Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was going through the site app on my phone looking for recipes, was sure that there were some on the site somewhere. Musta bin mistaken....or just taken.

Mardoo said:
Why would we want to build on others' experience? I myself created brewing from the ground up, just like all of us here.
My recipes are historical records only.
They're entered into BS2 after I've made up the mix from malts and hops on hand.

We don't need no stinking style guidelines..........

Brew what ya want, if you want to get into replicating a beer do it,if like me more often than not, chuck ingredients into a brew and taste the results...do it.
You may be pleasantly surprised, I have.

All my best beers where just made from throwing stuff in...basically what was on the shelf

I sit and watch the new wave of brewers....and watch them freak out that they missed something by some amount...by a tiny amount..or they dont have the right hops or malt

You will never learn about brewing if you take that attitude

The only way to learn about brewing beers is not NOT use someone else's recipe

Just use what you have and not whinge that its going to take you a few days to get X malt or Y hops

Hear hear!!!! Except the times you want to replicate a recipe to the T, then u need to be spot on.

As both a (former) chef and a (current) brewer I use recipes to learn. I bodged my way through Thai cuisine for a couple years, and made some decent, but not great, food. Then I found a good Thai cookbook that knocked many years off my learning. And then I spent a couple weeks hanging around the kitchen at my hotel in Thailand and that knocked me back out of the recipe book and gave me a solid understanding of the mechanisms at work in Thai cuisine. No shame in using recipes, unless by not doing so you're compensating ;) But if I never get past the point of using recipes, I don't think I actually understand what is going on, beer or food.

Ducatiboy stu said:
The only way to learn about brewing beers is not NOT use someone else's recipe
Are you saying DSGA should be removed from the data base?

POWER OF SUGGESTION
My wife told me that the police had been around to our next door neighbour's house 5 times during the week, she is elderly and a widow, my wife asked her why the police had been coming around, she told my wife that some skinny Somalians had been coming through her doggie door. She has three little terriers who bark if they hear me moving around in my garden.
The neighbour reckons they come over our fence, then over her fence, even though we also have a dog and our back door is left open, we put it down to a touch of Alzheimer's, but I get home tonight and my wife has a Beware of the dog sign on our fence, when I asked the reason for this she replied you can't be to careful with all these home invasions going on! :blink:

Last thing I would do is put a sign up

Just get the biggest badest dog and let them chance it

Latest posts

Back