Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, i just edited my post to add that I could slice my own !!! Thanks Manticle……I sound like a whinger now !

25mm toast…. :icon_drool2: …with vegemite spread on like its the last time you would ever taste it !!!

CF

AndrewQLD said:
10 days in Thailand which was great, come home to find my three kids 18 - 21yr olds have managed to chew through my 200GB download limit so now it takes up to 5 minutes to load an AHB page. Time and well past time to move them on.
Best of luck with that.

My kids are 2.5(x2),and about to turn 5.

I'll be buying each of them suitcases and boxes for their 18th.

Finish school then get out, that actually did me really well I think. If I didn't have to move to Melbourne for Uni I'd probably have lived with mum and dad until 25 and not learned a thing about living independently.

Well actually, my daughter will be living at home with her windows barred until she's at least 30.

pedleyr said:
Best of luck with that.

My kids are 2.5(x2),and about to turn 5.

I'll be buying each of them suitcases and boxes for their 18th.

Finish school then get out, that actually did me really well I think. If I didn't have to move to Melbourne for Uni I'd probably have lived with mum and dad until 25 and not learned a thing about living independently.

Well actually, my daughter will be living at home with her windows barred until she's at least 30.
Totally agree, been independent since I turned 15ry and 9mths. I'm weak, and for some reason just can't do to my kids what my mother did to me, sadly that is probably to their detriment.

You have three kids and they're not chewing through 200GB every month? I think you should be praising them for being so restrained.

I did a spell in the army (British) when I was younger. It would be hard but I'd support little Harry if he was interested. It's a great way to teach independence.
His mother probably wouldn't agree though.

I left home at 17 to join the army aswell. Probably the best thing I ever did, set me up for life in both experience and financially.

Good mates, good times, good experiences.

If it's a good fit and you go the full 22 yr contract straight from school, you'll come out still being only 38-40yrs old...with a very comfortable pension (rank dependant, but after 22 you'd expect Staff Sgt or WO2 at very least)...and a wealth of experience/training...and civilian resettlement courses. All paid for !

A very good option IMO. You just need to be a bit cluey what arm you sign up to.

I'd recommend aviation, as I did. HEAPS of qualifications and licenses for free, and lots of travel to interesting countries for training exercises.

I obviously have not experienced it as a parent looking on though.

Submariners get pretty good coin. Although you'd need to put up with wet feet if you ended up in a Collins Class.

No pensions in the Army anymore. DFRDB was canned in the early '90's. It is MSBS these days, a standard super scheme (although it does go up to 28 or so percent after 20yrs). That too will soon be retired, another scheme is set to hit us in 2016, no doubt to save the gooberment money. Oh, no Staff SGT anymore either.

What's going on ? I wouldn't be surprised if recruitment numbers are dropping along with staff retention too.

It's been a while since I've been out, and my experience is with the British Army, but I would have thought Aus and Uk services would be very similar. Maybe things are changing back in UK too, but I haven't heard anything.

I'm not sure about Submarines but I was stationed on an aircraft carrier for a few months. It's ok if you like emergency drills, the colour grey and endless bulkheads to step through and doors to close. Then there's all the seamen....

Do you know what happens once a British Soldier serves his 22yrs these days? He joins the Australian Army, collects his British pension and continues his career here. :) They have got it good. We were actively recruiting them in a very successful lateral transfer program a few years back.

practicalfool said:
22 years in one place dishing and taking orders!!!!

Shudder
Sounds like any workplace. The civilian world may present different employers but it's still essentially the same workplace when it comes to taking orders.

Yeah, super is quite good in defence, 17% as soon as you join and a compulsory 5% member contribution.

Alot of the jobs in defence don't really give you qualifications that are transferable but alot of other jobs do. Mind you, since I discharged I haven't had any problems getting work, ADF is handy to have on the resume.

Most diesel mechanic's who done their time in the Army normally quit to become Diesel Mechanic Trainer/Teachers in the real world, and all terrible ones I might add.

I've never been in the military and never would as I like being flexible between farming and working, but I strongly agree those who do should get decent pensions and paid well for it.
I also wouldn't be up in arms if it were like in Greece and many other countries, where ALL who leave school have a mandatory 9month stint in their countries defence force.

goomboogo said:
Sounds like any workplace. The civilian world may present different employers but it's still essentially the same workplace when it comes to taking orders.
Yeah, I s'pose. In fact I considered it, even pitched up for interviews and tests. In the end the recruiter said exactly what was on my mind - I am not entirely enthusiastic about it, would do better in DMO or something. Inside, I was perhaps even dreading the commitment but accepting it, both parents were public servants for long times and lots of family served in the forces - I almost dread working for the govt.

Latest posts

Back