Coopers canadian blonde..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFergz

Reaction score
So my ideas of my second brew is the coopers Canadian blonde kit, I had a look at the kit instructions and it suggests to use 1kg of brew enhancer 1 (dextrose and maltodextrin) but I was thinking more along the lines of 700gm of dextrose and 500gm of LDME only because of fermentation % and trying to make a good session beer still with some flavour and body... What are your thoughts?

Just after a good summer beer and am very open to other suggestions ☺️

Brew enhancer 2 would probably be better as it's got dex, LDME and maltodextrin.
The BE1 is only dex and maltodextrin.

A hop teabag of "finishing hops" would be a good experiment as well, if you haven't used hops before - in this case something like Cascade. It's expensive per gram but good way of sticking toe into water.

Any minute now somebody is going to post "use a better yeast". The Coopers yeasts aren't too bad, problem being that the sachet could do with being a lot bigger to give you better pitching rate. If you are near a home brew shop you could either get a sachet of Nottingham, that goes well in a lager style beer, or just buy a second Coopers yeast and pitch both.

The most important to keep brew below 20 degrees to help clean flavours.

Sorry meant to ad was thinking of using safale us-05 and was considering hops but haven't had any experience yet but suppose first time for everything hey! Thanks also for the quick response

Good timing!
I'm just about to bottle a Coopers Canadian blonde, had been pondering the same questions but ran with 1kg LDME 200g dextrose and 25g nelson sav hops in a coffee plunger for 10 mins with boiling water straight from the kettle. See pic of the plunger I used.

Coopers kit yeast, had good experience so far.

Temps have between 16-18.
All hydro samples tasted great!
Good luck!

1413093026198.jpg

Ahh solid what yeast did you end up using? Makes me all the more keen to get this next brew rolling just have to wait until my fv is free from a cerveza I started the other week ;)

Good news, I just used the Coopers yeast from the can as I reckon it does a good job, but this is my 4th brew.
might experiment with different yeasts soon though.
I think for my next Canadian I'll use 1kg LDME and 250g-ish of honey, honey simmered in 1 cup water for 20 mins on stovetop to (kill the eucalyptus and dirty honey bugs) with some different hops for the last 5-10 mins for aroma. Apparently honey helps make a crisp drop

Latest posts

Back