Cm2, Fourstar, Brendo, Maple Mega Barleywine Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Gents, lets get this thing moving along. Happy to offer up my place, but will need some extra gear. I can do 45L @1050, so how much are we brewing? 20L each? if so, we'd require a few MT, another Kettle and another HLT. CM2's superpowered rig requires a 15A service, which I don't have, so will need another option.

Alternatively, my gear is transportable - just not the frame, and require 10A for the pump and HLT - so if one of you guys wants the show, I can haul my gear.

I figure you guys have a good handle on what the rec should look like, so I'll leave it to you (and bring a few kg of Rye to sneak into the MT :p ) and then we can work out who's got what and go from there.

come on ladies, let's get this thing happening.

my MT is transportable and I just got a 110l boiler - just need a bigger burner for it. My rig and HLT are no transportable, but I can probably pull my pump off it if need be.

Also happy to host if need be - but I only have 10A power avail.

Brendo

Hmm we will have todo the numbers on total batch size, boil volumes etc so we can confirm the amount of equipment we require.

Will we do a partigyle with the remaining spent grain? im sure we could all get a mild or bitter out of the scraps. ;)
Absolutely! No sense not using perfectly good maltose bits.

we dont need to use my hlt if we have something else that will do the job.

I can bring along my mongolian 23 jet burner. that will handle your 110L pot brendan.

what about a chinese partigyle :ph34r: im sure we've all got plenty of chinese hops we wouldnt mind offering up

anywhoo this was the recipe i used for me last (and only so far) partigyle
Pliney Parigyle
Use 3rd runnings from Pliney clone
Add 100g carared
100g carapils
100g wheat
POR @ 60min
Recultered coopers yeast

we could easily do something simple like this.

OK kids, let's get it going. Happy to host, but will need a few weeks notice to 'grease the wheels' so to speak. Already gave notice, and that was acknowledged.

We need a recipe - CM2 - i think you're onto a good thing with that hop schedule, over to you to sort it

then we need to figure volumes based on that - 4*, your the maths-man, based on output from above, get the figures

then we can get the finer details worked out. let's get it sorted before Tues evening, and we can go through the details then.

Ok why not accept beaver st brewry as location. Thx Dave and Suz.

Hop schedule I recon is killer. Just question about hops. U guys prefer 4*'s hops or mine. I personally don't mind. I recon Dave is one for the Hops I quoted.

I recon we go with ur grain bill though 4*.

Don't suppose we can brew both can we!

I can do any weekend except 21 march.

good luck fella's

All looks like it is a goer and if you guys want i will be up for a swap with my Dark Amnesia (Dark Belgian Strong 12%)

I might be able to release grip on a couple of these if your interested. Its tasteing exceptional out of the fermenter.

Kleiny

Well not wanting to go off topic in our thread but I'm planning on doing a golden strong and dark Belgian in the next few brews so I'm personally happy to swap a few of those.

I'm sure we would all be happy to swap a few of these barlay wines for a couple of urs.

Ok why not accept beaver st brewry as location. Thx Dave and Suz.
Hop schedule I recon is killer. Just question about hops. U guys prefer 4*'s hops or mine. I personally don't mind. I recon Dave is one for the Hops I quoted.
I recon we go with ur grain bill though 4*.
Don't suppose we can brew both can we!
I can do any weekend except 21 march.

Whatever suits bud. Due to the extended boil period, ultra high OG and the sheer richness of a barleywine i think the KISS approach to the grain bill is a smart idea. Especially considering the outlay of ingredients we dont want it to be too OTT. As for the Ale/pils blend noted in mine, thats always bendable, heck we dont even have to blend really i guess it just comes down to who has what on hand and go from there.

We COULD brew both, and have a spare cube for a blended version? (maybe im a little too keen here!)

For ease of hopping, we could make up a few hop blends for our 20, 10 & 0 min additions and a high AA bittering hop for the bulk of the boil bittering? e.g. nugget or magnum etc for say 60 IBU?

As for the hops used, it looks at this stage we all agreee on US varietals. I have plenty of centennial to give up along with Magnum if you want that for the bittering hop? Heck, we could even blend the bittering addition too.

Maybe we could all note our top 5 hops US&US like hops, e.g. galaxy, motueka etc and then the most common agreed varieties are then used in the beer?

Well im free pretty much any weekend excluding the 26-28th March as im away in hobart for my cricket trip.

Cheers.

Back from wet Queensland, time to weigh in properly.

Location... happy enough with the Beaver St Bruery...

Date wise... will need to consult the social director and get back to you...

Grain Bill - I like 4*'s, I reckon it is a goer, but reckon we should include some rye for interest - either malted or caraRye...

Hop schedule - I don't mind happy with either, but I agree with 4* about not dry hopping

Equipment - happy to bring my 50l mash tun and 110l kettle to the event, pump too if we need it. Depending on when we do it, hopefully I will have a Mongolian burner by then, otherwise I might need to use yours CM2.

I have plenty of grain and hops on hand and also a fresh Pacman smackpack that can be added to the cause.

Also happy to swap some of the output with Kleiny too...

Cheers,

Brendo

I have plenty of grain and hops on hand and also a fresh Pacman smackpack that can be added to the cause.

I have slants if need be.

Also, the PACMAN yeats is a very poor top cropper, it only gives a llow creamy krausen like a lager. Even when fermenting up to 22 deg its quite dismal so you have to use the slurry. My original plan was to top crop one morning, then top crop that evening, then again if possible the next monring and pitch all that into the wort. It doesnt look like i can now so i will simply brew a low alc, low hopped cream ale or something to that effect, scoop a crap load of slurry and dump it into the fermenter.

OK, good progress here guys. hey 4*, what do we need in terms of MT volumes, Water volumes etc. if you can work that out, we can get an equip list together.

As for grain, got some, hops too. I've got a Pacman on the go now, so should have a good slurry once that's done, perhaps a wash, and re-build to a few litres. So I don't think we'll come up in the grain/hops or yeast dept.

I like your idea of perhaps 2 different BWs, then we can have a bit of variaty too.

agreed so farLocation: Beaver St bruery
Grain Bill:

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 43.69 %
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 43.69 %
0.50 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.85 %
3.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.85 %
+rye or cararye

Hop schedule:
hop @ 120
hop blend @ 20
hop blend @10
hop blend @0
no dry hopping.

agreed hops types: centenntial....

equip:
Brendo bringing his stuff.
Ill bring my kettle also in case and my burner
obviously Dave's rig will be there.

Yeast: Pacman... *insert pacman icon chasing little pacman ghosts*

edit:

my comment on doing both BW was literally a suggestion to make to completly seperate BW, not to blend them. thats a mega brew day though. it would make a an awsome blended partigyle though

agreed so far
Grain Bill:

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 43.69 %
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 43.69 %
0.50 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.85 %
3.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.85 %
+rye and cararye

Hop schedule:
hop @ 120
hop blend @ 20
hop blend @10
hop blend @0
no dry hopping.

agreed hops types: centenntial....

equip: Brendo bringing his stuff.
Ill bring my kettle also in case and my burner
obviously Dave's rig will be there.
That gives us 2x50L mash tuns - what about a third have 3 going, to get the most out of the boilers at a really high Grav?
lots of kettle space (which we made need for HLT).

Pump, if transportable would be good brendo, (make sure you bring hoses to ensure connectivity)

As for the date, I thnik we are looking at april, anyone have plans for the easter weekend? 9-12?

For ease of hopping, we could make up a few hop blends for our 20, 10 & 0 min additions and a high AA bittering hop for the bulk of the boil bittering? e.g. nugget or magnum etc for say 60 IBU?

As for the hops used, it looks at this stage we all agreee on US varietals. I have plenty of centennial to give up along with Magnum if you want that for the bittering hop? Heck, we could even blend the bittering addition too.

Maybe we could all note our top 5 hops US&US like hops, e.g. galaxy, motueka etc and then the most common agreed varieties are then used in the beer?

I have truckloads of Amarillo on hand, so would be happy to use some up.

Otherwise, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial and Simcoe are always good...

That gives us 2x50L mash tuns - what about a third have 3 going, to get the most out of the boilers at a really high Grav?

Pump, if transportable would be good brendo, (make sure you bring hoses to ensure connectivity)

As for the date, I thnik we are looking at april, anyone have plans for the easter weekend? 9-12?

Pump I can do... but I can't believe you want me to bring hoses too :ph34r:

Easter weekend is out for me I am afraid, but otherwise April would work quite nicely for me I think...

I can bring my 38L cooler mash tun, it just means we will need todo multi sparges with the large grain bill on mine. By then i should have my 40L kettle drilled with a valve and pickup tube, we could use it for a HLT?!?

As this stage im free on the easter weekend.

I can bring my 38L cooler mash tun, it just means we will need todo multi sparges with the large grain bill on mine. By then i should have my 40L kettle drilled with a valve and pickup tube, we could use it for a HLT?!?

As this stage im free on the easter weekend.
Yeah, good stuff. I think that sorts us. looks like B can't do Easter, so I propose the weekend prior or after. have tentative plans for Anzac weekend (can be shuffled if need be though)

I can bring my 50L tun along if we are going to do both BW's. I will bring my silicone hoses also.

sounds like an awsome brewday!!!

now if we do 2 diff BW do we want to keep the same hops and hop schedule and just change grain bill? or go comepletely diff?

easter weekend: i have to go to some crappy kids picnic thing SWMBO has organised with her mother's group :angry: thats on good Friday. so any other day im good to go

edit: ok i see easter is out. no worries. lock in any other date for me. im good to go.

Latest posts

Back