Coopers Australian Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite kit is done with the Coopers Pale can, 500g LME, 500g dex & 250g Maltodex with:
20g Amarillo for 20 mins,
15g Amarillo for 10 mins then
15g at flameout.

Done with a recultured Coopers yeast, it makes a beautiful kit beer!

I've done one CPA with 1kg BE2 and supplied yeast and it wasn't bad but then I did a CPA with 1kg BE2 and recultured yeast from three CPA stubbies and I couldn't believe the difference and how closer it came to the original. cheers Kingo

I have used that exact recipe before. It came out very well. I made it up to 23 litres in a 25 litre fermenter. This caused the krausen to bubble through the airlock. So if you are using the same specifications be careful with that as you may end up with a mess.

If you are hoping to create someting similar to the commercial CPA, I would recomend that you reculture the yeast out of longneck of CPA. There is a great PDF download on this site that will show you how to do it. Also I think that they use pride of ringwood hops in the CPA but if you are going to add some hops, don't go crazy with it as it is a low hopped beer.

If your looking to replicate CPA use POR and definitely reculture the yeast from CPA bottles, the apple/pear esters are what gives this beer its distinctive flavour.

Cheers
BB

heres my favorite kit recipe.
1 can CAPA
1kg Brew Enhancer 2
12gr Cascade @40min
12gr Cascade @15min

I suppose some more hops at flame out, or dry hopped would be good as well.

mine in fermeting liek crazy, at 22-24 deg, has a fair smell coming from it as well

yeah i noticed that too mine has been sitting in fermentor for almost a week and has a smell like the egg fart smell some people have talked about with lagers...

it does not taste off so ill continue to ferment and keg.

PS i have got a fair few saaz pellets lieing around and would like to no if i could wack them streight into the fermentor at 5 days into fermentation ?? will this be ok or do i have to boil( stteeeep ) and will the saaz go alright with this kit ??

cheers.
steve.

Myself and two friends are about to put down a CAPA each. We'll buy a 6 pack, each enjoy two stubbies and then harvest the yeast. I'm going to use 500g LDME and 500g Dextrose (I would have done 600g LDME but I was at coles, the boxes are 500g and I'm too stingy to buy 2!) and 12g POR for 5 mins but without leaving the tea bag in the fermenter because my last few with it left in have been slightly too hopped for their style.
PS i have got a fair few saaz pellets lieing around and would like to no if i could wack them streight into the fermentor at 5 days into fermentation ?? will this be ok or do i have to boil( stteeeep ) and will the saaz go alright with this kit ??
You can do it. Hops were originally used as a preservative. From what I understand they just don't introduce infections (I'm sure someone wiser could explain the science of it) so you can throw them into the fermenter in a hop sock or hop ball so they don't disintergrate throughout the wort, without steeping (that's what dry hopping is).
Saaz would definitely give a different flavour to your standard Coopers Pale Ale but that doesn't mean it would necessarily be bad.
Experiment and be damned I say!! :super:

Jono.

i dry hopped when i racked the CPA with saaz as somthing different..... any body tryd this ??? it was abit of an experiment but hope it comes out ok.

cheers.

Go and buy a slab of Coopers Mild Ale its hopped with POR and Saaz hops.

Things can only be ok as long as its ok for you...who else would you be brewing for? :D

Sazz would be interesting, then again, the 'Tarnished Pilsner' in my sig has 24g of Sazz [12 @ 20min, 12 dry in secondary] and its a Golden Harvest tin with 1.5kg Amber liquid malt and 150g Chocolate specialty grain...be something different at any rate hey?

As per above, try it and see how you go!

Cheers - boingk

I have been doin a few pale ales lately. Its the only home brew my missus will drink because it tastes so similar to the commercial product. My first one I did as directed on the can. The next one couldnt get BE2 so Bought 500g DME and added 1kg of sugar (sin I know) The next few with BE2 again. Would have to say adding the extra malt is definitely the way to go. Will be trying cultured yeast for sure then maybe some different hops. Nothin like a little experimentation to keep your taste buds on their toes :D .

Just did a coopers pale ale yesterday, used the kit, used a bit of POR hops and 1.5kg DME. Made a starter from a couple of CPA stubbies as listed here in the forums. Fermenter took off with the starter in an hour and today it's bubbling away every 20 seconds. It's the first light beer I've brewed, mainly done porters, stouts and dark ales so far. First brew I've splashed out on and used no dextrose either (though for the style I guess I should have), however I want to get away from cheap adjuncts and even kit cans soon so this was my first step.

I did a coopers APA, bottled last Saturday;

Can of goo
BE2
250g LDME
Tea bagged a Cascade
Dry hopped about 10g of Chinook Pallets
US05

Only new to the game but f*ck me, tasted the sample from the last reading and it was very LCPA!!

I will give it 6 weeks but I reckon this will be my regular recipe... next addition harvested coopers PA yeast.
:chug:

Cocko.

Back