Clear Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When gravity filtering my beer from the primary fermenter it seems to come out quicker than it goes in. Hence I think I maybe Exposing my beer to oxygen? I have tried restricting the flow, of both inlet and outlet. Any ideas?

Sounds as if you've got a leak in your system. The syphon effect of the liquid coming out of the filter housing should draw the liquid out of the primary. If you're sucking in air it's got to come from somewhere else. Ensure you have sealed system and all will be fine.

To quote Thirsty Boy in this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...49253&st=60

" This is a common misconception"

For me the few times i used gelatine on 1 - 2 degrees beer it took a lot longer to drop bright than doing it straight after /in primary around ferment temps.

cheers
mate im going with tried and true methods of using gelatine when cooking. its sets best in cold liquid. simple as that. compounds in beer shouldnt make a differance to gelatin setting.

I also dont class gelatine as a traditional fining. most time when books etc refer to finsings they are refering to isinglass etc. but finings mean differant things to differant people.

anyways its a pointless arguement. people use what they like, how they like it. its all good.

edit: also as i said, i actually dont give enough of as shit as to the appearance of my beers to give too hoots what people prefer. they can do anything they wont and it doesnt bother me. although damn everyone who's having a beer right now. i really want one.

mate im going with tried and true methods of using gelatine when cooking. its sets best in cold liquid. simple as that. compounds in beer shouldnt make a differance to gelatin setting.

I also dont class gelatine as a traditional fining. most time when books etc refer to finsings they are refering to isinglass etc. but finings mean differant things to differant people.

anyways its a pointless arguement. people use what they like, how they like it. its all good.

edit: also as i said, i actually dont give enough of as shit as to the appearance of my beers to give too hoots what people prefer. they can do anything they wont and it doesnt bother me. although damn everyone who's having a beer right now. i really want one.

Gelatin doesn't set when its fining your beer, its dissolved and because of its electrical charge attracts yeast together to form larger particles than the yeast would form due to their own flocculation abilities. Stokes law tells you that particles with a larger diameter fall through a given liquid more quickly.... So gelatin (which is 99% the same as isinglass anyway) simply causes yeast to fall to the bottom of the vessel more quickly. It only does its job in solution... If it actually set it would not work (and your beer would wobble instead of pouring)

Another part of stokes law is the density of the fluid liquid through which the particle is falling... As the density of the liquid increases the rate at which the particle falls decreases. And it so happens that beer is at its densest at about 4C, which i reckon is a pretty common temperature for people to have their fridge set to.... And so chilling your beer before you add your finings agent, in fact makes that finings agent do the job of dragging yeast to the bottom as slowly as its possible to do.

If you are using actual isinglass.... Then you make the beer cold, because the molecular structure of isinglass is slightly different to gelatine in that it has very long molecules, on some side chains of that molecule there are oppositely charged regions which are capable of attracting and collating very fine particles of chill haze. So if added cold - isinglass is capanle of both dropping out your yeast and also reducing chill haze. gelatin cant do the chill haze thing and therefore does its work perfectly well, and in fact better in beer that is not so cold.

Polyclar is in fact NOT a finings agent in the sense of other beer finings agents, it has no effect on particle size of anything at all, it causes nothing to fall to the bottom of the vessel, it causes nothing to happen more quickly than otherwise it would. It simply absorbs one of the chemical components that wuld otherwise go onto to combine with wort protiens and form chill haze... It does not work by actually taking chill haze out of a beer, it stops it from ever happening in the first place. It does in fact do this more rapidly at colder temperatures.... But thats if you require it to do its job in seconds rather than being willing to wait an hour. Polyclar is in general a true process aid, it doesn't dissolve and theoretically there should be none of the compound left in the final beer. gelatin on the other hand does partially remain in the beer, it does not set and fall to the bottom, it stays in solution and only comes out of solution when it combines with the yeast, so if you overfine your beer, the gelatin itself can remain in the beer in excess quantities and cause a haze of its own.

Someone the other day was posting pictures of hazy beer... Perhaps you'd be more comfortable reading that thread?? i like clear beer because it is prettier and tastes better. Your welcome to your glass full of yeasty goodness, i prefer mine spread on toast for breakfast.

None of your beers look that clean to me, check out this for clear beer

21062011561.jpg

<_< :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately a lot of people are comparing there gelatined beer with beers filtered through $50 ebay filters & there's a reason they see no difference, or struggle to filter a cloudy beer :ph34r: .
Get the right equipment & you'll filter cloudy beers no problem (mine get just 24hrs crash chilling after ferment finishes & i can filter 3 in a row without blockage).

Cheers Ross

As much as I hate agreeing with people - and especially Ross - I have to in this instance. :p

I struggled with an eBay cheapie for a while before buying an Over-Priced filter cartridge from a Reputable Supplier and now have significantly fewer problems and much clearer beers. I have to say though that I haven't tried the Keg King filter cartridges, which seem to be about as cheap as you can get.

I use no finings outside of the kettle and find that filtration and patience give me beer that is good enough for my visitors. I have come to believe that what happens in the mash is very important when it comes to beer clarity, but so is what happens in the kettle and the fermenter and the packaging and...

TB: If you want to take good photographs of trees, try doing it without anything obscuring your view of them.

Edit: cold-conditioning+filtration+patience.

I continue to use BrewBrite - probably got enough for another six months. Now that I'm about 3 kegs ahead at all times and can CC for a couple of weeks at -1, I don't bother with gelatine for most brews any more.

Couple I'm taking along to BABBs tonight, drawn straight from keg and given a bit of a whizz with the carb cap:

Clear_Bottles__Large_.JPG

Edit: couple of other run of the mill examples

ein_pils__Medium___2_.jpg
chinee__Medium_.JPG

My understanding of 'fining' comes from winemaking - so this could be mildly inaccurate.

We use gelatin as a fining agent ; but it is used to fine out harsh tannins and phenolics. The positively charged gelatin binds to the tannins and they form a large insoluble complex, which can be filtered out or will settle to the bottom (slowly).
Silica can be used with Gelatin to slow down the binding of gelatin to tannins, which means that when the gelatin is mixed in you don't get localised over-fining.

Bentonite is a floculating agent (sticks small bits together and makes them heavy enough to fall out) and is Negatively charged - so it will mop up any excess gelatin, as well as any other proteins in the wine.
We use Bentonite to remove protein from the wine, which causes a haze in the wine if it is heated (common in transport).
However, protein is important for head retention and so sparkling wines are not always bentonited so that they retain their 'mousse' or head better in the glass.

Isinglass is similar to gelatin but acts on a different size tannin complex.
Polyclar is similar to gelatin but acts on a much smaller size tannin complex; more common in white wine.

So what I'm saying is, gelatin will help to clarify a beer only by sticking some of the solids together and helping them fall out.
Bentonite will do a much better job but will remove necessary proteins to help head retention - of this I am sure; I trialled adding 1g/L of bentonite to a pale ale recently and the head on it is pathetic - even well carbed up and served through a keg & tap system.

I think a small amount of gelatin/isinglass/polyclar fining (which are all proteins) will remove harsh flavours through tannin binding, and help to speed up the clarification process.
A small bentonite addition will compact the solids and dramatically speed up the clarficiation - but in the end, nothing beats time - except absolute (not nominal) filtration grades.

By the way, since all of these reactions are +ve/-ve interaactions with proteins in the beer, lower temperature will slow the binding. Of course too hot and you'll de-nature the proteins and oxidise the beer too.

Thats my theory -I would love to see real-world results.

Chris

Hi can anyone help me with a situation.
I've been using finings as instructed on my last 5 brews but all still came out cloudy with sediment, I live in perth, aus so I am relating this to the gelatine finings I am using not being able to coagulate in the fermenter.
Is this the case.

if it's cloudy just from the yeast in the bottom of the bottle, the best you can do is store them standing up, and put them in the fridge for as long as you can before opening which will help to compact the sediment. Also, chilling the fermenter down for a while before bottling will help to clear the beer up. Try not to swirl it around when positioning it to bottle.

it the beer looks hazy despite the above - we need to know a bit more. if it is hazy to start with, then go clear when the beer warms up (sediment notwithstanding), it sounds like chill haze.

what is your brewing method?

I filter all my beers through a truckie's sock (or a sumo wrestler's jock strap if I use Sorachi Ace).

Ferment everything with WLP002 and your beer will be clear. That stuff drops clear like nothing else.

Thirsty Boy said:
Another part of stokes law is the density of the fluid liquid through which the particle is falling... As the density of the liquid increases the rate at which the particle falls decreases. And it so happens that beer is at its densest at about 4�C, which i reckon is a pretty common temperature for people to have their fridge set to.... And so chilling your beer before you add your finings agent, in fact makes that finings agent do the job of dragging yeast to the bottom as slowly as its possible to do.
Thanks Thirsty Boy, a very informative post. Just one query, I have seen many suggest adding gelatine to cooled wort and I recently changed to this and think it gives superior results. I appreciate that the wort will be more buoyant at cooler temps, but the mass of the particles will increase as the yeast will floc better. So I suspect the losses caused by a more buoyant wort at low temp are more than offset by a heavier particles caused by yeast flocking better, which would be consistent with recommendations to cool the wort before adding gelatine. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

EDIT: just realised the post was from 2011. May be I will get a response in 2017. :p

Back