Connecting To Dial Up Modem Through Iphone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerFingers: I agree that we should use technology where feasible but you'd be very surprised how many systems still rely on PSTN for control. Even as late as last year I was still maintaining equipment that included a 300 baud modem! Most of your traffic warning signs and other similar devices use PSTN for control, the cost of replacing them is far too prohibitive. Even many of the new systems that have a modern comms system nearly all have PSTN fallback. Why? Because it always works.

It's the same thing with pagers, there are still thousands of remote pumps and similar who still use paging for turning them on and off. Have a look at ship telemetry, air warning systems, military radios and thousands of other systems use low baud rate and antiquated technology. Reliability is far more important than peak data rates.

BF... I hope you are able to understand what Deamon is saying....

And yes...I do understand that you are to scared to come from behind the keyboard and actually have the balls to state who and what you know....and I doubt that you would have any clue what happens in the real world...

And I will dig a hole.... as it may be usefull to bury smart ass trolls like you in...

Problem is Dickfingers, Stu has cred and is well respected in his proffesion and also on AHB for his brewing. You on the otherhand try to sell yourself through some dodgy blog which I started to read before I had a coughing fit a few lines in.

We know Stu's cred , what your quals?

BradSpew, it's not a problem for me.
I don't need to tell you what I do, and I don't care for your "Cred".

maybe you can call Stu on his tin-can and string and see if there's enough room in his arse for your pin head?,hey, if it works, why update it for the sake of it.

BF

Should be interesting using a dialup modem on NBN :unsure:

Maintaining the PSTN network just for traffic warning signs and other similar devices is probably also prohibitively expensive.

The writing is on the wall, people should at least start thinking about the idea of having to find alternate solutions.

BeerFingers: I agree that we should use technology where feasible but you'd be very surprised how many systems still rely on PSTN for control. Even as late as last year I was still maintaining equipment that included a 300 baud modem! Most of your traffic warning signs and other similar devices use PSTN for control, the cost of replacing them is far too prohibitive. Even many of the new systems that have a modern comms system nearly all have PSTN fallback. Why? Because it always works.

It's the same thing with pagers, there are still thousands of remote pumps and similar who still use paging for turning them on and off. Have a look at ship telemetry, air warning systems, military radios and thousands of other systems use low baud rate and antiquated technology. Reliability is far more important than peak data rates.

You are rather fun BF..... You like to hide....You know SFA, and the only one who seems to care about you,is, well you....

I will sleep well in the knowledge that you proclaim lots but present nothing to back yourself up...

BradSpew, it's not a problem for me.
I don't need to tell you what I do, and I don't care for your "Cred".

maybe you can call Stu on his tin-can and string and see if there's enough room in his arse for your pin head?,hey, if it works, why update it for the sake of it.

BF

Yep your response was typical for this situation. Thanks for the verification.

Should be interesting using a dialup modem on NBN :unsure:

Maintaining the PSTN network just for traffic warning signs and other similar devices is probably also prohibitively expensive.

The writing is on the wall, people should at least start thinking about the idea of having to find alternate solutions.

NBN will basically be a backbone that you can run many different services like PSTN, DATA, Voip, ATM

PSTN will never die as it is reliable and not everyone will have the benefit or the luxury of a high speed bandwidth access..

Sometimes it is cheaper and easier to install a simple dial-up modem

BeerFingers: I agree that we should use technology where feasible but you'd be very surprised how many systems still rely on PSTN for control.

Hey Daemon,

Thanks for that.
I am completely aware that there are plenty of PSTN systems still in operation, that was never my argument in this thread.
My argument is, and one that Stu has failed to comprehend, is that they should be decommissioned and upgraded (and here's the clincher) Where possible.
The problem is that Stu was so keen to jump in and beat his chest, he forgot to read what I typed, by that time he worked it out, he was already committed.

Cheers,

BF

Why do they NEED to be de-commisioned and upgraded just for the sake of it...where possible

BF... I hope you are able to understand what Deamon is saying....

I know you wont be able to understand my reply.

And yes...I do understand that you are to scared to come from behind the keyboard and actually have the balls to state who and what you know....and I doubt that you would have any clue what happens in the real world...

Stu, I don't care what you think I do or do not know. you are a bumbling idiot, you proved that all by yourself.

And I will dig a hole.... as it may be usefull to bury smart ass trolls like you in...

Did you fashion a shovel from clay and tree bark?
I'm not sure if you should be left with such a task unsupervised Stu.

:icon_cheers:

BF

You are rather fun BF..... You like to hide....You know SFA, and the only one who seems to care about you,is, well you....

I will sleep well in the knowledge that you proclaim lots but present nothing to back yourself up...

Stu, you're not fun, you're an idiot.

There on a rail shutdown At Docklands this week and the client wants the messages changed at 9-10pm Friday night. This might not happen again for another 6 months.
I should really try to get my laptops internal modem to be able to dial out using my VOIP phone as it worked okay when I had PSTN.

Thanks again for the help and advice.
Is there some sort of scheduling built into the sign? We have a couple here that still rely on Dialup to work but you can schedule the sign to change at whatever hour.
Do you know who the manufacturer is for the sign? Maybe you can update the firmware (if there is one available) to allow for the schedule?

Also try posting on Overclockers Australia (ocau). Lots of geekery there :D.

Edit: A bit of font fingering to stand out from the rest...

Is there some sort of scheduling built into the sign? We have a couple here that still rely on Dialup to work but you can schedule the sign to change at whatever hour.
Do you know who the manufacturer is for the sign? Maybe you can update the firmware (if there is one available) to allow for the schedule?

Also try posting on Overclockers Australia (ocau). Lots of geekery there :D.

Edit: A bit of font fingering to stand out from the rest...

Yeh mate there is scheduling but the customer doesnt know the exact time he wants them changed. I ended up telling them they have to pick a time and stick to it so I can use the scheduling.

Hey hows life in Derby anyway? I used to drive a truck from Broome to Derby every Tuesday when I worked for Hampton Transport.

You been living there long?

Back