Conical Fermenter Jacket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olskoolsoulja

Reaction score
HI,
Does anybody Know a website of a stainless conical fermenter with a cooling jacket or any other info .I might roll up some staino sheet and make one up.

cheers
Rich

Im trying to find out if straight liquid gets pumped in and out the jacket or is there tubing coiled and weled to the fermenter.
I would have thought that liquid against the fermenter would give better heat transfer. I was think somthing like a corksrew around the outside of the fermenter inside the jacket to swirl the liquid around from top to bottom.

If you go ahead can we have some pics?

Just wondering if its easier to design it to fit in your brewing fridge rather than have to make a jacket for it?

Im trying to find out if straight liquid gets pumped in and out the jacket or is there tubing coiled and weled to the fermenter.
I would have thought that liquid against the fermenter would give better heat transfer. I was think somthing like a corksrew around the outside of the fermenter inside the jacket to swirl the liquid around from top to bottom.

The commercial jacketed fermenters I'm familiar with (2800l) seem to have spacers to keep the inner & outer walls separated. I'm basing this on the polka dot frost pattern that I could see on the inside of a fermenter that had just been drained but hadn't had the glycol shut off. They definitely didn't have an inner tubing network.

If you can easily manage to incorporate internal fins to swirl the glycol/coolant, go for it. If not, I don't think that the performance will suffer very much.

The More Beer jacketed conicals have a peltier heat exchanger fitted through the jacket. There are no cooling lines around/through the jacket it self. There is a US brewer that made a s/s coil fitted to the lid of his conical to do just what you want. You will have to look through some of the US forums to find a link to his site.

I thought that dimple pattern was like a series of little pipes.

Early days yet, I havent markout or skid rolled a cone in years Ill have to find a program. Any ideas for the cooling system would be good.

Im already in the process of buying a plastic one for my frezer I'd like to build one more satisfaction.

Rich

Definitely not little pipes. I know of one fermenter in a local micro that was dropped about 5' off of a fork lift and is rather oblong instead of circular. It definitely doesn't have internal piping because the jacket still cools around the entire circumference and the unit doesn't have any caved in areas. The outer-to-inner wall spacing is uniform despite the dents and deformities.

The More Beer jacketed conicals have a peltier heat exchanger fitted through the jacket. There are no cooling lines around/through the jacket it self. There is a US brewer that made a s/s coil fitted to the lid of his conical to do just what you want. You will have to look through some of the US forums to find a link to his site.

I think thats a great idea, easy to clean and it would keep the beer at a more constant temp i would think.

I wonder how much energy the peltier draws... my understanding is that they're seriously thirsty little fellas...

Andy

I wonder how much energy the peltier draws... my understanding is that they're seriously thirsty little fellas...

Andy

Peltiers are usually low voltage but high wattage. I don't know what size they use for the conical jacket but for a peltier to cool something that large it would have to be high wattage, well over 300W. So they certainly aren't economical to run even compared to a fridge.

I thought that dimple pattern was like a series of little pipes.

Rich

The main jobs of those little dimples is to support the outer skin, and provide turbulence for the cooling media flowing through the jacket.

(In a similar way that a convoluted CFC is more efficient than a straight CFC.)

Back