Cold Smoking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
searching the interwebs seems there are plenty of positive reviews about this unit. Initially i was a bit skeptical when it needed a certain (their own brand) dust/shavings, supposedly to get the density correct for a 6hr burn. However the new model (I have on order) apparently should be good for pellets too, so that makes it a bit more flexible.

Cheers SJ

Sounds like you are not using dry or seasoned enough wood to me there TonyM. What are you using for wood? It should be totally dried and seasoned, preferably over one year.
There's a thought Bizier, I was using american oak buzzer chips which I had for a couple of years and everything was good. The second time I used the same but we had a helluva lot of rain and everything was damp including the wood chips so I changed to tassie oak of unknown history, but perhaps all the damage had been done in that disastrous second attempt. We city dwellers have forgotten all the vital tricks for running a good wood burn.We just turn on the gas or A/C.

yeah my response was informed by a childhood of burning recently felled and split wood and the subsequent blocked chimney flu.

DSCN1616.JPG
For anybody interested who may be building a smoke generator, I rebuilt this thing so I have a straight pipe easy to clean. I also reduced the air tube from 13mm to 6mm which gave a much higher velocity and good performance with much less air needed. The sooting problems was caused by the Tassie oak which generated great quantities of sticky black resin which only alcohol seemed to remove. The american oak which was used before, left only a trace of fine white ash. I have run some apple tree chips thru and they seem to leave only a trace of soot, but it's early days yet.
I didn't know where to terminate the air tube inside the smoke tube so I made it sliding and have found that it's position has a great bearing on the amount of smoke generated. The air is from a 7litre per min. aquarium blower purchased on ebay from Hong Kong but I would like it to be larger. Next time I shall get something twice as strong but adjustable.

One of my favourite subjects :icon_chickcheers:

I've built a few cold smokers over the years, each one a little more succesful than the one before it.

Started with an old fridge and a remote fire pit and travelled through incarnations including an 18 gallon keg and my newest version that is made from some sort of computer box.
Used everything from wood to gas to electrikery.

Here's my old smoker, ran with two elements, one under the remote fire box and the other inside the keg fro temp control.

smoker1.jpg

Here it is smoking malt for an unmentionable mash.

smokedgrain1.jpg

I have it pretty good now though, with independent controls for the smoke generator hotplate, the box temperature controlled by an pie warmer element, and a fan for drying when i use it (most of the time) for Beef Jerky.

Here's a load of brined chicken marylands...

smokedchicken1.jpg

I haven't any pics of it in it's current state i'm sorry, just construction pics, but this will give you an idea of the setup...

smokernew2.jpg

One more of my Jerky, it's pretty popular, i post it all over Oz...

jerky6.jpg

I have one of the units currently on order (awaiting delivery). Apparently is a new design that will take both wood pellets or dust.

Will report back in a week or two with some pics and details of how it went.

Cheers SJ

Supra-Jim, any update on how it went?

I've got a UDS and want to be able to cold smoke also. I'm considering getting one of these but would like some feedback!

:icon_cheers:

Hi phoneyhuh,

I haven't used it yet. Have been away on holidays for the last week. Hope to start brining some bacon this week.

Cheers SJ

One of my favourite subjects :icon_chickcheers:

I've built a few cold smokers over the years, each one a little more succesful than the one before it.

Started with an old fridge and a remote fire pit and travelled through incarnations including an 18 gallon keg and my newest version that is made from some sort of computer box.
Used everything from wood to gas to electrikery.

Here's my old smoker, ran with two elements, one under the remote fire box and the other inside the keg fro temp control.

Here it is smoking malt for an unmentionable mash.

I have it pretty good now though, with independent controls for the smoke generator hotplate, the box temperature controlled by an pie warmer element, and a fan for drying when i use it (most of the time) for Beef Jerky.

Here's a load of brined chicken marylands...

I haven't any pics of it in it's current state i'm sorry, just construction pics, but this will give you an idea of the setup...

One more of my Jerky, it's pretty popular, i post it all over Oz...

View attachment 46733

Hey Punkin, any tips on how you do your jerky?

Hi Barls,

No unfortunately. But thanks for the reminder/kick in the bum!

I need to get this underway.

Cheers SJ

Our club recently did a bulk build day and managed to build a set of cold smokers for about $20 a piece. Basically square aluminium section with a copper Venturi set up. They're impressively effective, and some of the guys have had overnight smoking working without a hitch...I will post a pic of mine tonight.

Andy

Hey Punkin, any tips on how you do your jerky?

Sorry, i missed this.

I smoke for an hour or so after a 2 day marinade, then just use the smoker as a warm dehydrater and keep it under 50-60C until dry. Usually start taking pieces off after 6 hours up to 12-14 hours. Finish off in brown paper bags hanging in a basket in the laundry for a couple of days.

I use a ham cure (sodium nitrite/nitrate) in the marinade with other sauces and spices, lots of cracked peppers, no salt.

Sorry, i missed this.

I smoke for an hour or so after a 2 day marinade, then just use the smoker as a warm dehydrater and keep it under 50-60C until dry. Usually start taking pieces off after 6 hours up to 12-14 hours. Finish off in brown paper bags hanging in a basket in the laundry for a couple of days.

I use a ham cure (sodium nitrite/nitrate) in the marinade with other sauces and spices, lots of cracked peppers, no salt.

Cheers, I've done jerly in my hot smoker but found that when it comes out, even though dry, it has an oily type of wetness on it, very off putting.

cheers

Browndog

Hi Barls,

No unfortunately. But thanks for the reminder/kick in the bum!

I need to get this underway.

Cheers SJ
ended up buying one. ill race you to be the first use it.
had it a week and havent used it yet.

Latest posts

Back