Coopers Ginger Beer & Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
I have just put down a coopers ginger beer from a tin. I have some packets of Safale US-05 yeast lying around in the fridge - would these be able to be substituted in instead of the supplied coopers yeast?

I have just put down a coopers ginger beer from a tin. I have some packets of Safale US-05 yeast lying around in the fridge - would these be able to be substituted in instead of the supplied coopers yeast?

Howdy,

Definitely.... It is a nicer, cleaner yeast but you just have to make sure to keep the temperatures in check...
I've done a few GBs from the coopers tin and I'm not sure if anyone else has the same issue but they seem to take a reeeaaaalllyy long time to carb up and condition..? Dunno... Maybe they took quite a while due to the time of year but very worth it in the end.

I've never tried it with another yeast but I will now... I reckon it'll be a great result.

Tony

Us-05 will be a crap load better than the yeast with the tin.

I have also found the GB takes a lot longer to carb so at least I'm not the only one.

The one thing I have found though is GB can contaminate your fermenter. It stains the sides and is very difficult to completely get rid of the smell of ginger no matter how hard you wash it. Maybe keep that fermenter for GB only.

Us-05 will be a crap load better than the yeast with the tin.

I have also found the GB takes a lot longer to carb so at least I'm not the only one.

The one thing I have found though is GB can contaminate your fermenter. It stains the sides and is very difficult to completely get rid of the smell of ginger no matter how hard you wash it. Maybe keep that fermenter for GB only.

I found that it was only ginger aroma left in the fermenter.
Never had Ginger taste in subsequent brews.

I found that it was only ginger aroma left in the fermenter.
Never had Ginger taste in subsequent brews.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up using the coopers packet yeast this time. I have previously made a GB about 2 years ago and had no problems with tast contamination in subsequent brews either. Never really noticed carbing issues last time as I bulk primed and bottled, this time I am putting it into a keg to cold condition for a few weeks prior to force carbing, so I will take your experiences on board.

Cheers,

+1....I had written mine off after cracking a number of bottles 2, 3 ,4 weeks after bottling and getting practically flat alcoholic ginger cordial, yuk!....so they sat in a corner of the basement until this week (7 weeks in the bottle) when I decided to empty the bottles down the sink for re-use...as I cracked the first one, I got a very healthy sounding release of pressure...hmmm....poured a glass and what do you know?....not a bad ginger beer at all!

Going to brew a ginger kit with Belgian saison slurry. Should go together well.

Latest posts

Back