Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
But if you could fix it, you wouldn't need to buy a new camera.
Yep, That's the mentality these days.
Want to go for a shock/dust proof one, but the zoom is pathetic compared to the "normal" models.

Just got of the blower with the service manager at Subaru and explained in no uncertain terms that my wifes car wont be needing three new wiper blades ($80), new 'pollen filter'-( $120) and rear disk pads ($750- yes, thats correct). Mind you, the rear pads are still good, but it would be a 'good idea' to change them. I'll fucken bet..

Great cars Subarus, but this kind of bullshit has been an issue since the thing still had the new car smell. Oddly enough, only when my wife drops the car in..

Wow. How old is the car? Onto my second subi and very happy. Haven't experienced anything like that.

Dave70 said:
Just got of the blower with the service manager at Subaru and explained in no uncertain terms that my wifes car wont be needing three new wiper blades ($80), new 'pollen filter'-( $120) and rear disk pads ($750- yes, thats correct). Mind you, the rear pads are still good, but it would be a 'good idea' to change them. I'll fucken bet..

Great cars Subarus, but this kind of bullshit has been an issue since the thing still had the new car smell. Oddly enough, only when my wife drops the car in..
Just never buy an Alfa - great cars new(ish), but servicing involves you being mercilessly deprived of every cent you ever earned and selling your children to sex traders, and if you skip a service they immediately fall apart

Killer Brew said:
Wow. How old is the car? Onto my second subi and very happy. Haven't experienced anything like that.
2010 Forester xt.
Like I said, the car has never missed a beat, just that you always seemed to get raped at service time. I run a business, so I know that shit don't come for free, but eighty ******* dollars for three wiper blades? Come on. It takes like five minutes at the servo. And I could swap out a set of pads in the time it takes to sip through a six pack. (Coopers..) Pollen filter?!?!...get outta here with that shit fella..

They have learned that trick off Mercedes, they don't go by how worn something is they go on the age of the part.

malt & barley blues said:
They have learned that trick off Mercedes, they don't go by how worn something is they go on the age of the part.
And if I was getting my helicopter serviced I'd say fair enough to that.

Also, I don't own a helicopter.

Pollen filter should've been included in the service. I've seen them get pretty chockers but nothing that a bit of compressed air won't remedy.
Subie genuine pads are outrageously priced when a set of $80 bendix probably come from the same factory.
Dealers use a set of standard repair times for most work. Rear pads are charged at around 1.1 hrs labour yet take 5 mins to fit!
Agree Dave that they seem to prey on the opposite sex and the uninformed. I once saw an advisor try and sell a power steering flush to an elderly lady until I told him the car didn't have power steering. But when you make a base wage of 60k for 10hr days as a service advisor, its the commissions from all the flushes and additives that become critical items (even without them looking under the bonnet!).
Dealers have their place but nothing beats a trustworthy small workshop for general repairs.

Dave70 said:

Gee I'll be happy when my new Suby gets here. Just got quotes for wiper blades for my 2006 Cerato (lucky if the car is worth $2000)
RH front $47.20
LH front $38.28
Rear $58.09
I kid you not ....F****ing dealers
Ended up getting a full set of Aero blades delivered for $69 (rear was a standard type )
Now the Cruise control has stopped working (anyone know of an honest Auto Electrician in the Newcastle area?)

Camo6 said:
Pollen filter should've been included in the service. I've seen them get pretty chockers but nothing that a bit of compressed air won't remedy.
Subie genuine pads are outrageously priced when a set of $80 bendix probably come from the same factory.
Dealers use a set of standard repair times for most work. Rear pads are charged at around 1.1 hrs labour yet take 5 mins to fit!
Agree Dave that they seem to prey on the opposite sex and the uninformed. I once saw an advisor try and sell a power steering flush to an elderly lady until I told him the car didn't have power steering. But when you make a base wage of 60k for 10hr days as a service advisor, its the commissions from all the flushes and additives that become critical items (even without them looking under the bonnet!).
Dealers have their place but nothing beats a trustworthy small workshop for general repairs.
Discovered this little caper early on replacing bearings in and seals in dirtbikes. The old man, who did his time as a fitter and toolmaker by clued me in on simply taking the relevant part off to SKF where it was a fraction of the cost of the one Husqvarn, Honda etc supplied in the little plastic bag.
I think the sneaky buggers may have cottoned onto this and re sized some of, at least the internal engine bearings, so that you have to buy genuine.

I can sympathize with folk who get sold a pup in this arena buy less scrupulous operators and count myself lucky to have family in the computer / IT game. Its really not my strong suit.

For example, I dealt with a recent issue with my computer by sending my brother in law this.

Dude - ????????????????????

WP_20150121_001_zpsuxgzskpe.jpg

I went to get a set of wheel bearings from my local Ducati dealer, now most people assume that Ducati parts are gold platted and cost more than what your mother earnt in her entire life.

" That will be about $30 mate" Hands me a set of SKF bearings, which are original OEM

Dave70 said:
I think the sneaky buggers may have cottoned onto this and re sized some of, at least the internal engine bearings, so that you have to buy genuine.
I have a Toyota 5 speed in my ute ( T50 split case alloy box ). Toyota have odd ball size bearings for it and are about $400 for a kit that contains 4 bearings...if you can get them

Latest Foresters are shit house. Get yourself a Rav4 instead. I service and repair both in a large fleet, not every Forester mind you has burning oil problems, but many do. But Havnt had a single problems with the Rav's, cheaper to buy, cheaper to service, and new Ravs are awesome to drive for us tall pricks, seat goes back like a whole furlong.

Disclaimer - I personally own neither.

We'll be getting a FJ cruiser when both the kids are in booster seats for sure.
I like them cos you get all the best things about a Prado without useless stuff like comfort, room and practicality.

I love the FJ Cruiser concept for a 4WD. No diesel, 2 door 5seat, man it harks back to the practicality of the (original) beetle.

But don't forget they make a brilliant Ruckus. Only surpassed in ugliness by the Nissan cube - truth in naming.

Lemon

Dave70 said:
We'll be getting a FJ cruiser when both the kids are in booster seats for sure.
I like them cos you get all the best things about a Prado without useless stuff like comfort, room and practicality.
If you don't want comfort, room or practicality, how can you go past the mighty land rover defender. Its a diesel (are the FJ's yet?) It comes from a time before ergonomics and crumple zones. Goes anywhere, and if you are handy on the spanners parts can be had cheaply when buying direct from the UK.
I have to part with mine soon...
I may just cry a bit...

Don't tell anyone.

Just finished watching the latest episode of the walking dead,now I have to wait another week for the next episode.
Not happy !
Actually speaking of the walking dead ( good for bugger all annoyances ) what's new on the political front ?

spog said:
Just finished watching the latest episode of the walking dead,now I have to wait another week for the next episode.
Not happy !
Actually speaking of the walking dead ( good for bugger all annoyances ) what's new on the political front ?
Latest rumour is Jacqui Lambie and the Australian sex party are going to combine and make a new political party, the 'Lets have a party' party :D

Back