C'mon Straya - you know you want one.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SnakeDoctor said:
Please answer the questions:

Are you retired?
Do you own or have you owned a Caravan?
Yes, I'm retired.
No, I don't, nor will I ever, own a caravan.
No, I don't, nor will I ever own a WW, unless it's donated to me.

Does look like a pretty fancy fermenter and cp bottler though.

$6k? I mean, I like gadgets and all but god damn. That's serious coin. For the cash left from the purchase of my BM I'll take the morebeer ultimate conical, blow $500 on grain and keep the change. Still though, it's an interesting device to those limited by space and a desire to brew with a can opener.

I've been to plenty of commercial and micro breweries
They expose to oxygen a lot more than the WW does (a bunch of them don't ferment under pressure either)
But yet they still make award winning and well selling beers
WHAT ARE THEY DOING?!?!?!?!
Overstated benefit is overstated...

The WW sure is getting a lot of attention. Every thread it's featured in seems to get more of a look in than any other. Hadn't seen much interest in fermenting in stainless under pressure until Wobbly's first WW thread, but now everyone wants a stainless fermenter and there's been a lot of interest in fermenting under pressure. I almost fell for the hype too, but then I remembered that my beer tastes pretty damn good out of a plastic fermenter anyway.

Ian Williams might have gotten a lot of us off side with his comments regarding homebrewers, but I reckon he's shaped up to be somewhat of a marketing genius. People won't stop talking about the bloody thing.

Don't feed the trolls.

Wow I've never heard of these before. $6k huh? I thought a BM was out of my league...

I'm guessing whoever buys a WW doesn't have 'value' as the no.1 reason for purchasing on their list (probably doesn't even come into the top 5).
It's something that they can use to make some beer at home, in a sleek blingy unit, show off to their mates, and (hopefully) enjoy using and looking at. If they've got the money then why not (I've got a bridge they might be interested in...).

You'd hope that people who buy them either aren't interested in getting into the details of the various ways of making beer at home, be it extract or AG, or don't like the look/are put off with the slightly more 'ghetto' or 'messy' aspects (old eskys, drilling fridges, boiling pots of wort, lots of bags of hops etc) of making beer at home. That intro video sure makes the whole process look really clean and fuss-free. I wonder if it get's old or boring quickly?

All in all an interesting albeit expensive way to make extract beer and have it kegged and/or bottled in one unit.

If you showed a potential buyer of a WW a side-by-side comparison of a WW unit, a 20L BM, and a stovetop boil extract kit with grains, and compare the beers that they produce, what would be the order of interesting for purchasing?

I reckon the WW would still come out on top for a few because of the whole 'from fermenter to keg to tap in one unit' angle, price be buggered.

Pilchard

Mate, and undoubtedly fine brewer.

I started brewing in 1980 aged 14 , in a bucket, using stinging nettle I plucked from the compost bin where the chickens in my back yard used to poo. When my mum gave me this silly book on how to home-brew by this english chap with mutton board chops - and I had zero money but a penchant for a mad science experiment. FWIW It tasted like shit except when you made it into a shandy. From that point on I was kind of hooked. Made many heinous brews using god knows what ingredients but it didn't matter - we all start somewhere.

I have brewed in systems ranging from Bucket 'o death, esky with a chunk of braided hose stolen from a BBQ burner hose, 2 Vessel, 3 Vessel - 10L, 20L, 50L the 2nd last system I had was a 100L tippy dump I brought of Rossco. I have fermented in 4.5l glass carboys, buckets, 30L fermenters, 30L stainless conicals, 60L black backbreakers. I made my own grain mill, my own CFWC, 'borrowed' 50L kegs, have more swagelock fittings than a modern process plant, STILL have a $100 4KG pretty red fire extinguisher that I brought from a place in perth as my CO2 supply.

So its kind of been an obsession --> progression. Proud to say I still have most of the kit I used to use (except of the 100L system) - and would go back there in a heartbeat if I had to.

Now I have a BM20 and a WW basically because I like the minimal footprint and simplicity that it offers, and I make better beer than I could ever dream of - as reductive as I can be, very simple, set and forget fermentation, automatic carbonation, simple keg transfer - G2B in < 7 days.

More importantly - like a lot of the people I have met in the 8 years I have been on this forum prior to you joining, I have dragged a lot of people into this hobby/obsession.

So please don't tell me where I am posting - I refined my brewing methods by listening to a lot of people that for some reason don't post here anymore. Yes I enjoy a wind up - especially when there is a trans tasman flavour to it - I admitted that the OP was a troll.

Seriously I couldn't give a shit if WW never sold another fermenter - despite knowing the inventor a little bit and living 10 minutes from their factory. But they will sell them and is that such a bad thing? Some people tip goo and powder into theirs and win international awards. I labour endlessly over recipe design, ingredients, yeasts --> you know the score - aim for perfection - usually miss the target by a wide margin.

I can't actually think of a way to wrap this rant up.

So I won't - I will however enter the exclusive WW beer awards next time they are held - because I can.

RM

Yeah baby....

Suddenly the WW looks kinda...well....boring..

fermentationchambers1.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeah baby....

Suddenly the WW looks kinda...well....boring..

fermentationchambers1.jpg
Thanks for posting the pic. I linked because it was easier on mobile and it also contained his full BOM.

wobbly said:
The "Ones and Zeros" system cost $12,000 plus !!!! check out this topic for the details https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16336.0 and you guys think owning a WW is over the top

Cheers

Wobbly

WW gets you one beer and costs 6k, this system gets you 4 different beers and is 12k, it's therefore 50% better value than the FailWarn system.

I could afford either one, I'd definitely buy the 12k one, who wants to drink only one beer at a time? No thanks.

Sad point is that apart from Roger, Elz and myself it doesn't appear that any of the other commenters/detractors have either seen a WW or sampled a beer from one yet they claim to be all knowing and able to pass judgment on a machine/system that they know absolutely nothing about but I guess that's par for the course

Agreed the WW will only ferment around 25 litres at a time but then it can easily be transferred to kegs or bottled and another beer fermented

Cheers

Wobbly

Your pretty, your pretty, brew system a work of art,

It makes wort into beer from the start, it's brew mag pretty, it's groggy it's an art.

Your beer is pretty... It's not ww art... With an ugly wort....

wobbly said:
Sad point is that apart from Roger, Elz and myself it doesn't appear that any of the other commenters/detractors have either seen a WW or sampled a beer from one yet they claim to be all knowing and able to pass judgment on a machine/system that they know absolutely nothing about but I guess that's par for the course

Agreed the WW will only ferment around 25 litres at a time but then it can easily be transferred to kegs or bottled and another beer fermented

Cheers

Wobbly
I think the point you're missing is that nothing you, RM, WW website, previous threads etc, etc have said makes me (I won't speak for others) want to see a WW in action if involves any effort on my part.

Do I want one? No. Do I even gave the vaguest interest in having/seeing one? No, as I don't see what the $5,975 more than the overpriced cube I bought from anaconda gets me, particularly if I need to bottle or keg to get the next brew on. Nothing that has been said here or elsewhere changes that. I do know someone who has one and I've heard him wax lyrical about it. But even he can't explain what the extra $5,975 gets me. The fact that he is also the biggest arse I ever met does not cloud my judgement ( ok it might a little)

I'm pretty sure most people were aware that RM was trolling and for the most part it's been fun, and the man does have balls of steel.

So long as nothing descends into personal attacks, I don't see anything wrong with taking the piss a little. If you're happy with the WW then fair play to you. But that doesn't stop it being an overpriced fermenting vessel

Plus the videos on their website are F'ing hilarious. You must admit to a little cringe when you watch them

Latest posts

Back