Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
640k ought to be enough for anybody?

goomboogo said:
I think he's going back before floppy disks. Cassettes and a Commodore 64. How many cassettes are needed to download a Blu-ray copy of Apocalypse Now?
C60 or C90 tapes..?

whiteferret said:
Is that a euphemism for something else?

Just wondering.
Nothing fancy. just got three young sons. Oh and cold feet... Again.

Edit: Happy now. 20150325_210645.jpg

jlm said:
Every month or so a post pops up here about making a hole in stainless. The amount of different answers confounds the shit out of me. I just made a 32mm hole in a relatively thick walled 92L pot with an 3 year old 32 mm hole saw (of all things) and trefolex. From the time the pilot drill hit the pot to the clunk of the cut out hitting the other side took no longer than the combined times of tracks 2 and 3 off the new Napalm Death record, i.e., **** all. Blade is still sharp, hole was cut clean. Maybe I need to offer my services at a extortionate rate for people who don't understand USE A HOLE SAW WITH A CUTTING COMPOUND AT A LOW RPM.
Most people don't own a drill that goes slow enough to cut stainless with a bi metal or HSS hole saw. Or have patience to pulse a cheap cordless drill and nasty holesaw from Bunnings to make a neat hole effectively, let alone know what trefolex is ( I'm still getting through my dad's 50 year old tin).

I bought a cheapshit hydraulic punch off eBay and it shits all over any drill, with any holesaw using any lubricant for putting holes in sheet stainless.

Along with holesaws and cordless drills. I also hate ezy outs, cheap thread taps and plumbers tape.

Ezy-outs are bullshit.

I that bolt has sheared off, then an ezy-out wont help.....I know this from bitter hard edged swearing.....

Fat ******* said:
Most people don't own a drill that goes slow enough to cut stainless with a bi metal or HSS hole saw.
I have a Makita that was made in Britain. All plastic body. its about 15yr old. Its been thru hell, but its best feature is the slow speed with heaps of torque....

Ezy outs can be very handy when you're 8 hours into a breakdown, it's 3am and you've just snapped that grease fitting that's older than you and the snapped bit is inside a threaded hole. And of course, the hole is facing a tiny gap where you need to lay across a bunch of hydraulic pipes, with one arm under, and one over to get to.

Then ezy outs can be a god send.

mje1980 said:
Ezy outs can be very handy when you're 8 hours into a breakdown, it's 3am and you've just snapped that grease fitting that's older than you and the snapped bit is inside a threaded hole. And of course, the hole is facing a tiny gap where you need to lay across a bunch of hydraulic pipes, with one arm under, and one over to get to.

Then ezy outs can be a god send.
Point taken.

Ducatiboy stu said:
And in other news.

How to solve drivetrain vibration.

attachicon.gif
unijoint2.jpg

attachicon.gif
Unijoint.jpg
That brings back painful, expensive memories of my XD Falcon panel van. Once upon a time, uni (diff end) started to cough out its needle bearings on the way home from what was at the time, Oran Park (now housing) where a mate and I had just spent the day watching the Swan Series.
By the time we got to Penrith, about 2/3 the way home the caps had also smashed themselves to fragments and left the spider arms flailing about loose in the yokes. It was virtual un drivable. So we kept driving, as young men with no beer close to hand will do.
The upshot was whilst we were driving along making dildo jokes about the cars vibration, I was also destroying the tail shaft yoke. Two weeks later the No 6 main bearing failed on the way to TAFE and drove a conrod through the block. I suspect the the wobbly tail shaft may have played a role here, but I cant prove it.
Thus my motorcycle became my primary mode of transport, and a vow never to own another Ford made.

If it wasn't mechanical failure, it was the door or tailgate handles snapping off in my hands, or the window winders failing, or electrical ******* whatever. The fact that you could fit a Sealy Posturepedic in the back just wasn't enough to offset what a poorly made epic shitbox of a car that thing was.

I think the only way Ford made money in those days was thru the sale of replacement door handles. They must have sold millions of them

spog said:
I have nothing to rant about...who wants an arguement?
Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type makes me puke! You vacuous toffee-nosed malodorous pervert!!

Ducatiboy stu said:
And in other news.

How to solve drivetrain vibration.

unijoint2.jpg

Unijoint.jpg
Was it front or rear Stu? Looks like a bit of "I'll do it next weekend" to me. I ignored the vibe in the WB until one night it went and I thought the doors were gonna fall off. I limped it home and found the front uni was destroyed to the point the vibration had cracked the bell housing end to end. Damn lucky the panel van didn't do a somersault.

sponge said:
Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type makes me puke! You vacuous toffee-nosed malodorous pervert!!

Look, I came here for an argument. I'm not just going to stand here and................

Went to confirm my car rental for a holiday in Tas over the new year to discover the price had jumped in the order of $450 from the original quote. I contacted the company in question and was told the person in charge of entering the pricing had made an error, so, replied I, thats your problem, would you like me to e mail you back the quote? I'll speak to the manager, says she. I'm sorry, but we cant do it for that price, said the manager. Come on, I said, I'll book it now if you can.
No, sorry, cant do it.
Fair enough, I'll have to go elsewhere..........last chance.
I'm sorry sir.

In the end, I got a mid sized SUV for less than the original quote through AVIS anyway. So there.
Arseholes..

Dave70 said:
Went to confirm my car rental for a holiday in Tas over the new year to discover the price had jumped in the order of $450 from the original quote. I contacted the company in question and was told the person in charge of entering the pricing had made an error, so, replied I, thats your problem, would you like me to e mail you back the quote? I'll speak to the manager, says she. I'm sorry, but we cant do it for that price, said the manager. Come on, I said, I'll book it now if you can.
No, sorry, cant do it.
Fair enough, I'll have to go elsewhere..........last chance.
I'm sorry sir.

In the end, I got a mid sized SUV for less than the original quote through AVIS anyway. So there.
Arseholes..
Similar(ish) experience with a travel agent. Had heard conflicting stories about whether you get a better price booking way in advance or waiting til the last minute to grab any remaining 'discounted' seats.
In the end, we figured 'better the devil you know' and booked months in advance, paid up front and waited for the tickets.
Six or so weeks later, got a call from the travel agent - small independant -saying the fuel levy had gone up and we had to pay more for the ticket.
Echoing Daves comments, I said "Thats your problem". She said, no, they cant release the tickets before its paid in full. "I've already paid in full". "No sir you havent, the fuel levy tax (whatever it was) hasnt been paid in full"
Hmmm - so I pay up. Another 6 or so weeks, same phone call. I said "WTF? this is bullshit. A quote is a quote". Same response about releasing, when paid in full. Well this was an 8 week Euro trip, so I was stuck. Already a few G's down, what's another couple of hundgy to keep my ticket. Otherwise cancellation incurred a bigger loss.
Next holiday, went to the travel agent next door, yes exactly the next shop, a flightcentre, retold the story and the FC girl told me that that shit is illegal.
I still dont know, dont care, but always ask...

manticle said:
Look, I came here for an argument. I'm not just going to stand here and................
No you didn't.

mckenry said:
Similar(ish) experience with a travel agent. Had heard conflicting stories about whether you get a better price booking way in advance or waiting til the last minute to grab any remaining 'discounted' seats.
In the end, we figured 'better the devil you know' and booked months in advance, paid up front and waited for the tickets.
Six or so weeks later, got a call from the travel agent - small independant -saying the fuel levy had gone up and we had to pay more for the ticket.
Echoing Daves comments, I said "Thats your problem". She said, no, they cant release the tickets before its paid in full. "I've already paid in full". "No sir you havent, the fuel levy tax (whatever it was) hasnt been paid in full"
Hmmm - so I pay up. Another 6 or so weeks, same phone call. I said "WTF? this is bullshit. A quote is a quote". Same response about releasing, when paid in full. Well this was an 8 week Euro trip, so I was stuck. Already a few G's down, what's another couple of hundgy to keep my ticket. Otherwise cancellation incurred a bigger loss.
Next holiday, went to the travel agent next door, yes exactly the next shop, a flightcentre, retold the story and the FC girl told me that that shit is illegal.
I still dont know, dont care, but always ask...
But when is a quote not a quote.
When they put in the fine print, ' pricing only valid for seven days', or some other goalpost shifting loophole. Its bullshit.
They run their companys like a ******* banana republic.
Arseholes..

Back