put some bacteria in there too?

Latest posts

Back