Cloudy Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl_p

Reaction score
Hi all, Im very new to HB so please excuse me. Im up to my third brew using a standard
brewing kit all is going well and the beer tastes great the only problem I am experiencing
is my beer is cloudy. It spent 2 weeks in the fermenter and 4 weeks since being bottled
any help with this would be greatly appriciated.

Gidday. You will be venturing into gelatine and polyclar and cold conditioning to clear your beers. I brew for 2 weeks then rack to another vessel and fridge that for 4 days. Then I add Gelatine for 5 days then I add polyclar for 3 days then bottle. Clear as beer.

Search here for:
Gelatine
Polyclar and
cold conditioning.

If you go the above way you won't be dissapointed :)

Edit: I should of mentioned the Polyclar gets rid of CHILL HAZE and Gelatine gets rid of excess yeast and other crap left behind after fermentation...... if I'm not incorrect :)
Cold conditioning helps the two previous mentioned methods a great deal. Bonus of cold conditioning at 2 or 3 deg is that the beer mellows more and is better for it.

I think a simpler answer for the newbie is in order.

The simplest thing you can do to get clearer bottle conditioned beer, is to put it in the fridge. Not for a few hours before you drink it, but as soon as there is any room in there. The longer it stays in the fridge, the more stuff sinks to the bottom and the more firmly it sticks there - you want it in there for a good week or two, so shove all of it in the fridge as soon as you are able. That'll help considerably.

Also there is the art of the pour. I strongly recommend the purchase of a 1L glass jug. You pour your whole 750ml bottle out in one smooth pour and quit when you see the yeast about to go into the jug. Then you can pour individual glasses at your leisure without worrying about stirring up yeast.

Gelatine, cold conditioning, polyclar etc - all help and help to speed up the process, but if you are brewing a stock standard kit beer... you should be able to produce pretty damn clear beer by doing nothing but making sure your bottles stay cold and undisturbed, and pouring via a jug.

tb

Is chill haze even an issue with kit beers?

I'd look at cold conditioning (either in the fermenter or after the beer is carbed in the bottles) and gelatin finings.

Tb is right on the money with the decanting idea too. You can pour beer into a glass that's lovely and clear but the action of returning the bottle to an upright state will stir the sediment up so the next glass will be cloud city. Pouring it all off bar the last centimetre or so in one hit makes lovely clear beer.

What kit is it and what else is in it...? Most kit beers clear well in the bottle with in 2 weeks. Something in your process my need to be tweaked. So more info will help.

cold conditioning makes a big dif. i bulk primed my first batch that i had been cold conditioning for a bit over a week. syphoned from top down and left all the trub in the primary. i syphoned while it was still cold so there was a nice hard cake at the bottom that i didnt disturb at all. i was quite impressed at how clear the beer came out. even my drip cup that i use while bottling was quite clear. the kit i made was a lager so it will be in the bottle for at least a month before i crack them and check it out but from what ive seen so far it should be quite clear(and taisty :icon_drunk: )

As has been said, the most important thing is the pour.

Even my stout is crystal clear(though dark...), with no haze at all. No need to use gelatin, cold conditioning or anything like it...

Though, i'm currently using carb drops, as they're dead easy to use... Even the cider and perry i've made(non kit) has come out clear..

I only keep the beers in the fridge for a day or two before drinking them. They don't last any longer!

Pretend it is a Coopers, or a Moo Brew. Clear beer can sometimes be very over rated.

My fining process:

When beer hits FG, turn fridge to 10C. When beer is 10C add 2tsp gelatin to 100ml water in a pot and let sit for ten minutes. Pop in thermometer and bring up to 75C on stove. Add to fermenter. Wait at least 36 hours.

Boil the kettle and add 4g of polyclar to a coffee cup then pour in 50ml of boiling water. Stir vigorously for 5 minutes. Add to fermenter. Wait a day and bottle.

Crystal clear beer, every time.

I've got an Irish Red extract brew that is still a bit hazy even after nearly 5 weeks in the bottle. I CCed for 2 days before bottling and chilled a couple of bottles in the fridge for 4 days but still a bit muddy. I used Wyeast Irish Ale yeast which I understand is a low floccer but my samples I took from my 3 litre starter are now lovely and clear in the fridge.
I'm hesitant to use any finings or gelatine because I want only the pure ingredients of beer in my brews. I'm also of the opinion that yeast in the bottles may play a major part in conditioning beer after bottling but not sure of what amounts are necessary or effective. I'm hoping that this brew will settle out a little more in the weeks to come because I have found that the yeast flavour is a little overpowering. Has anyone had a similar experience with this yeast or any other? Thoughts?

Thanks for the helpfull replies I think it may have been the pour more then anything
just 1 other thing once bottled how long till i can put in the fridge? thanks again.

Wait at the (absolute!) least a week for carbonation to happen - you'll be able to tell how carbed they are with PET bottles, if you're using them, by how hard they become. I normally give my brews 2-4 weeks in the bathroom(coolest room in the house) before i start quaffing.

Wait at the (absolute!) least a week for carbonation to happen - you'll be able to tell how carbed they are with PET bottles, if you're using them, by how hard they become. I normally give my brews 2-4 weeks in the bathroom(coolest room in the house) before i start quaffing.

Im using glass so yea might wait a bit longer it been 2 weeks this saturday

There is no how long. There is only carbonation. Depending on the weather and other factors, that can happen in 5 days or 6 weeks.

Generally a fortnight is a safe bet but crack 1 or two and see before you put the lot in.

In regards to carbonation, can the bottles be shaken during this time? I know that it will stir it up, but if it is left again, will it matter?

In regards to carbonation, can the bottles be shaken during this time? I know that it will stir it up, but if it is left again, will it matter?

Yes the bottles can be shaken and no, it won't matter.

Probably the biggest influence on carbonation time in bottle conditioning is the number of yeast cells in your bottle at bottling and temperature. I've had murky bottles at 25C carbed in 4 days. I've also had crystal-clear bottles take 3 weeks to get fizzed up.

What about the amount, type, flocculation etc of yeast in the bottles regarding conditioning of the beer as opposed to carbonation?

Back