Cold Conditioning Temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pr1me said:
I've got a question about cold conditioning. My usual process for making beer is about 1 week on the cake in the primary, then rack into a secondary fermenter and let it stew for another week. Would I then neccessarily rack once more for cold conditioning into:

A) a fermenter to allow pressure to seep out?
B) a sealed drink cube to keep pressure in
c) a drink cube with dual outlets, leaving one open to allow pressure to seep out?
There is no need to rack twice. As JM said, if the temperature permits, leave the brew on the cake for two weeks, then rack into a scondary and cold condition. I don't think it matters wjat you rack it into, jerrys are usually more convenient.

If i maintain it with the pressure sealed in, can the cube explode? Will the cold simply slow the yeast? or kill it so pressure build up isnt a problem?

You should not have pressure buildup anywhere near to that extent. I crack my cubes every few days or so and a little pressure escapes. If paranoid, you could always drill a hole in the jerry lid and attach an airlock.

Or is it a matter of after cold conditioning in a sealed container, then allow it to reheat, bulk prime, bottle, and the yeast will start up again and finish the carbonation? Is 3 weeks too long for yeast to work effectively over? I know theres alot of different methods you guys use, but some hard and fast rules would be great! :D

cheers
pr1me

I've CC'd for about 4 weeks and had no problems with yeast carbonation. There should be enough yeast in supension to carbonate your bottles. However, carbonation will take at least a week or two longer than normal. You may need to rouse the yeast after a week or two by inverting the bottles a couple of times.

I also prime cold to take advantage of the higher dissolved carbon dioxide content of the cold brew. When the bottles come back to room temp the yeast should start their job.

I CC at 0c , although this is freezing temperture my jerrys don't freeze

thanks for that guys, i've got a better idea now how to go about it, when I get the new brew fridge working, ill just throw the second fermenter in it and leave it for a bit.

Hi all,
Just one thing that i have noticed that can happen is,
If you fill your cube from fermenter at room temp and you have an air lock fitted, when you put the cube in the fridge the air in the head space can shrink due to the cold and cause the air lock to go in reverse and suck the solution into the beer if you are unlucky.
I found that this was more prone to happening during summer than winter when the cube and the brew are generally colder.
I dont use an air lock any more but this is only my personal observation and opinion.
I just release the lid during the first two or three days and this equalises any pressure difference.
Cheers,

Another question on the entire CC and bulk priming issue, I CC and normally just prime using my normal amount of priming sugar....

How much less sugar do u need to prime if your bottling straight from cold condition???

ben_sa said:
Another question on the entire CC and bulk priming issue, I CC and normally just prime using my normal amount of priming sugar....

How much less sugar do u need to prime if your bottling straight from cold condition???
Ben, use something like the recipator TDA linked to to work out the ideal amount of priming sugar to use.

Latest posts

Back