Cold Smoking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim F

Reaction score
So I made an ugly drum smoker the other week, and now I've modified it to be able to cold smoke as well. Basically set up a port on the side and ran 2m of 4" downpipe into it. The other end of the downpipe fits into a metal toolbox. All good so far but I can't figure out how to generate cold smoke reliably. Started out with a cheap electric frypan, that went OK but didn't seem to give a ton of smoke, maybe a bit too cool?
There's all kinds of wacko designs out there on the net using aquarium pumps etc. Anyone tried any of them? Other tips? It'd be great if there was some way to do it without topping up the sawdust every hour.

I have been getting great results from my 'temporary' smoker. So good are the results, that I have not thought further about finishing my grand plans.

Temp smoker is 2 x 20L drums, one sitting on the other, and the top cut out of one, and the bottom out of the other, so it makes a tall 40L chamber. I just use a large perforated food tin with perhaps 7 heat beads in it, and another perforated tin sitting on that to generate smoke. Sits around 90 degrees and for ages. No good if you want true cold smoking for cheese or whatever though.

I was planning to make a version of a venturi smoker with a hopper, much like the ones from NZ. They seem to just be a plain good design. I have a stainless 44 Gal drum out back, but I am yet to use it for anything (maybe I could do an easy quintuple batch). ED: I should add that I was planning to let in smoke via a pump controlled venturi smoker, and control the heat independedntly with an oven element and a PID.

Awesome. Reckon I will try knocking one up myself!

let me know how you go as im thinking of making one as well. have some perforated alloy that was an off cut from work. was planning on making the top of my drip tray out of it but still havent got there

It would be really easy to pipe smoke in from something similar to my setup (e.g. 1 x 20L drum).

I really liked this guy's work (mmm Foster's)

And also this one for the hopper idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking out those vids inspired me to make a version of the foster guys smoke generator. Cost was about $20 and it works surprisingly well, with smoke billowing out for ages. I just used a milo tin as the container with a 1/2" T piece, few nipples, back plate, and a thing from the compressed air section that screwed in to the T piece and let me put a little hose barb in each end, one to take the aquarium pump and one to protrude inside the T piece. Got a few pics below, please forgive the state of my workshop. Looking forward to smoking the pork and duck I have curing in a few more days.

20022011760.jpg

20022011763.jpg

The smoke box I made is almost redundant now but the drum was getting a nice dose of smoke!

20022011769.jpg

20022011768.jpg

Sweet candied yams! That looks awesome. Foster's man rides again. I might have to pull my finger out and to copy your photo with the fittings there.

And the thing I most wish to do is proper well-smoked home-made bacon. Smoked duck sounds good.

I gave it a live run the other night with one more mod... figure since I already have threaded nipples on the drum I might as well plumb the smoker in directly. Worked very well, the smoke coming through was not hot at all.

24022011774.jpg

I cold smoked duck bacon, pig bacon, and cheese. The duck bacon was the surprise hit... just used 50g of dry cure, 2 duck breasts and the zest from half an orange, and let it cure for 5 days. Absolutely sensational!!!

The cheese was a fail, way too smoky. Might be good in cooking though.
25022011775.jpg

Hey Tim

What did you put in the milo tin? sawdust or chips?? and how much did you put in? and what size hole did you drill in the base of the tin?

How long do you think it would smoke for without refilling??

Sorry for all the questions but you have me very interested and I'm planning on making one :)

I used redgum sawdust, if you can find a furniture maker or something you can get it way cheaper than the camping stores sell it. I used 3 big handfuls in the tin and that lasted for around 3 hours - refilled it 3 times to get 9-10 hours or smoke. I probably made the holes about 1-1.5mm? Just grabbed a drill bit about that size out of my heap ;)

The only thing I'd try different would be to use a slightly smaller tin if you can find one. I find the sawdust around the edges doesn't all burn, it kind of burns u/p through the centre. Alternatively I might have been better off just spacing the bottom holes more evenly

I just noticed that in this video from the same Foster's bloke, that he has gouged/cut a hole in the side of the wood chamber, perhaps to get a stick in there and direct the wood matter closer to oxygen inlets, perhaps to simply allow more oxygen. Anyway, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
cold smoked some hops cones the other day will report back when i use them.

DSCN1613.jpg

I made this smoke generator and it was very effective, but I'm having trouble with the smoke tube sooting up after only 4 or 5 hours operation. this impedes the airflow sufficiently to stop it working and the curved pipe is impossible to clean. I need expert advice from those people who have been more successful than myself.

Sounds like you are not using dry or seasoned enough wood to me there TonyM. What are you using for wood? It should be totally dried and seasoned, preferably over one year.

ohhh nice one jim, been looking at getting one made up thats about the size of my current smoker tray.
very interested in how it preforms.

Back