Connecting To Dial Up Modem Through Iphone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll find most banks no longer use Dialup, only the small ATMs at pubs do. Most use ADSL with a 3G backup or connect via in-house private networks. Dialup is slow and cannot be monitored...its started getting phased out in 2004.

Dialling into PLC's will remain with Dialup for a while - its too damned expensive in a lot of cases to retro-fit old equiment.....in a lot of cases its impossible. Mark's idea does sound the best - setup a work PC/Server with a modem and VPN & RDP into that using your laptop....or get some RDP software on your iPhone

Mark's idea does sound the best - setup a work PC/Server with a modem and VPN & RDP into that using your laptop....or get some RDP software on your iPhone

In theory maybe but getting our IS dept to do all this would be near impossible and take ages. CAPEX request all that sort of thing.
Problem is we only get this problem once in a blue moon. All our new VMS boards can be changed via website log in. Its just these old boards that cant and have to be dialled directly.
There on a rail shutdown At Docklands this week and the client wants the messages changed at 9-10pm Friday night. This might not happen again for another 6 months.
I should really try to get my laptops internal modem to be able to dial out using my VOIP phone as it worked okay when I had PSTN.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Truman is it worth having a chat to your neighbour to see if you can use their landline?

In theory maybe but getting our IS dept to do all this would be near impossible and take ages. CAPEX request all that sort of thing.
Problem is we only get this problem once in a blue moon. All our new VMS boards can be changed via website log in. Its just these old boards that cant and have to be dialled directly.
There on a rail shutdown At Docklands this week and the client wants the messages changed at 9-10pm Friday night. This might not happen again for another 6 months.
I should really try to get my laptops internal modem to be able to dial out using my VOIP phone as it worked okay when I had PSTN.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Analog modems won't work acceptably across a VOIP connection. The killer is the jitter. There is no jitter on a PSTN connection. I think they were working on a spec for VOIP-M, which would allow an old analog modem to be used across a VOIP connection. Basically the software captures the analog modems data transmissions, sends it as data, then reconstructs it at the other end. This is because there is a coming appocalypse when old modem systems won't work with modern VOIP systems ;)

Anyway, probably the best thing to do is setup a dumb gateway machine somewhere on a fixed line with an old modem, and ssh or remote into that. Your entire company could use the same machine if necessary, and you could do it all direct from iPhones with out a laptop too.

The only other option I guess would be to try that PDAnet thing on a jailbroken iPhone.

is your VoIP connection capable of sending a fax? If so maybe you need to change the connection speed on the modem to very low - the modem on the sign should negotiate to the lower speed and work. That said not all VoIP connections are capable of fax transmission.

Truman is it worth having a chat to your neighbour to see if you can use their landline?

Only just moved in in October and dont know the neighbours very well. Good suggestion though... :)

I think I will just have to come out here on Friday night and do it in the office.... :angry:

Especially if VOIP wont work either.

you know what Truman?

You do it once every 6 months...
How hard is it to go over to a mates place and do it from there?
Sling him a couple of beers
It's not that hard to work out.

No offence mate, you're good natured and harmless, but mate, before you post next, just spend 10min trying to work it out yourself, yeah?

This thread shouldn't even exist...

Like I said, no offence

BF

you know what Truman?

You do it once every 6 months...
How hard is it to go over to a mates place and do it from there?
Sling him a couple of beers
It's not that hard to work out.

No offence mate, you're good natured and harmless, but mate, before you post next, just spend 10min trying to work it out yourself, yeah?

This thread shouldn't even exist...

Like I said, no offence

BF

Because I shouldn't have to rely on a mate to do it and Ive asked our IS dept to fix the problem but it takes them so long to do anything. Also its on average every 6 months but next week could happen every night for example, so I wanted to try and sort out a solution that was permanent and hoped the Iphone could be used as a modem like my Nokia was.
Or that I could set it up to dial in through VOIP.

Next time the messages might have to be changed at 2am in the morning which has happened before. I get paid a call out if I do it from home, from work, or a mates house so if I could do it from my loungeroom all the better. It means I can have a few beers after work and not worry about driving anywhere.

No offence taken you've made a good suggestion, but I was looking for the easiest and long term solution.
:icon_cheers:

No offence taken you've made a good suggestion, but I was looking for the easiest and long term solution.

Easiest solution would be to ask this question in a related forum...NOT A BEER FORUM

Did you start that post about sharing folders between XP and Win 7 aswell?

is your VoIP connection capable of sending a fax? If so maybe you need to change the connection speed on the modem to very low - the modem on the sign should negotiate to the lower speed and work. That said not all VoIP connections are capable of fax transmission.

That might work, except sometimes if a voip line can send a fax its because there's a T.98 fax gateway which intercepts the fax signal, transmits it digitally, and reconstructs at the other end.

You can sometimes send faxes through voip, but it is unreliable, and I imagine, if you used the same luck to connect to a sign to update the text you might end up with some strange scrambled signs ;)

Have you still got the Nokia?

If not, get a cheap one, you might even be able to use your iPhone sim in it, with an adapter.

Pull the sim, stick it in the old phone, make the update, then put it back in your iPhone ;)

(Not sure if a 3G sim will work on an old 2G phone)

Because I shouldn't have to rely on a mate to do it and Ive asked our IS dept to fix the problem but it takes them so long to do anything. Also its on average every 6 months but next week could happen every night for example, so I wanted to try and sort out a solution that was permanent and hoped the Iphone could be used as a modem like my Nokia was.
Or that I could set it up to dial in through VOIP.

Next time the messages might have to be changed at 2am in the morning which has happened before. I get paid a call out if I do it from home, from work, or a mates house so if I could do it from my loungeroom all the better. It means I can have a few beers after work and not worry about driving anywhere.

in all honesty, if its a job requirement, then your employer needs to find you a solution.
If work supplied you an iphone and you can't perform your work with it, then they need to find you a solution.

Bottom line, if you can't perform your work due to your employers hardware, its up to your employer to find a solution, not a home brew forum.

Not yours or our problem.

If you want a permanent solution, buy an old phone and a pre-paid sim.

All the answers you have had are feasable. If you don't have the facilities, and don't want to impose on anyone else, then you need to get the facilities.

In short:
No you can't use your iphone for the purpose you require.
You will need to use a different phone, or someone elses facilities.

They are your options.

Cheers,

BF

Easiest solution would be to ask this question in a related forum...NOT A BEER FORUM

Did you start that post about sharing folders between XP and Win 7 aswell?
I just noticed there were a lot of IT guys on here and had no luck searching for an answer. Yes I did post the network thread for the same reason. I thought the pub was for general chat as well so sorry once again.
Hopefully a mod can move both posts to off topic.

Nice Rant, you're in IT, Well Done.

I don't know what systems you deal with, but in a world of connectivity almost anywhere, dial-up is redundant.

Using an analogue modem as failover for a primary connection is ok. Similarly to using a floppy drive if your machine wont boot to run diagnostics.
If your routers don't have failover nodes in place and your external connectivity has failed, sure, connect directly to the box to resolve the issue.
But the need to do that is due to poorly planned infrastructure. you should be able to connect to your failover node and hit the ILO or similar to help diagnose or bounce the box

using dial-up as a primary connection (which is what the OP is doing) is archaic and should be superseded by better technology where possible.

BF

I am not in IT... and you still have your head in your ass

Have you ever bothered to think that some locations can on;y be accessed via dial-up PSTN....

You obviously dont know how many sites dont have an IP connection

I am not in IT... and you still have your head in your ass

Have you ever bothered to think that some locations can on;y be accessed via dial-up PSTN....

You obviously dont know how many sites dont have an IP connection

lol, and you seem to have a reading disability or a complete lack of comprehension.
Which would explain why you're not in IT.

I'll type it again for you, read it slowly and try to keep up
If you need to, read it a couple of times and get someone to slowly explain it to you.

dial-up is archaic, and should be superseded by newer technology where possible.

I hope you manage to work it out.

BF

P.S. Can you smell shit?

lol, and you seem to have a reading disability or a complete lack of comprehension.
Which would explain why you're not in IT.

I'll type it again for you, read it slowly and try to keep up
If you need to, read it a couple of times and get someone to slowly explain it to you.

dial-up is archaic, and should be superseded by newer technology where possible.

I hope you manage to work it out.

BF

P.S. Can you smell shit?

Why should it be need to be superseded by newer technology just for the sake of it...

I hear this all the time, and it usually comes form fresh uni grads who think IT ii all there is in the world..

The only shit i can smell is yours... and it is diarrhoea

Would you care to enlighten us as to your education, time & experience in the industry

Why should it be need to be superseded by newer technology just for the sake of it...

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!, are you ******* serious?
hehehehe, Sorry, took me a few minutes to wipe the tears away from my eyes from laughing so hard at that one.

So, why aren't you sending me your post's via morse code? or smoke signals? or banging a ******* rock on a log, you idiot!

I hear this all the time, and it usually comes form fresh uni grads who think IT ii all there is in the world..

You mean the people that have just studied the latest technology and will supersede the pair of us?

The only shit i can smell is yours... and it is diarrhoea

Sorry Stu, after the 1st line of your last post, there's not enough room in your arse for the two of us.
That being said, at least your brains are in the right spot.

Would you care to enlighten us as to your education, time & experience in the industry

No, i'm happy just to sit back and watch you dig a hole. :icon_cheers:

BF

BeerFingers: I agree that we should use technology where feasible but you'd be very surprised how many systems still rely on PSTN for control. Even as late as last year I was still maintaining equipment that included a 300 baud modem! Most of your traffic warning signs and other similar devices use PSTN for control, the cost of replacing them is far too prohibitive. Even many of the new systems that have a modern comms system nearly all have PSTN fallback. Why? Because it always works.

It's the same thing with pagers, there are still thousands of remote pumps and similar who still use paging for turning them on and off. Have a look at ship telemetry, air warning systems, military radios and thousands of other systems use low baud rate and antiquated technology. Reliability is far more important than peak data rates.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!, are you ******* serious?
hehehehe, Sorry, took me a few minutes to wipe the tears away from my eyes from laughing so hard at that one.

So, why aren't you sending me your post's via morse code? or smoke signals? or banging a ******* rock on a log, you idiot!

You mean the people that have just studied the latest technology and will supersede the pair of us?

Sorry Stu, after the 1st line of your last post, there's not enough room in your arse for the two of us.
That being said, at least your brains are in the right spot.

No, i'm happy just to sit back and watch you dig a hole. :icon_cheers:

BF

Problem is Dickfingers, Stu has cred and is well respected in his proffesion and also on AHB for his brewing. You on the otherhand try to sell yourself through some dodgy blog which I started to read before I had a coughing fit a few lines in.

We know Stu's cred , what your quals?

Back