Coopers Canadian Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbrewry

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a easy session beer, not to worried about how strong it is just a beer to smash with some mates. Anyone tried the Canadian blonde can?

thinking of using

1 can Canadian blonde

1kg Dextrose

500g Light malt extract

Dry Hoping it with maybe a tea bag of Cascade

willbrewry said:
I'm thinking about doing a easy session beer, not to worried about how strong it is just a beer to smash with some mates. Anyone tried the Canadian blonde can?
Session beer easy as, just use Coopers Enhancer #2- done
Cheers

Quite acceptable when the relatives come at Christmas. After 4 or 5 hours (1 or 2 19 litre kegs latter), most of them should still be sensible and none of them will care what it tastes like, as long as it looks like beer. Hops would be an unnecessary optional extra, after all, they are are no going to be sitting around all that time continually critiquing it.

Tropico said:
Quite acceptable when the relatives come at Christmas. After 4 or 5 hours (1 or 2 19 litre kegs latter), most of them should still be sensible and none of them will care what it tastes like, as long as it looks like beer. Hops would be an unnecessary optional extra, after all, they are are no going to be sitting around all that time continually critiquing it.
How strong would 1kg of dextrose 500g light malt extract make this beer

I always went the opposite direction, kilo of LDME and half a kilo of dex.
If you can get Morgans tins, their Canadian is excellent as well.
If kegging, fine the shit out of it with gelatine but don't bump the keg afterwards and serve at -3 degrees if possible. Buy a shedload of Headmaster schooner glasses and rotate them through the freezer as you serve.

I've used Canadian blonde a few times. 700 odd g of ldme. Dry hopped them with Galaxy and cascade. Used us05 yeast or the supplied yeast. Always tasted pretty damn good to me.

If you want something a little different. Try adding a bag of frozen strawberries day 2 of fermentation. Kit, 04 yeast and 1kg LDME

Using BrewMate, it comes out at 6.2% for 19L but of course there is loss to yeast cake, so adjusting for loss it's more like 5.5%

willbrewry said:
How did you manage to work that out mate?
Used Brewcraft brewing calculator, just Input the data but when I did it couldnt remember if 500 grams of dry or liquid malt so split the difference ie dry malt- 6.4%; liquid 6%.
Cheers

CanMan said:
I've used Canadian blonde a few times. 700 odd g of ldme. Dry hopped them with Galaxy and cascade. Used us05 yeast or the supplied yeast. Always tasted pretty damn good to me.
No need for dextrose then? Light dry malt is enough, what % did it come out?

Dextrose doesn't really do anything except boost the ABV and thin the beer out. Too much of it can also cause cidery flavours especially if fermented too high. Perhaps try 700g dry malt and 300g dex, ferment around 18-20C, should come out a nice sessionable beer. Cascade dry hop sounds good too.

348505.jpg

Here's some notes from the last one I did.

Coopers Canadian Blonde. #4
Wort Date. 07/07/15
750g DLME
Heated with 1.5 ltrs water.
Fill to 23 litres in fermenter.
us05 yeast. Pitched at 20.
Specific gravity
Start. 1048
Finish. 1011
Average brew temp. = 21
Hops added. = 15/7/15. 25 g Galaxy 10g cascade
Brewed for =
Bottle date = 18/7/15
Bulk primed with 170g dextrose.

Just threw a bit of galaxy and cascade in because of amounts I had lying around.
But either are a nice finish to a brew.

# note the number 4 is for my brew records.
And the ldme heated in water is to you know get it so it's not all lumpy hah. Us05 is just what I started playing with but I'm sure the supplied can yeast is as good as any instead of buying extra. The hops added is just added at end of fermentation for a couple of days in a bag. And the 170g dextrose for bulk priming might be a little high. Maybe around the 150 is a good amount. Happy brewing.

The more I think about doing this beer the less dextrose I'm thinking of using. Might just throw the 500g of malt extract and be done with it

I ended up brewing the beer,

Boiled around 500g DME in 3 litres of water, added crystal for 15min and 0min, poured in fermenter then added another 500g DME and Canadian blonde can, filled to 20l.

OG 1.042

Smells and looks great. Fingers crossed

Back