Converting A 50ltr Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malko

Reaction score
hey guys,

I have managed to aquire some 50ltre kegs (legally!)

has anyone ever convereted one into a usable keg? the ones I have aquired are no longer usable from the brewrey thats why they gave them to me.
What I want to do is make them usable again anyone done it before?

Otherwise i'll convert them into boilers for moonshine.

Malko, Do you mean how to open it up to clean it out? There's a section on Removing a keg spear here on AHB if you want to do that (if it's CUB style that is). Did the brewery give you a reason why they aren't usable anymore?

Otherwise you might need to speak to a publican who is experienced on how to restore them?

EDIT - Just found this video on Youtube:

EDIT2 - forgot to mention - make sure the keg has been de-gassed!!

Cheers,
Rodders.

Last edited by a moderator:
nah not quite what I meant, I mean how do you convert a standard beer keg into one you can use with the keging equipment readily available in HB stores. instead of buying a 19 -21ltr keg from a HB store. since they are $80 for second hand and $130 new. has anyone ever done this?

I was thinking that if I attach couplers to the top of the keg, in the form of welding the threads on and attaching the couplers, all I would then need to do is get the rest of the gear and off I go.

ah yes and no, the kegs I am getting are busted, that's why I'm getting them for free.

the ball valve is buggered from what I hear.

Actually never mind, i'm pretty new to all this and a few hours of research and I have found out all I need to know in regards to getting the replacement spears and couplers.

There is probably plenty of people on this forum with spears lying around from converted keggles :ph34r:

At the cost of replacement kegs a brewery will not give away kegs that can be fixed. They have all the equipment and knowledge to pull spears. I would guess they got rid of them because the rim of the connection is bad and will not seal.

The other possibility is they are perfectly good and the person that gave them away did so with out the knowledge of the brewery. Scrap stainless is way up and scrap kegs are selling for 70 to 80 USD. The deposit has gone up to reflect the scrap value. Last kegs I got from a brewery were 2 years ago and they cost $35.00 US.

Back