Cleaning Silicone Hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cellarman is sodium percarbonate.
Napi-san or oxyper is cheaper.

tdh

Sodium Perborate Monohydrate 10-<30%
Sodium Carbonate 30-60%
Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid <10%

Geez they are accurate with the ingredient listing, 20% variance?

Anyway, according to a quick read, Sodium Perborate undergoes hydrolysis when it comes into contact with water, so if you plan on mixing the napisan with water (and if napisan is sodium perborate) it will make Sodium Percarbonate Monohydrate, which is <30% of the Cellarman ingredient list.

So I would say that there are differences between the substances...

Besides, napisan has fragrance in it, another mix of chemicals you definitely do not want in your beer.

EDIT: spelling errors.

Oh I just realised, you said napisan is sodium percarbonate... not perborate.

"Sodium percarbonate is a white crystalline water-soluble chemical compound of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide." Wiki listing.

It releases Sodium Carbonate when mixed with water (the dominant chemical in Cellarman). However, my other comment about purity of fragrances still holds. In short, perhaps the higher price tag is worth it to use a food specific product?

How come you're still wearing nappies? B)

You certainly can wash nappies (yours or mine) in Cellarman, very expensive though.

Sodium perborate dissolves at lower temps and is effective at lower temps so better suited to temprites that are left on during the pubs line cleaning routine.

Sodium percarbonate is more effective overall but works best at higher water temps (65*C me thinks).

I've used unscented Napisan-like products and Oxyper (higher SPC concentration) for years now and find that products like Cellarman and proprietary coffee machine cleaners are a gross waste of money. The few extra benefits that these products have, I find, are minimal.

tdh

Im no chemist but its not what it says HERE..Can you explain why its Sodium percarbonate ? I would not wash my nappies in cellarman. :rolleyes:
GB

I stand corrected then if there is no problem with over chemical exposure, go for the napisan type stuff.

Napisan babycare, or the homebrand stuff, are unscented.

Thanks LC, I was looking the other day and wondered how to tell which are unscented. I ended up going with bleach instead for an over night fermenter soak.

Just reading this thread again, I notice from the PDF file Jye linked to that PBW is largely Sodium Metasilicate, which is the main ingredient listed on Brew Cellar's "Bottle Washing Powder." I am wondering whether it is a comparable product?

Has anyone used that stuff?

Well it turns out nothing worked until I scored some PBW

I heated it up as per the instructions and as you can see from the pic it worked a treat. I no longer fear looking in the tube or through my tap since they are now sparkling clean, YAY

The next step is to make a spray ball to clean the entire kettle without filling it with water.

I love this stuff :wub:

View attachment 20230

Jye,

What do you mean by "Spray Ball"?
Do you mean just adding a drop of detergent as a surfactant with the PBW to a sprayer then spraying???? Did this work???

TP :beer:

I tried a couple of different sprinkler heads in the top of my kettle so I could recirculate the PBW solution through my kettle, however my pumps was either to slow or the soil was clogging the sprinkler head. I still want to get it going as it would make clean a piece of cake.

I tried a couple of different sprinkler heads in the top of my kettle so I could recirculate the PBW solution through my kettle, however my pumps was either to slow or the soil was clogging the sprinkler head. I still want to get it going as it would make clean a piece of cake.

There is a new product out called "HTFU elbow grease" works a treat :icon_cheers:

Jye,

What do you mean by "Spray Ball"?
Do you mean just adding a drop of detergent as a surfactant with the PBW to a sprayer then spraying???? Did this work???

TP :beer:
Pete, according to Jon Herskovits from 5 Star Chemicals (at ANHC), the PBW already has a surfactant in it.

edit: spelling :rolleyes:

Napisan babycare, or the homebrand stuff, are unscented.

Thanks LC, I was looking the other day and wondered how to tell which are unscented. I ended up going with bleach instead for an over night fermenter soak.

It's best to still check. I bought some no-name napisan (can't remember which shops version) and discovered it was lemon scented... it was in small print I missed.

Back