Cm2, Fourstar, Brendo, Maple Mega Barleywine Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a traditional English BW and an American?!? if its English i'd call for a traditional one with nothing but MO, should have purchased a sack at the bulk buy! :p Haha.

Maybe a traditional English BW and an American?!? if its English i'd call for a traditional one with nothing but MO, should have purchased a sack at the bulk buy! :p Haha.
probably a good idea. i have no MO though. i think ive got some english hops in the freezer. will check and report back.

I have plenty of MO - still got half a sack from the last one, with a full sack from the current one, so if this is the way we want to go, I can get that side of it sorted out...

if we go that way, and you guys want fuggles, I want the other one... I've only met one english hop I like, and that too is in moderation. but that's just me, don't let that stop the 2 brew styles, just putting dibs on the other.

if we go that way, and you guys want fuggles, I want the other one... I've only met one english hop I like, and that too is in moderation. but that's just me, don't let that stop the 2 brew styles, just putting dibs on the other.

I was just thinking, do we really need two barleywines? Considering we where planning a partigyle with the spent grain a 3 batch brewday at this scale will take 15+ hours! now to mention the loss of gravity points being thrown out in the spent grain. :(

maybe we should just roll abck to the ABW and the partigyle of our choice?

nah bugger fuggles... I would advocate something like Target for bitterring and EKG or an EKG/Styrian Goldings combo for later hopping...

I was just thinking, do we really need two barleywines? Considering we where planning a partigyle with the spent grain a 3 batch brewday at this scale will take 15+ hours! now to mention the loss of gravity points being thrown out in the spent grain. :(

maybe we should just roll abck to the ABW and the partigyle of our choice?

I am happy enough with an ABW and a partigyle... could always english that one up if that is what ppl wanted to do...

I am happy enough with an ABW and a partigyle... could always english that one up if that is what ppl wanted to do...

yeah either/or, two blokes take a bitter the other two take something else?

Celebration ale or Torpedo! :icon_drool2:

I wonder what the crystal malts are in the celebration ale?! Its pushing orange to copper so maybe 6-7% medium crystal and a touch of dark crystal/caraaroma? Crap, i might just make this myself at home!

Celebration ale or Torpedo! :icon_drool2:

I wonder what the crystal malts are in the celebration ale?! Its pushing orange to copper so maybe 6-7% medium crystal and a touch of dark crystal/caraaroma? Crap, i might just make this myself at home!
2 recipes i found and look about right are here and here

torpedo would be a good chance to use citra hop for a test drive

I'd use the brewking KB Recipe but not the other.

Here is my guesswork. Low mash temp to get the gravity down and counteract the richness of 9% crystal SN talk about in their own description. I decided a blend of JW Dark and medium crystal to get a balanced palate, too much JW dark doesnt have the richness of toffee/caramel that seems to be the norm in this beer (according to reviews ive read).

SN Celebration Ale
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/03/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
6.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 91.55 %
0.30 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 4.23 %
0.30 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (86.7 SRM) Grain 4.23 %
35.00 gm Chinook [12.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 46.4 IBU
20.00 gm Centennial [8.70 %] (20 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (20 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
20.00 gm Centennial [8.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Centennial [8.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.37 %
Bitterness: 65.8 IBU
Est Color: 10.5 SRM

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 19.86 L of water at 69.7 C 64.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 11.85 L of water at 90.1 C 73.0 C

what's going on fellas? stalled ferment? :lol:

where are we up to?

4* and I have floated the idea of 2 seperate style brews for the mega brew day (3 brews incl a partigyle)

also I dont think we landed on a date

what's going on fellas? stalled ferment? :lol:
where are we up to?
4* and I have floated the idea of 2 seperate style brews for the mega brew day (3 brews incl a partigyle)
also I dont think we landed on a date

Hmm i think for ease of effort it might be best if we just do a single Barleywine and a Partigyle as originally planned. After all, the last big batch beer i was involved in took almost the whole day (case swap). A barley wine and a partigyle should be enough.

I'll have to go over the details of batch volumes tonight and work out what figures of remaining gravity~ we will have from the left over grain. I'll asume we will get equal gravity from each mash tun for ease of calculation. Either way, our primary focus should be getting the highest gravity we can from each tun then a partigyle second.

As i discussed with Maple, we might be best to sparge from tun to tun to tun to wash as much as we can away. It might require a little reading but i know its been done before.

BW/PG is my vote.
As for the date, let's look at April 3. Discuss tomorrow night at AA.

BTW, I'll bring your grain and yeast to AA bretto, unless you want them tonight, then you'll have to come and grab them.

ok BW/PG it is. settled

Im ok for 3 April. thats 2 of us.

Dave - re grain etc. tomorrow's fine. im in no rush.... desperately trying to write a 2000 word paper from scratch thats due today. so i wont be brewing tonight!

ok BW/PG it is. settled

Im ok for 3 April. thats 2 of us.

Dave - re grain etc. tomorrow's fine. im in no rush.... desperately trying to write a 2000 word paper from scratch thats due today. so i wont be brewing tonight!

Sounds ok for me too! CM2, you coming to BJCP tomorrow night? If so, want to bring my rye wiht you? I'll bring a grainbag, or use one brendo wil give me! :p

Sounds ok for me too! CM2, you coming to BJCP tomorrow night? If so, want to bring my rye wiht you? I'll bring a grainbag, or use one brendo wil give me! :p
I have his grain mate. It'll be coming, unless he's not.

BW and PG for me too i think... I reckon that is more than enough to chew off.

April 3 is looking good for me - nothing on the calendar, but I will double check with The Boss and confirm tomorrow night...

Back