Computer Virus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried Ubuntu as a dual boot option on the brewery computer, it won't setup either of my wireless network cards to work, even after following the internet instructions for doing so. Tossed the install cd in the bin and will be uninstalling it. Gave it a chance and it failed. I love the idea of it, but it requires too much of my time to work with it to get it to work.

<edit for the anti virus thingy>

Mate I had the EXACT problem with Ubuntu and Mint setting up the wireless from an install. I spent hours trying all the fwcutter and other rubbish. fail. What you need to do and it works 100% of the time is:

Have a pc or mac connected to the internet. In my case I have wireless (airport) to the cable modem on the imac. I just plugged in the laptop via ethernet cable and shared internet from wireless to the Ethernet cable giving laptop internet access. Both ubuntu and mint downloaded the B43 drivers, installed in under a minute and wireless works great now on linux. It's the only fool proof way to get mainly the b43 drivers onto linux distros. Plugging a ethernet cable directly in a modem from laptop will work just the same. Mint and Ubuntu setup the ethernet connection etc without any problems.

i use win 7 (free as a student) win xp, ubuntu and hackentosh on a loptop... i want to hate windows but win 7 works so well. I run linux to try and hate windows but i often boot to win 7 as .... well it works

i will keep playinging with ubuntu but to be honest i do getting sick of using wine etc to get programs working. ( i know people will say use the free software, but often people require office files etc)

Linux is great for web servers and Apple is great for arty wankers.

For everything else Windows is the best.

Mate I had the EXACT problem with Ubuntu and Mint setting up the wireless from an install. I spent hours trying all the fwcutter and other rubbish. fail. What you need to do and it works 100% of the time is:

Have a pc or mac connected to the internet. In my case I have wireless (airport) to the cable modem on the imac. I just plugged in the laptop via ethernet cable and shared internet from wireless to the Ethernet cable giving laptop internet access. Both ubuntu and mint downloaded the B43 drivers, installed in under a minute and wireless works great now on linux. It's the only fool proof way to get mainly the b43 drivers onto linux distros. Plugging a ethernet cable directly in a modem from laptop will work just the same. Mint and Ubuntu setup the ethernet connection etc without any problems.

Awesome, next time I get the time I will try this!!!

zzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz

Was scratching my head, but I think I love this thread. The thought of all the people googling for 'linux, windows, macintosh' and ending up on AHB :lol:

I use a typewriter.

And then scan it in via some OCR program so that you can post it on AHB? ;)

Actually, I have only used Windows for years, but being a reasonably savvy dude and all I have not had a virus since my computer got "Stoned" in 1987.

Its not the fault of Ubuntu/Mint Linux not to be able to use your wireles card...

Its all comes down to the manufacturer of the respective card not releasing the source code to enable them to work under linux.

Same goes for printers... Lexmark are a no go for linux..

Video/Graphics cards also fall into the same boat..

Some harware manufacturers make their products only for Win ....

Given time, this will change...

I often wonder why when I install a printer in Win it need 30MB of disk space, but the same printer in Linux needs a 100Kb file... B)

Back