Good Anti Adware software?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosco

Reaction score
I have a really annoying adware problem that I cant seem to get rid of. Im a bit out of the loop with this kinda stuff. Ive been using Avast free anti virus for a long time now and have had no problems. I still have Spybot S&D installed just out of old habits.

I was looking for online comics of all things and got hit with a nasty adware prog. I doesnt affect AHB but when Im browsing I get Flash style pop up ads in the lower right of the screen or right in the middle with a bogus "X" close button or most annoying is a new tab with a full ad. I thought I was a bit more savvy than that but.

Anyway I tried Adaware which was ok about 15 years ago. It found nothing. I updated Spybot. It found 103 problems but didnt seem to fix it. I am about to install Malwarebytes but it looks like it might "find" some problems and then suggest I pay a small monthly fee to fix it.

Any one know of a good mal/adware prog?

Im pretty happy with Avast for virus's but adware seems to have gotten a bit more sophisticated since I last was paying attention.

Adblock plugin for your browser for Chrome, Firefox & Opera.

Spybot and Adaware wont stop browser pop ups which is what you are getting. Those programs are more designed for downloaded malicious programs

If you use IE then you....well lets put it this way...IE is SHIT and I have no sympathy for anyone who uses it

check out www.fosshub.com

+1 for adblock, does a great job and also give the thumbs up for Panda antivirus free

UBlock Origin would be my pick over Adblock and Adblock plus

+1 for adblock plus browser plugin and like Stu said don't use Internet Explorer as your browser.

Thanks all. Malwarebytes seems to have fixed it but ill get adblock for firefox too.

+1 adblock

I also use Better, Faster, Private Browsing on chrome in addition to adblock, it catches some stuff that slips through.

Ublock Origin is O.K. but the best of the lot with no memory usage and works on any computer with any browser is this hosts file mod guaranteed to work with no dicking around..

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm It does not filter ads it stops them from even entering the computer from source.

YES...Host files are the bee's knees when it comes to blocking adds. Although tricky for those that are not savy with IP and URL's. CAn take a while to build up a host libary, but well worth it :)

Ducatiboy stu said:
YES...Host files are the bee's knees when it comes to blocking adds. Although tricky for those that are not savy with IP and URL's. CAn take a while to build up a host libary, but well worth it :)
If you use the above all the work done for you one click restart and easy to reverse although you should always backup first.

Handy go back every 6 months to update the blocking list.

Yes, but there are always new URL's popping up so you need to be on top of it. Most browsers will show you down the bottom what URL's are being accessed. Take note and add them to the host list

+1 Adblock plus.

I use Firefox with Adblock plus, ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG Antivirus (I know the negative particulars), Ghostery and run Malwarebytes every so often. Only ever had one issue, and anyone with a brain would have picked up on it. Machine quick as and secure.

I get onto someone else's computer and can't believe what I am seeing.

Latest posts

Back