Cold-crashed pilsner flat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK1

Reaction score
Hi,

Tried my first cold-crashing on an all-grain Pilsner a few weeks ago. Single-temp fermentation, then after it was done I cold-crashed at 1-2 degrees for a week. Bottled in 345ml bottles, using carbonation drops (because I had some), then left 2 sit for 2 weeks at around 20 degrees, and so far another week under the house.

So I opened up a couple for an initial taste-test. A bit of chill haze, so a bit disappointed with that but no biggie. However, those I've opened are quite flat, with very little carbonation.

Given the carbonation should come from leftover yeast acting on the sugar, but the purpose of cold-crashing is to get yeast and everything else out of the beer, have I taken too much yeast out? If there's only a little bit in there, will it just take longer to achieve carbonation, so I should just cellar for longer?

Interested to know if this is common (I'm still new at this, one of my first all-grains and first cold-crash, so not upset if it doesn't work, it's a learning experience!) or if I could have done anything differently? First pilsner too, but as I have a fridge I'd like to try more pils and lagers so keen to improve on any errors.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Darren

relax and wait at least 4 weeks before worrying.
these things take time.they will carb

You've been given excellent advice, TK. It would be almost impossible (unless deliberately) to have enough yeast drop out or deactivated to prevent adequate bottle fermentation. I'm sure many many here have crashed between 0 and -1 C for at least 4 to 6 weeks or more without problems. Cheers and never lose patience.

Yep, done the old 5 week cold crash at 0C a number of times and had no issues with carbonation. Just takes a little longer, patience is key. ;)

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies. Guess I just have to be more patient with this one!
Will have another go in a few weeks...suppose I can stick with drinking ales until then :)

Darren

mine's taken up to 7-8 weeks before... especially in winter.

It's been pretty cold in Melbourne the last couple of weeks. That's your issue. Give it a few more weeks and it'll be fine. Bring them inside to warmer temps if you want to speed it up a little

Well, 2 weeks at 20 degrees theoretically should be enough, but I do find lagers take a little longer to fully reach their intended carbonation levels.

Latest posts

Back