Coles And Bi-lo Delete Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe this is a conspiracy - one step closer to prohibition :icon_vomit: just jokes.

Just a pity Coles don't stock the really good kits , love to see those go out at a bargain price!!

Normally only buy crown seals and carbonation drops from them on the odd occasion, still its going to get a bit annoying if I forget to order these consumables when I buy my grain. Think i may just have to increase the amount of these I keep on hand its not like stocking up on these for the future will break the budget.

Woolies is closer, but a SuperBarn is near my preferred butcher, but yet again today on rare occasion I was in a different centre and shopped at Coles as it was the only option. I did scan the home brew section (I always do) even though I'm AG, but they were all full price on the shelf at my Coles today :p

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

different companies a bit more like tweedle dee and tweedle dum, i have always been amused how they have the same specials on a week apart.

Because the supplier provides a discount in order to promote continued sales of their product?

Not an issue for me as I already have chosen not to shop at the likes of the 2 headed Beast(Coles & Woolworth)I perfer to maintain my freedom of choice rather then being dictated too by a pair of thugs with their over inflated prices, limited selections market dominance in the guise of convenience.....

OT but

They are a horrible rip off aren't they? We have a local fruit market up the road as well as a halal butcher. I can spend approximately one third of the amount of money to feed myself and my partner that I would at a major supermarket. Also have an independent italian run supermarket nearby with attached deli, butcher and bakery. I have very little need to go to the majors although there are still ocassional items I buy. I just resent walking out with a small basket's worth and paying 70+ dollars when I know I can eat for a week if I spend that elsewhere.

Rip off? With the average family looking at what you (granted old days) used to be able to buy a car for every year in food bills (7K-14K depending on size of family) each year. You could be smart and bring in land consultants and buy in 6K worth of food trees and plants and start your own gardens and cut your food bill way down or to nothing if fully independent minded individual. Imagine what you can do without an Austrlalian Supermarket rip off bill each year? You could even reduce the number of days you work and spend more time in the garden, get a lower paying lower stress job perhaps right close to the house so there goes your fuel bills as well :)

My medium term goal is to reduce food bill and increase gardens and home orchards on all the free land on the property. Long term goal is to sell up and go sub tropical and start an entire food forest of exotic fruits and do a small holding and cut my supermarket bills down to literally nothing.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Not an issue for me as I already have chosen not to shop at the likes of the 2 headed Beast(Coles & Woolworth)I perfer to maintain my freedom of choice rather then being dictated too by a pair of thugs with their over inflated prices, limited selections market dominance in the guise of convenience.....

I think that it is foolish to fruit or meat regularly from a supermarket, and moronic to do it then complain about the price. Much better prices and products are easily available just about everywhere in Australia. Ive never understood why people buy anything but staples from supermarkets.

Mind you though, they dont seem to be going out of business doing it, so obviously they are doing something right, even if I cant understand the choices that others make.

Bit of a bugger about them dropping homebrew supplies though - I usually forget to get bottle caps until its too late and dash to the nearest Coles for them.

I think that it is foolish to fruit or meat regularly from a supermarket, and moronic to do it then complain about the price. Much better prices and products are easily available just about everywhere in Australia. Ive never understood why people buy anything but staples from supermarkets.

How are meat and veg not staples? That aside, yes, meat is awful at all the big supermarkets but the fruit/veg at Safeway is actually streets ahead of any other supermarket or (near mythical) greengrocer you might find in a shopping centre (read: complex/mall). For a great many, spending time driving around town is not worth the supposed benefit gained when all their kids will eat is chicken nuggets and yoghurt anyway.

Rip off? With the average family looking at what you (granted old days) used to be able to buy a car for every year in food bills (7K-14K depending on size of family) each year. You could be smart and bring in land consultants and buy in 6K worth of food trees and plants and start your own gardens and cut your food bill way down or to nothing if fully independent minded individual. Imagine what you can do without an Austrlalian Supermarket rip off bill each year? You could even reduce the number of days you work and spend more time in the garden, get a lower paying lower stress job perhaps right close to the house so there goes your fuel bills as well :)

My medium term goal is to reduce food bill and increase gardens and home orchards on all the free land on the property. Long term goal is to sell up and go sub tropical and start an entire food forest of exotic fruits and do a small holding and cut my supermarket bills down to literally nothing.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

My short term goal is to set myself up with a decent living (from student and casual worker to paper conservator). My short/medium term goal is to make my space as DIY as possible (veges, brew/ferment, support small local businesses). My long term goal is to be as self sufficient as possible which is why I enjoy your posts so much. DIY is so much more than cutting up photocopies for a flyer or ripping a hole in your jeans.

I mostly shop at ALDI, the lasses there know me by name now (as the staff numbers there are small and stay for years seeing as ALDI actually look after their people) and I keep ribbing them "when are you going to get home brew supplies". Maybe the word will filter up. Tins of Helles, Bock, etc - we can only dream.

How are meat and veg not staples? That aside, yes, meat is awful at all the big supermarkets but the fruit/veg at Safeway is actually streets ahead of any other supermarket or (near mythical) greengrocer you might find in a shopping centre (read: complex/mall). For a great many, spending time driving around town is not worth the supposed benefit gained when all their kids will eat is chicken nuggets and yoghurt anyway.

Im sure that you take my meaning - flour, sugar, tomato paste, bog roll, etc - staples. Perhaps not the most literal application of the word, but I dont see the point in being pedantic.

I must be spoiled - Ive never managed to live farther than a comfortable walk (5 -10 min) from a greengrocer. At the moment, there are three within a short walk of my house, three more if I feel like a bit of a walk (at least two of these in mall complexes). Likewise for butchers.

I suppose those who feel they are 'too busy' are the target market for supermarket fruit and veg. I suppose if you find that it makes more sense to buy fruit and veg from a supermarket than to go elsewhere, thats your business. It seems a bit pointless to complain about it though. Cant say that Ive ever shopped at Safeway, so I cant comment on them in particular.

Then why were you?

I don't have kids (whom might only eat chicken nuggets and yoghurt) and shop at independent retailers where possible. I'm trying to look at things beyond my own narrow perspective.

But remember that independent retailers will tell you themselves that the big boys are able to support a narrower margin than them so who is really paying more than they should?

On Bribie Island (pop over 15k so we are as big as say Wangaratta, Busselton or Ballina) they are about to demolish the ONLY fruit shop on the island and replace it with a 24 hour McDonalds. Still who needs veg when you can feed the kids on happy meals.

Then why were you?

I don't have kids (whom might only eat chicken nuggets and yoghurt) and shop at independent retailers where possible. I'm trying to look at things beyond my own narrow perspective.

But remember that independent retailers will tell you themselves that the big boys are able to support a narrower margin than them so who is really paying more than they should?

Why was I what? Complaining about supermarket prices? I dont really think that I was. Commenting on Safeway? I dont think I really did that either. Something else Im missing? Probably.

Who is paying more than they should? Not me - I tend to be fairly price conscious, and tend to follow value. Ive been in supermarkets twice that I can recall in the last three months, once to buy shampoo, and once to buy boned pork shoulder that was on special for sausagemaking (and yes, I know, we've been talking about how the price and poor quality of supermarket meat, and yet I admit to buying it. Like I said, I follow value).

One thing that Ive noticed since moving to a larger city is that a lot of the small independent shops actually offer superior prices on a limited range staple goods than the large supermarkets.

Anyhow, Ive got to go work for Dr Evil tommorrow, so I'd better be off to bed.

Despite any personal animosity you might be getting from me I really do hope you've got a name tag there.

[EDIT - in case the reference isn't coming through above (the internet is a funny place, after all), my point is that there isn't any personal animosity. Sorry if you get the joke but I don't want any confusion on this issue.]

Back