Commercial Beer Crown Seal Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
What commercial beers can you buy these days that use crown seal bottles not the twist top that i can use to bottle instead of those shitty plastic coopers ones.

I got lucky that my grandmother had 7 or 8 grolsch swig tops my grandfather used to put his rocketfuel in.

Heaps I guess. Heineken, Corona, Becks, James Squire range, Hahn Premium, Bluetongue ... But unless you enjoy the process of bottling heaps of 375ml bottles you might want to go for longnecks. One of my mates who homebrews with a circle of buddies suggested to me that I should have a longneck party. Pretty much you but on the food and nibblies and all you mates rock up with 3 cappable longneck bottles (equivalent to a 6 pack). After the party, you keep the bottles and voila you have bottles suitable for homebrew.

Grolsch bottles are really handy if you do any high pressure beers (ABV above 6.5%). Grolsch magnum 1.5l are awesome to brew in, and really cool to serve.

Mic

Coopers in longnecks are crown seal. The bottles also seem to be heavier than standard longnecks from LN/CUB. As mentioned James Squire beers are crown seal and are brown - better for protecting your beer from the effects of light.

Ask at your LHBS or keep your eye on ebay if you want to buy crown seal bottles rather than 'earn' them.

The other option is to just use twist top bottles. If you have a bench capper, twisties work just fine.

A lot of micros are using the same 'off the rack' ACI 330ml longneck: Little creatures, Kirin (Malt Shovel), Bootleg, Jarah Jacks, etc. Smart looking little bottle with a large, flat label panel.

Looking up a price at some distributors now, might be interesting to see how many we need to buy to get a bulk buy discount :) Looks like it might be 2880 bottles!
[/quote]

Plasdene GlassPak @ Milperra sell them. google them for the website for a bottle perv.
No need for bulk, just have to spend a minimum of about $50.
Cheers
Gerard

Hansa Pils come in 500ml crown bottles. I find these good because sometimes you dont feel like a full 750ml or it is warm before you finish it. Alot of other german beers come in 500ml but not as cheap as Hansa. You notice the difference in taste though with the cheap Hansa but it beats most of the aussie stuff out there. Cant remember the last time I bought a carton of aussie beer, must be well over ten years now.
Just cant handle adjunts in my beer. I prefer 100% malt.

anyone used those 1L swing top bottles that you can get cheap at like golo and big W

And here i am moving down south soon and having to decide whether to chuck my collection of 750ml crown seal bottles due to a potential space problem in the sea container issue. :angry:
Time will tell.

Cheers
Big D

Coopers in longnecks are crown seal. The bottles also seem to be heavier than standard longnecks from LN/CUB.
They're also one of the few bottles that dont have "no refill" printed on them, leading me to believe the thicker glass is there for homebrewer's safety. Thanks coopers!

Coopers in longnecks are crown seal. The bottles also seem to be heavier than standard longnecks from LN/CUB.
They're also one of the few bottles that dont have "no refill" printed on them, leading me to believe the thicker glass is there for homebrewer's safety. Thanks coopers!
They recently changed to a heavier bottle claiming to have homebrewers in mind when doing so.

I thought screw tops were a manifestation of the evolution of technology, reflecting the development of human intelligence :lol:

A lot of micros are using the same 'off the rack' ACI 330ml longneck: Little creatures, Kirin (Malt Shovel), Bootleg, Jarah Jacks, etc. Smart looking little bottle with a large, flat label panel.

You mean this one?

http://www.acipackaging.com/ACIProduct.nsf...28?OpenDocument

Looking up a price at some distributors now, might be interesting to see how many we need to buy to get a bulk buy discount :) Looks like it might be 2880 bottles!

I found out how much the bottles are - basically $0.24 each in some bulk. Minimum order $100, which works out to be 8 cases of 52 bottles @$12.50 ex GST each. Add on a $25 delivery charge and it's $125 or $17.20 per case of 52 bottles including GST for an order of 8 cases.

Is anyone interested in a small bulk buy, i would be keen to pick up about 3-4 boxes at this price, so i need someone to take another 4 or more boxes from me (i'm in Stanmore). No real rush though so i can afford to add up some orders if need be. I don't want to take too many though because i'd need a warehouse to supply enough bottles for some of you guys! :D

Before i worry too much though, does anyone know if these are any good to bottle repeatedly in? I'll test it out with a LC bottle soon but has anyone tried?

Is that $25 per box of 52 for the bottles or $25 for the entire delivery?

And DJR any Tooheys, VB, Carlton or virtually any commercial bottle is fine to reuse I have some that I've reused over 20 times and never had a drama, that bottles break is pretty much a myth - unless you get the very thin type. - Coopers and West End spring to mind.

Is that $25 per box of 52 for the bottles or $25 for the entire delivery?

And DJR any Tooheys, VB, Carlton or virtually any commercial bottle is fine to reuse I have some that I've reused over 20 times and never had a drama, that bottles break is pretty much a myth - unless you get the very thin type. - Coopers and West End spring to mind.

$25 for the whole delivery unless you order a pallet or more than $250 - then the delivery is free. Still if i got 10 boxes $25 would come down to $2.50 delivery for each or $16.50 inc GST inc Delivery per carton of 52. Sounds like a pretty good deal even compared to cooper's PET longies at $10 for 15.

I was up for a bulk buy of champers bottles about 12 months ago, couldn't find and takers so just bought the missus heaps of that foul tasting shite, she thought I was soo nice until she asked why I was asking her to drink them so fast!

Enter the re-entry of the 'pickaxe' thanks to coopers...

Great bottles, you can buy them for $4.30 to $5.80 each. (Have the added bonus of being filled with great beer, even a culturable yeast). :party:

Back