Clearing My Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday all i am wanting to clear up my beer while it is in the primary.. I dont have a secondary vessell to transfer it into so i want to clear it up in the primary.. I know you can use additivies but i wanna try without them first.. How long can i leave my beer in a sealed primary fermerter with it getting infected and hopefully clear up? Cheers Tim

If you have temp control a week or two at low temps will greatly improve your clarity. The closer you can get to 0C the better, although don't freeze it. I've left a beer in primary for 3 weeks before with no ill effect, i have never racked to secondary, never seen the point.

Have a search on the forum, you'll find lots of info.

Gday all i am wanting to clear up my beer while it is in the primary.. I dont have a secondary vessell to transfer it into so i want to clear it up in the primary.. I know you can use additivies but i wanna try without them first.. How long can i leave my beer in a sealed primary fermerter with it getting infected and hopefully clear up? Cheers Tim

I have left a lager 3 weeks fermenting and 5 weeks cold conditioning in primary was crystal clear but have done one for 2-3weeks cold conditioning that was clear as to. as said get close to 0 as you can I set temp control on .3c

Cold will help drop out yeast and proteins and protect your beer from infection at the same time. Whack it in the fridge for as long as you can stand to wait.

Cold will help drop out yeast and proteins and protect your beer from infection at the same time. Whack it in the fridge for as long as you can stand to wait.

When one goes to bottle from the cold beer, do you bottle straight from the fermenter, or slowly raise the temp to prevent yeast shock.

Goomba

No need to let the beer warm up for bottling. I doubt there'd be that much of a change in temp to shock the yeast going from fridge to room temp bottle.

When one goes to bottle from the cold beer, do you bottle straight from the fermenter, or slowly raise the temp to prevent yeast shock.

Goomba

I go staight out of the fridge (from about 3 degrees), into another vessel for bulk priming and then straight into the bottle from there. No problems with carbonation (I leave the bottles at 20 degrees for 1 week) so I assume the yeast is fine. At the end of bottling the bottles are all still very cold so the bottle doesn't suck too much heat out of the brew and I don't think it's enough to hammer the yeast.

I found out the hard way (exploding bottles and undercarbed bottles) that the sugar solution you make up for bulk priming doesn't want to dissolve as well when your beer is cold so as well as the siphon whirlpool, I gave it 3 gentle but thorough stirs over the period of 15 mins. This fixed it.

Goomba

Four ales from a brew week-end placed in a 150L freezer with Fridgemate controller. After two weeks, drop setting to -2c for 48hrs, then 0c for five days more. Bottle in PET straight from freezer. Placed in cupboard in house. ie ambient temp, currently 20-24c. Bottles usually very firm (squeeze test) by 5-6 days. Into conditioning fridge, set at 5c.

Cheers

Image036.jpg

I normally leave my brews in the FV for a week after fermentation so it can clear. no problems yet.​

Latest posts

Back