Extended boil and hop additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildburkey

Reaction score
I think I have made a mistake - a week ago I brewed my second all grain APA and decided to extend the boil from 60min to 90min without doing proper research into how this changes the hop additions. I added the bittering hops (80g of cascade) @1min into the boil, 48g of Citra at 15min, then another 80g of Cascade at flame out before chilling. It hit a perfect intended OG of 1.048 and I got the volume I had calculated this time and has fermented to 1.010 as expected which I am happy about but it tastes extremely bitter off the fermenter. I'm going to let it clean up for another week; dry hop with galaxy; crash chill and bottle. Would I be right in assuming I should have boiled for 30min before beginning hop additions?

When you say 48g of Citra at 15 mins, I take it you mean 15 mins before end of boil and not 15 mins into the boil?

Bittering additions generally aren't affected by length of boil, in fact on the UK forums where 90min boils seem to be the norm, many posters reckon it gives a "smoother" bitterness.

As above - probably not a massive difference between 90 and 60. Still best to let it all boil for 15 mins or so before the first hop addition. Let that clumpy protein break start to fall away first.

I'd suggest it will turn out similarly to the same beer if you'd started adding hops for a 60 min boil.
Always bitter at the start of fermentation.

Thanks for your input guys, hopefully it'll be alright after secondary :)

Mate that's a shitload of Citra, which you effectively added as a bittering addition.
According to Brewmate on a quick calculation, it reckons that you'd be getting nearly 200 IBU

:blink:

Brewers friend calculates it at 35.3IBU, the mosaic I used in the first brew were 12.5AA and the citra should be about the same (11-13AA), I had no issue with the first batch with a 60min boil. I'm still new to all this so I'll assume you are right on what is wrong here it just doesn't make much sense to me considering the last batch was fine with the early addition. Thanks I'll look into adding later on next time round :)

BTW a 15 minute addition is added 15 minutes before the END of the boil. Not 15 minutes in.
All beer recipes are written this way.

Not according to the recipe I followed but will give this a try next time, thanks all.

Nah it's written for a 60min boil, well that's how I read, here's a pic.
EDIT: OK I think I see where I'm going wrong here now I look at the way you wrote that thanks bradshaw. I have been reading as tho 1min was one minute into the boil, so these are actually count down times?

20160117_221511.jpg

Yep, those boil times are from the end of the boil, so, set a timer for 60 minutes. Add the first addition of Cascade and start the timer. When the timer gets down to 15 minutes left, add the Mosaic, and the same for the 1 min Cascade addition.

If you've done it arse about face and added the second addition with 45 minutes to go then it's no surprise that it has turned out overly bitter.

So all the hops basically went in as bittering hops, hence the massive IBUs

Put it down to experience, it took me a while to get my head round it initially as well.

Yup, I just recalculated using brewers friend and put in the correct times - IBU = 50.05 rather than the intended 35.3. Some great discoveries have been made from mistakes, this however is prob not going to be one of them :-(

Yeah, all hop additions in recipes are written as time before the end of the boil. If it says 15 minutes, you add them 15 minutes before flameout, not 15 minutes into the boil.

Reading the OP again, it appears you've added 80g Cascade at 89 mins then 48g Citra at 75 mins left. The Cascade addition won't be affected much by this, but the Citra addition is where all the extra bitterness has come from - it should have been added with 15 minutes left, not 75.

Dry hop it, and drink it as an IIPA.​
Stupid windows 10 seems to make its own mind up where it wants to place the curser.​

Cheers warra, will give it a try. EDIT: P.S. You may have accidently clicked align text right in the toolbar above the text/ reply box m8.

Agreed, 50 Ibu with lots of dry hop is great! Call it a session IPA!

Back