Coca Cola Building A Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
I was the mcee at a function a couple of weeks ago to raise money for sids - good cause raised 40 grand. Coke was one of the sponsors and I was chating to the bloke from coke about beer etc and I asked when they were going to buy a brewery in Australia to which he replied that they are currently building one - I got the feeling in NSW.

Any one know anything re this?

Great to see u back on line Paul,
Well I am a Development Officer in Newcastle City Council and I can say for sure that it not in Newy.
I like your input in the Beer and Brewer mags too.

Steve

wow, thats a pretty high risk venture, even for coke. one would assume that they would be doing it on a reasonably large scale, bigger than your average micro.

one would also assume that they will be just pumping out regular everyday boring pale macrolagers. does australia want/need any more bland boring lagers? time will tell, time will tell. what they do have in their favour is loads of money to do a very aggressive marketing campaign. pump out some high alcohol flavourless lagers (ie. tooheys extra dry) aimed at the teenager market, call it low carb and it will probably sell like hotcakes.

[edit]

didnt they try and buy out bluetounge?

My guess is coke will brew under licence. I think they already distribute Peroni and Pilsner Urquell. I'm sure that will be what they'll flood the market with first.

They have added a massive warehouse to their Westmead site in Sydney

Oh gawd,
this can't be good.

Next we will have McBeer, and Kentucky Frie Ale.

Hopefully it will be something drinkable, but i am not holding my breath.

i thought Pilsner Urquell did not allow anyone to brew under licence?

Found this
Looks like they have a joint venture with SABmiller who have over 200 brands...

Well, one of the local rumors floating around here that I heard a few months back was that they were looking to do something up here in the New England. Possibly around Armidale.

Im not sure how much truth there is in that, but thats the rumor!

is it gunna have the same advertising agency as coke?

ZA ZANG!

Cant see 20 somethings dressed up like they raided their older cousins 80's wardrobe doing it fer me....

surely they would brew concentrated wort, stick it in aluminimum bags and it would have gassed up cold water through it at the pub, ala postmix!

another compeditor on the market cant hurt the punters getting cheap beer. Although as to what it does to the beer industry (ie continueing to limit quality beer) will remain to be seen.

In the general publics defence, most of them dont ever get exposed to good beer so they dont know the differance. I mean I went to the footy last weekend and had to drink megaswill. my god its bad!!!!!. I didnt realise how bad it was compared to HB and ive only been back into brewing this year. If I wassnt brewing again I would be oblivious as to how good HB and how terrible normal beer is. I mean I knew it wasnt great which is why I drank decent imported or microbrewed beers, but until you have good HB or top notch microbrewed beer you dont realise how bad commercial beer is.

MHO

Well, one of the local rumors floating around here that I heard a few months back was that they were looking to do something up here in the New England. Possibly around Armidale.

Im not sure how much truth there is in that, but thats the rumor!

Could be interesting when I have to do my on-campus sessions next year at UNE!

By the way I can't see how more competition in the beer market is a bad thing. Of course they will make megaswill beer - thats where the volume is and hence the $$$, but hopefully if it all pans out they might produce some higher quality beers as well. The benefit with Coke is that they have massive distribution, so if they do come out with something good you might just find it readily available (like at the footy!)

Then again, maybe I'm dreaming :D

Could be interesting when I have to do my on-campus sessions next year at UNE!

By the way I can't see how more competition in the beer market is a bad thing. Of course they will make megaswill beer - thats where the volume is and hence the $$$, but hopefully if it all pans out they might produce some higher quality beers as well. The benefit with Coke is that they have massive distribution, so if they do come out with something good you might just find it readily available (like at the footy!)

Then again, maybe I'm dreaming :D

Hell, if coke wanted to make and market a range of bland, alcoholic piss around Armidale I reckon they should cut out the middleman and open the brewery in Robb College ;).

What are you studying at UNE mate?

Dip Ed by distance - my ultimate goal is to teach high school kids the chemistry of brewing. :)

Speaking of 'Kentucky Frie Ale', has anybody else considered trying to brew a beer with the 11 'secret' herbs and spices? Anybody have contacts at KFC to get some spice mix? Would it work and taste like kfc?

Latest posts

Back