Coopers Euro Lager - colour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bt1

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just a quick q being a newb taken by surprise by the dark~ish colour of the Cooper's Euro Lager kit. Made to instructions, only variation was addition of a very small amount of hops.

Is this normal as it's first so no compare?

Any suggestions go forward on these kits for getting toward that real pale straw colour I crave so much?

cheers
bt1

how are you judging its colour? Are you saying it's dark because of the color of the malt extract? Is it still in the fermenter? The only real way to judge the colour will be when you pour it from the bottle after a good amount of conditioning. Yeast in suspension can drastically change how the colour of the beer appears.

Also being a newbie, worry about your temp control, sanitization and storage before you focus on the colour of your beer
if you want something light coloured, make a Cerveza

sp0rk said:
Also being a newbie, worry about your temp control, sanitization and storage before you focus on the colour of your beer
if you want something light coloured, make a Cerveza
Exactly right...one of the best pieces of advice I have every received, colour should be one of the last things you should stress about and even then unless you are entering a comp it is nothing to really worry about anyway

The lager is a little darker in colour. I think most kit beers are. Don't stress too much about the colour.

I replaced the kit yeast with Saflager s-23 and added some Hallertau hops. I also fermented it at 10 degrees, then cold crashed it. It was the best kit beer I have made.

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

Many thanks edge

It look identical from ur pics.

bt1

If it's still in the FV it will always look darker simply because of the volume of liquid in there.

You can't really lighten it except by adding more water and diluting it further but this also dilutes the flavour, bitterness etc. I brewed the Euro kit once with a tin of malt and it turned out a pretty pale straw/yellowish color.

Edgebrew said:
The lager is a little darker in colour. I think most kit beers are. Don't stress too much about the colour.

I replaced the kit yeast with Saflager s-23 and added some Hallertau hops. I also fermented it at 10 degrees, then cold crashed it. It was the best kit beer I have made.
Nice montage

Latest posts

Back