Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Lager (using Coopers Toucan)

Discussion in 'Kits & Extracts' started by manga, 11/6/19.

1. manga

Posted 11/6/19
    For those interested in a dark lager made on the cheap, here is my receipe that I made recently
    with a Coopers Lager kit and a Coopers Dark Ale kit.

I was experimenting to see if these two beer kits could be combined and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome.
    Somewhat bitter, but goes well to counteract the roasted malts.

I used a lager yeast and fermented around 18c, and dry hopped.

1.7kg Coopers Lager kit
    1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale kit
    Dissolved in 15c water until I had 18L volume in the fermenter.
    Gravity was 1.055

Aerated the wort and then spinkled Fermentis Saflager S-23 yeast and stirred until dissolved.

Fermented for 16 days around 18c. On the 9th day, dry hopped with 10g Hallertau hops.

Bottled when gravity was 1.009.

Result:
    Very dark red-brown colour.
    Very clean flavour profile, bitter with a lingering roast flavour from the dark malt.
    Alcohol is quite high, probably 6%.
    I was, however, expecting more aroma from the dry hopping. Maybe try 20g next time.

Overall, I give it a 4/5

2. PaulG79

Posted 4/7/19
    That looks awesome. I've made a few dark lagers from Cooper's recipe kits, I always find them undercarbed in the bottle unless I use two packets of w34/70. Did you keep it to 18L so you could keg it? I kinda feel like this beer would be better if it was at 20 or 22/23, might cut down that bitterness a little.

3. manga

Posted 15/7/19
    Did you keep it to 18L so you could keg it?
    No, I only have bottles. I was aiming for the gravity to be approx. 1.050, as a lot of my other brews were weak in alcohol (around 21L volume). At 18L volume, I got a reading of 1.055 so I stopped adding water.

I kinda feel like this beer would be better if it was at 20 or 22/23.
    That's volume right ? At that volume I would get a weak alcohol beer. Adding some unhopped malt and extra water would help in cutting the bitterness.