Coconut dry hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all

Have a coconut brown ale in the fermenter 6 days now. Is near final gravity...still bubbling

Was planning on "dry hopping" with 100g toasted coconut flakes on day 9 or so...bottling day 18

Just after any opinions on adding things to fv other than hops during ferment....

Would bake them for 5-10 mins prior

Cheers

Thanks Moad

Was looking at 200g

Had a taste just now, might even give it a miss, already plenty of coconut in it, whacked 200g in at flameout

The coconut fades fast. I put 350g in a Berliner Weiss and it was a just background note pretty quickly.

Right booker so do you think it is worth my time adding extra?

Maybe it is necessary to get as much to last as long as I can?

It's up to you. I also added Lemon zest to my Weiss. That could be a factor in masking the coconut note.

It was sad throwing out all that coconut once it had sat in the fermenter for a few days. I was keen to make something out if it but there's not much you can do with sour soaked coconut shavings!

booker_h said:
It was sad throwing out all that coconut once it had sat in the fermenter for a few days. I was keen to make something out if it but there's not much you can do with sour soaked coconut shavings!
Encase in dark chocolate and see if you have created a classic that could stand next to Cherry Ripe or Bounty. :lol:

I've added 150g of toasted coconut to a porter on a couple of occasions. Turns out great for my tastes, I like the hint if coconut rather than feeling like you're drinking a bottle of tanning lotion. One thing that helped my head retention in these beers is to Pat down the coconut after toasting with paper towel to remove the oils. I'd advocate for sampling everyday after 5days and once you think it's tasting right, leave it for two more days and keg/bottle. The coconut fades over time.

You're not wrong about the coconut dropping away...was extremely prominent after 3 days...day 11 now, barely any.

That being the case dropped all I had in, 200g toasted. See how it goes

I've done 400g in the secondary for ~10 days in a porter. Was good. Was a pain to syphon into the keg though. Has anyone keg hopped with coconut?

Not sure about the kegging...

But bottled up a couple days ago...the dry hopped coconut was in 8 days...was planning on 5 or 6, but was away.

Tasted fantastic. If anything a touch too much. Am sure it will fade with conditioning.

Will post back upon tasting

booker_h said:
I put 350g in a Berliner Weiss and it was a just background note
I for one couldn't taste coconut over stomach bile.

kunfaced said:
I for one couldn't taste coconut over stomach bile.
Some feel that way about Corona or Stella. Yet, there's an audience for each one of those.

Latest posts

Back