Coca Cola Building A Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i thought Pilsner Urquell did not allow anyone to brew under licence?

I am pretty sure that Pilsner Urquell is now owned by SAB Miller, and has been for a little while. Doubt they would give contract brewing rights to coke, but stranger things have happened. Actually, they may not actually OWN it, but definitely have the distributing rights (or so I read - always gospel :p )
Trent

Speaking of 'Kentucky Frie Ale', has anybody else considered trying to brew a beer with the 11 'secret' herbs and spices? Anybody have contacts at KFC to get some spice mix? Would it work and taste like kfc?

It might if you got hold of the spices and used them with this recipe.

edit: fixed URL.

Dip Ed by distance - my ultimate goal is to teach high school kids the chemistry of brewing. :)

Ah, a noble cause then :D

Next time you're up here, if you want to duck into Bool for a couple of quiet brews feel free to drop me a line.

F-M-D :(
I just cried my 1st tear in year....
Not of laugther either :wacko:
gn

Mmmmm...
Pils Urquell brewed with Joe white malt and bittered with isomerised POR.

I was reading a couple of industry mags that talked about the Coke Amatil and brewing thing... they aren't mucking about. They are planning on spending a couple of hundred million in order to become #3 in the Australian beer market by 2012.

I got the the impression from a couple of brewers I talked to that they might well build a brewery in the North East region of Victoria, looking to get synergy out of their SPC Ardmona food factories in the area. They would also probably be right behind Lion Nathan in line to buy Boags if they went up for sale.

You never know... that locally produced Urquell might just be better than months old stuff thats been dragged halfway round the world :ph34r:

Thirsty

PS -

surely they would brew concentrated wort, stick it in aluminimum bags and it would have gassed up cold water through it at the pub, ala postmix!

Dont laugh to hard, you might regret it... one of the systems being tried commercially for draught beer dispensing is a Bag in Box system. Flat unpressurized beer goes into giant "Chateau du Cardboard" style wine cask thingy.. then gets run through a carbonating unit at point of sale.

The breweries pay the pub to install the gear, because they save so much money in warehousing (rectangles stack better than circles) transport efficiency, not having to carry keg stock, energy for keg cleaning and a host of other things.

There's actually no reason at all it would have a detrimental effect on the beer .... but it makes me cringe anyway

Postmix shouldnt taste any different from standard soft drink, but it does....

All it takes is a little extra soda water to boost profits...

I remember reading about it a while ago

Can't be too bad for the market

Not to imply that they are gonna be making good beer or anything

But another player may produce some positive effect - what that effect will be i'm not sure

Cheers

The local word here at the moment is that Armidale is changing their water treatment from chlorine to much cleaner but much more expensive ozone.

Have to wonder if it's something to do with coke wanting chlorine free water for brewing?

Hey, it makes a good rumour if nothing else :D

The local word here at the moment is that Armidale is changing their water treatment from chlorine to much cleaner but much more expensive ozone.

Have to wonder if it's something to do with coke wanting chlorine free water for brewing?

Hey, it makes a good rumour if nothing else :D

:huh: Now you've got my attention :rolleyes:

more on the Sabmiller bouyout of Bluetongue brewery and possible joint venture to build another brewery.

EDIT

oops scratch that im too late. Redbeard has already posted here

sorry

wow, thats a pretty high risk venture, even for coke. one would assume that they would be doing it on a reasonably large scale, bigger than your average micro.

From one of the links posted earlier:

Beverage maker Coca Cola Amatil is setting its sights on becoming Australia's third biggest brewer by 2012.

In a strategic review of its operations announced this morning, the company says it will broaden its portfolio of alcoholic beverages.

Coca Cola will set up a brewing plant in Australia to make local versions of some imported beers and develop new local brands.

It also wants to grow market share for the boutique beers it sells through agreements with established brewers.

The company is working on cutting escalating costs and it is expecting high single-digit earnings growth for the year.

So I don't think it's going to be a micro :D

I see it as a positive. the problem with beer in Australia is that we have only 2 major players. It may force CUB and Lion Nathan to seek the quality market at least with a portion of their product line.

Further to that ibast, we pretty much have a duopoly on production as you point out and retailing seems to be controlled by fewer players now, especially when you look at the likes of Woolworths (albeit through more discreet company ownership) & Coles with their ever increasing ownership of both hotels & retail outlets.

Competition is suposed to be good for the consumer.

Cheers,
Stout.

Latest posts

Back