Closed Transfer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeza

Reaction score
Hey guys

I attempted a closed transfer a couple of days ago from my FV to a corny keg and only managed to half fill the keg and then couldn’t get it flowing again so the next morning I tried it with 19L of water but instead I blew some co2 into the FV via the airlock hole and this transferred great. I don’t believe the co2 would harm the brew but was just curious on anyones thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Just checking… Did you have the airlock still for your first attempt?

Was this a gravity syphon type transfer with the gas and beer line connecting both vessels? It sounds like what would happen if you only had the beer line connected between them and not the gas.

Just checking… Did you have the airlock still for your first attempt?
No had removed to fit pipe in from gas disconnect it went ok using gravity but only half full so assumed the gas in the fv would help gravity

Was this a gravity syphon type transfer with the gas and beer line connecting both vessels? It sounds like what would happen if you only had the beer line connected between them and not the gas.
Yes I had a disconnect to out post on the keg then to the tap on fv & disconnect to the in post then to the airlock Bung. I watched a video on YouTube with someone trying it with success but believe they cold crashed the beer I have never done this so not sure if that makes a difference tbh.

Yes I had a disconnect to out post on the keg then to the tap on fv & disconnect to the in post then to the airlock Bung. I watched a video on YouTube with someone trying it with success but believe they cold crashed the beer I have never done this so not sure if that makes a difference tbh.
Other than you getting a leak or a blockage in the pipe I can't see any other way it would stop. It doesn't matter if you're under pressure or not as the two vessels are balanced once connected. It definitely doesn't matter if it's cold crashed or not.

Did you dry hop? If so a dry hop and no cold crash is just asking for a hop matter blockage in the poppet.

Other than you getting a leak or a blockage in the pipe I can't see any other way it would stop. It doesn't matter if you're under pressure or not as the two vessels are balanced once connected. It definitely doesn't matter if it's cold crashed or not.
I reckon it was the dry hop causing a blockage makes sense now well thanks for your help you have both been very helpful

Latest posts

Back