contamination risk ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphstralph

Reaction score
so my airlock isnt bubbling ( not that i ever judge my ferments by the air lock ) so this means there is a easier way for the c02 to escape and oxygen to enter. im 99 % sure its the rubber gromet for the air lock does this mean i run a risk of contamination for the next few weeks when i leave it in the primary ?
cheers guys :beer:

For the last probably 5 years at least none of my fermentors has been airtight, just loosely screwed on. Most of the time I don't need to unscrew it to take it off, just lift it straight up.

If you're fermenting in a blue cheese cellar or something like that it might be a problem, but yeah, you should be fine mate :)

I've got a cream ale in my new coopers fermenter, the one with no seal no airlock the lid just sits on top. Can't be too bad for the beer not being sealed or they wouldn't make em like this.
Have been a bit hesitant to use it but my old ones 15 years old so will have to change sooner or later.

As long as the contamination wasn't in the fermentor initially. you'll likely be fine.

Tonight I took the lid off my fermentor (it's a clip-on lid), and sat it loosely on top. Sort of simulated open ferment. Much less head pressure on the beer (standard Bitter with West Yorkshire yeast).

The CO2 layer on top of the yeast head will protect the beer a lot too.

Latest posts

Back