Coles Brand Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to get some LCPA to see what all the rave is about.
Certainly wont be trying any new blond crap :icon_vomit:

We should all go to its facebook page and talk it down! and give them tossers a lesson in Beer!
While living in Edinburgh Scotland for a bit i noticed that one of the big supermarkets (Tesco) Had there own beer and Vodka! There piceses undercut everything else but still you would only ever see the homless alco or the 15 year old with not much cash drinking it!

I can see it now on the shelves; "You'll Love Coles Beer". And like the rest of the YLC range, you'll have a picture of a random person person chugging down one of the beers on the packaging.

I'm sure the "Woolworths Select Beer" won't be far behind.

"Woolworths Select Beer" has been around for a couple of years now. They've started expanding it this year with their stake in Gage Roads

Supermarket brand beers have been common in the UK for decades. In fact the CO-OP chain, not unlike our IGA chain here, had their own brewery in Manchester up till the 1980s. On arrival in Australia around that time I was surprised that supermarkets didn't have their own brand beers. However the UK is geographically close to breweries such as Bavaria in Holland that supply a lot of their lagers (not to mention Liquorland over here :beerbang: ) - Australia is catching up with common practice overseas.

What makes me wet my pants laughing is that so many trendy funsters with their sunglasses on their heads drink this stuff (Carlton Blonde) thinking it is the 'now' beer.

Yeah, putting sunglasses on your head while your inside, what IDIOTS!

You guys think Maxx Blonde is bad??? Wait 'til you see their cleanskin beer the next time you go to 1st Choice. They tell me it's made in Vietnam....go figure :icon_vomit: .

BTW, Maxx Blonde is made in New Zealand.

Bowie

"Why pay over $42 dollars for pure blonde when you can MAXX OUT ON LIFE with Maxx Blonde. Brewed to the MAXX for for MAXXIMUM Taste."

:icon_vomit:

oh, and I lived in Rocky for 3 years...absolute hell. XXXX was all I drank back then, actually I remember when Bundy Rum marketed a rum beer that I was fortunate ( :blink: ) enough to be at the launch of. It was Rum combined with beer...obviously...but never lasted in the market. Horrid stuff, but i stole a 6 pack that night because I was a poor Uni student and didn't care how/what got me to where I needed to be.

...aahhh Rocky.

Bowie

"I love a beer with the boys"

Kevin, Bogan................

Can't be worse than the one for Hoikken noodles...

"I always have a pack in the fridge"
Nancy, noodle fan.....

The wife and I laugh at that everytime we buy them.

"Great for getting shitfaced"
Bazza, 4th generation Rooty Hill royalty....
"Low carb is good for my gut" Coby, Maroubra...

Why is it MAXX with 2 X's? Does this make it more intense/extreme??? Cos Pepsi Max had people jumping out planes and other dumb stuff, does MAXX with 2 X's make you go further, cooler what??

I know marketing people (the term people is used loosely) are scum, and try to hype the shit out any crap they're trying to flog, but MAXX with 2 X's seems really shit.

That said, $600million a year market for low-carb beers, geez there are a lot of flogs out there!!!!

Cheers SJ

oh, and I lived in Rocky for 3 years...absolute hell. XXXX was all I drank back then, actually I remember when Bundy Rum marketed a rum beer that I was fortunate ( :blink: ) enough to be at the launch of. It was Rum combined with beer...obviously...but never lasted in the market. Horrid stuff, but i stole a 6 pack that night because I was a poor Uni student and didn't care how/what got me to where I needed to be.

...aahhh Rocky.

Bowie

I can't recall the rum beer (and I'll count myself lucky) I do seem to recall XXXX launching a wheat beer when I lived there. Does anyone else remember that one or did I just dream of it. Thirsty Dog I think it was called.

You guys think Maxx Blonde is bad??? Wait 'til you see their cleanskin beer the next time you go to 1st Choice. They tell me it's made in Vietnam....go figure :icon_vomit: .

BTW, Maxx Blonde is made in New Zealand.

Bowie

According to Fourstar and Neville from Gryphon, both of whom spend time over there, the beer is actually pretty good in Vietnam and shytes all over VB or Tooheys.

If Maxx Blonde is made in New Zealand I wonder if it's made by the same mob who started off Haagen? I remember that Haagen was brewed there and later some mob in Victoria took on the franchise but I wouldn't imagine either Lion or Fosters countenancing one of their breweries making supermarket beer so I guess it would have to be an independent like Haagen.

+1 on the Viet beers, if they are anything like Fourstars Vietnamese style Rice Lager it is nothing to be sniffed at. Very good quaffer for a stinking hot day.

Cheers SJ

+1 on the Viet beers, if they are anything like Fourstars Vietnamese style Rice Lager it is nothing to be sniffed at. Very good quaffer for a stinking hot day.

Cheers SJ

I've sampled a few Vietnamese lagers in the Saigon suburb of Marrickville. Not the greatest beer on Earth, but pisses all over Aus megaswill.

From The Age's story on Woolies:
Foster's general manager beer, Peter Sinclair, said it had been "interesting" to see the low-carb segment grow off the back of Pure Blonde's success.

"Beer is highly competitive and the brands that will succeed will be those that capitalise on trends but are also backed by a serious investment in product development and marketing."

Typical, these guys think about everything to do with selling beer except the beer itself.

Foster's general manager beer, Peter Sinclair, said it had been "interesting" to see the low-carb segment grow off the back of Pure Blonde's success.

"Beer is highly competitive and the brands that will succeed will be those that capitalise on trends but are also backed by a serious investment in product development and marketing."

WTF? Product Development? Haha!

How is ripping off a recipe you've had in the basement for Diet Ale product development? :lol: Hilarious. These guys have just reinvented the wheel.

Let's do a timeline:

Diet Ale> Diamond Draft> Carlton LJ> Carlton Pure Blonde> VBRaw> Next Crappy Tasting Beverage some sucker will drink.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back