Coopers Damper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkFaerytale

Fuggle Abuse
Reaction score
recieved this on my myspace thingo

Coopers Damper
INGREDIENTS...
1 1/2 Cups self raising flour
1 1/2 Cups wholemeal flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
40g grated Parmesan Cheese
375ml Bottle of Coopers Sparkling, Pale Ale or Light (at room temperature)
1 Egg Yolk (for basting)
Sea Salt and mixed herbs to taste
Sift flours with salt and sugar into a bowl.

Add grated Parmesan and Coopers beer
and mix well.

Bake the mixture in a loaf tin for 55 minutes in a moderate oven,
basting once with egg yolk and sprinkling with sea salt and herbs.

Variations include
chopped bacon, fresh herbs, sun-dried tomatoes and olives added to the damper
mix, either separately or in combinations.

i'll be making some of this up on saturday arvo to eat while i drink 3 Leters of cider and watch my fridge defrost on the back verandah. god i live a sheltered life :)

-Phill

Looks good Phil,

I made some bread a few weeks ago with a cup of beer in the dough and was happy with the results.

Might have to give your recipe a go

Kabooby :)

Made one of these on the weekend. Grabbed the recipe after I was invited to a campoven cookout. Used a bottle of not very close to belgian blonde clone, parmesan and basil. Unfortunatly just before I got there it dumped an inch of rain in about 10 minutes and half the fire was in a pool of water. Once we got it stoked back up again and damper cooked it went down a treat with everyone, either with a bit of butter or some olive tapenade.

great actually, i added some bacon and sun dried tomato, bloody ripper. will be interesting to try with different beers. i have a bright ale clone that i'v just put on last night, the hop hit from that will be interesting in the damper

great actually, i added some bacon and sun dried tomato, bloody ripper. will be interesting to try with different beers. i have a bright ale clone that i'v just put on last night, the hop hit from that will be interesting in the damper

sounds great, will have to get a camp-oven.

cheers
Yard

My Aussie bush beer damper recipe

3 cups of self raising flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp of Akudjura powder ground bush tomato
2 tsp native Mountain Pepperleaf powder
tsp of roasted ground wattle seeds
bottle of Cooper Best Extra Stout

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl and then gradually add the beer. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mix comes together. Turn out of the bowl and kneed for several minutes until the dough is smooth. Form the dough into a round loaf shape and score the top of the loaf in six wedges. Put in a hot oven on baking paper on the tray or wire rack and cook at 200 degrees or 180 fan forced spray with water and cook for about 25 30 minutes. The damper is ready when it is crispy on the outside and sounds hollow when tapped. Turn out on a wire rack and cool or rip it apart straight away, slather it in butter and eat with a cup of tea! Btw drink the rest of the stout whilst the damper is cooking.

I made this for an episode of Mercurio's Menu (for the second series coming in Feb 09) I used it to mop up the juices from a slow cooked beef ribs in red wine and pepper dish. Yum!

My Aussie bush beer damper recipe

3 cups of self raising flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp of Akudjura powder ground bush tomato
2 tsp native Mountain Pepperleaf powder
tsp of roasted ground wattle seeds
bottle of Cooper Best Extra Stout

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl and then gradually add the beer. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mix comes together. Turn out of the bowl and kneed for several minutes until the dough is smooth. Form the dough into a round loaf shape and score the top of the loaf in six wedges. Put in a hot oven on baking paper on the tray or wire rack and cook at 200 degrees or 180 fan forced spray with water and cook for about 25 30 minutes. The damper is ready when it is crispy on the outside and sounds hollow when tapped. Turn out on a wire rack and cool or rip it apart straight away, slather it in butter and eat with a cup of tea! Btw drink the rest of the stout whilst the damper is cooking.

I made this for an episode of Mercurio's Menu (for the second series coming in Feb 09) I used it to mop up the juices from a slow cooked beef ribs in red wine and pepper dish. Yum!
Sounds like a top recipe - will be trying this one. What can be used in place of the bush tomato powder? And do you roast the wattle seeds yourself?

Any ideas on the best places to look for native ingredients can't imagine finding wattle seeds in Coles.

Check out http://www.herbies.com.au/ that is where I get my exotic spices from. Great store and they send all over Australia. Also Herbie (or Ian Hemphill) is more than happy to have a chat on the phone or via the internet/email to help out with any requests or questions.

And no I didnt roast the wattle seeds I let Ian do that for me.

Nice One Mercs, Thanks for that will note that one down.

That Damper recipe looks the mouthwatering goods.

Great recipes guys, Got both printed out, and made Phil's on friday, with the help of my 2yo girl, Lily.
Added some sundried tomatoes, and used a stubby of cascade light... hey, I'm not going to drink it, so may as well cook with it.

Lily was licking the doughy spoon after mixing, paused and said "Tastes like Play doh". :lol:Gold!
Turned out great and was awesome sliced up and served with butter

(just gotta get the bush spices ready for yours Merc)

Petesbrew - Kitchen rule number 1 or perhaps 2 or it could even be number 3? In any case it goes like this - "never cook with something you wouldnt drink"

Petesbrew - Kitchen rule number 1 or perhaps 2 or it could even be number 3? In any case it goes like this - "never cook with something you wouldnt drink"
Yeah Merc, I do remember that rule, but hey... :beer: next time I'll experiment with one of my belgians.

By the way, in your recipe is your coopers bottle a tallie or a stubbie? I'm assuming a tallie.
Either way, one of my own stouts will be going in that one.

Cant go past a traditional damper in a camp oven cooked in a bed of coals

S/R flour
ICED water
salt

You need the iced water, it is the true secret of a good bush damper

Should take about 30-60 mins ( depending on size ) to cook in a good bed of Ironbark coals... :D

Yeah Merc, I do remember that rule, but hey... :beer: next time I'll experiment with one of my belgians.

By the way, in your recipe is your coopers bottle a tallie or a stubbie? I'm assuming a tallie.
Either way, one of my own stouts will be going in that one.

Stubbie from memory - just add the beer until you get the consistency right and you can turn it out on a board and give it a knead.

Latest posts

Back