Constant Hotbreak foam for 45mins of the boil - why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHB said:
Getting too much malt into the kettle, has the same effect as over sparging, in that starch will be extracted into the wort when there are no active enzymes to convert it.
Mark
I suspect something along this line will be my issue, perhaps with the extra wheat compounding it. Was about a 100min mash in with regular stirs to break up and move the material around. Temp is controlled by a PID and RTD temp sensor and is regularly calibrated so that shouldnt be an issue. Was mashed at 66deg for 90min and then raised to 78deg for 10min.

Guys, there is a lot of difference between using Iodine and a properly made Starch Test solution.
The proper stuff is much more sensitive (down to ppb of starch) a lot easier to spot the change and a lot more reliable. It is worth the small investment to do it right.
Mark

Mark is right - get the correct stuff. But if you are stuck, get some tincture of Iodine from your Chemist and dilute it 1:1 with DI or Distilled water. Take a sample of both wort AND some grist. Use an eye dropper to squirt the Iodine solution into the test sample and mix it around, squashing the grist to make sure you have a fully representative sample. Use a white porcelain saucer to get the best view of the reaction.

Wes

With the highly modified malts most of use use I thought the Iodine test went out years ago, but then again with express brewing it may have found another home...NTL,Hot Break, hot break, as pointed out above is not foam, but importantly..hot break (or the hot break) starts well before the boil, imagine, if you will, making stock, that crap that scums up before the boil is the cooking version, except in cooking you normally remove it, in brewing (well that another story).
On a related topic I tasted a Munich Helles this afternoon ,made with 30% Chit Malt...devine...

K

dr K said:
On a related topic I tasted a Munich Helles this afternoon ,made with 30% Chit Malt...devine...

K
A clean Munich lager made out of shit malt. Who would've thought \m/. Daisy

Well it seems that the hot break foam thing was likely also a failure to get to a good rolling boil. Element was a bit black after the boil, but the beer tonight is quite burnt :(

Hey, to exhaust your pot levels try the partial boil offs.
I batch sparge up to 5 times. I boil the first run off addition and add each run off to boil past that froth stage thing.
5 minimal froths rather than one huge froth.
I don't care for the definitions of that frothing stuff and dont believe in throwing out that malty sugars that you have labored for etc.
$0.02

3V woudl let me do that easily, and was how i used to do it when i was 3Ving. BIAB doesnt give you that staggered luxury though.

Latest posts

Back