Cold crashing for more than two weeks!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I had an emergency come up and went away. Came back and forgot it was sitting there. Now 4 months later its still sitting there cold crashing at 1 degree.
I've just done much the same thing, and am also wondering if it's salvagable.

So what result did you get? Was it "...the best beer you've ever made"..?

Hi guys,

Tried searching but couldn’t find anything that answered my specific question. Which is:

Anyone ever forgotten about a brew when cold crashing. Sounds silly but I had an emergency come up and went away. Came back and forgot it was sitting there. Now 4 months later its still sitting there cold crashing at 1 degree. It was a fresh wort kit. It looks fine. Its still sitting in a plastic fermenter.

Just wondering if you’d keg it or toss it and start again. I’m expecting it to be fairly oxidised.

Cheers,

Newts
Hope you didn't send it down the drain. I brewed up a cream ale a few years back and fermentation stalled a few times during the winter as I hadn't set up my heating element in the fermentation fridge. By the time it came to cold crash, I had to leave for the US for a 3 week trip. I came back to find it had turned into a wonderful drop. I had tasted just before crashing and some of the corn aftertaste was still there. Upon kegging and carbing it had turned out to be one of my favourite brews. Much like a lager unsurprisingly.

Newts--

Oxidation could be negligible or enough to ruin your beer. It all depends on the air-tightness of the fermenter.

Simple test: taste it. If it's oxidized, you'll know it.

Other that, you've lagered. Hop aromas might be fragile. If the beer is a Double AIPA or Russian Imperial stout, you're in uncharted waters. Let us know,

Back