Cleaning Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
I got some second hand long necks from work....
Now having second thoughts about using them, as i dont know where they have come from and cleanlyness etc.

What do you use to REALI wash them? I dont mean wash them between uses etc i mean reali giving them a wash??

Any ideas?

sit them upright in a tube add nappi san ten hot water and soak. the use as normal

sit them upright in a tube add nappi san ten hot water and soak. the use as normal

This was how I got all my long necks clean. I got about 200 from a guy who hadn't brewed in about 15 years and they were left outside, some of them looked pretty :icon_vomit: .

So I filled up the laundry tun with warm water and nappi san let them soak for a few hours then washed them with a bottle brush and rinsed. They came out like new.

Here's what I do.

The Ryobrush

Pretty fast, get's em sparkling, and it's kind of fun, too ;)
I did this (along with the napisan soak) with my last bottle cleaning run and found it 10x easier then doing it the manual way, and I'm almost 100% sure it does a better job.

The active ingredient in Napisan is Sodium Percarbonate at around 30% . It is possible to get the full strength - I got mine in a bulk buy last year and have enough to last me till the Lord Calleth me - it's so bloody concentrated. It's so strong that when I have a dirty fermenter after primary I just fill it with a hot solution of perc and in the morning it has eaten everything including caked on yeast rings, leaving a sparkling clean fermenter. It would be ideal for bottles. Also if you get a dirty yeast stained airlock, just submerge it in a glass of perc and it comes out like new after an hour. Not sure where you would get it where you are, try catering supply companies?

The active ingredient in Napisan is Sodium Percarbonate at around 30% . It is possible to get the full strength - I got mine in a bulk buy last year and have enough to last me till the Lord Calleth me - it's so bloody concentrated. It's so strong that when I have a dirty fermenter after primary I just fill it with a hot solution of perc and in the morning it has eaten everything including caked on yeast rings, leaving a sparkling clean fermenter. It would be ideal for bottles. Also if you get a dirty yeast stained airlock, just submerge it in a glass of perc and it comes out like new after an hour. Not sure where you would get it where you are, try catering supply companies?

Bribie,

Was all set to start a bb (Same retailer as yours) on the 100% Sodium Perc until Screwy advised me that it's available at Woolies Gympie. Have yet to check our local Woolies but intend to do so ASAP.

TP

Bribie,

Was all set to start a bb (Same retailer as yours) on the 100% Sodium Perc until Screwy advised me that it's available at Woolies Gympie. Have yet to check our local Woolies but intend to do so ASAP.

TP
Thanks for that heads up Pete, I'll be in Woolies in about an hour, I'll check. I expect it's in the house cleaning section? I'm fine for Perc ATM but it would be a godsend to newbie brewers on the forum, get them pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for that heads up Pete, I'll be in Woolies in about an hour, I'll check. I expect it's in the house cleaning section? I'm fine for Perc ATM but it would be a godsend to newbie brewers on the forum, get them pointed in the right direction.

Bribie,

Can you let me know how you get on? Just in case my local Woolies don't sell it.
Off Topic --- Can you refresh my memory as to what yeast you gave me at Brad's. Was it a Proculture? :)
Many thanks in advance.

TP

i normally use no-name nappysan (find one with the most sodium percarbonate with no scent) and it gets my bottles clean with minimal effort, and ive cleaned some pretty horrible ones full of mould etc.

if you really want to get the job done though, caustic soda will be your best bet, but be effing careful!!!

Personally I do not use Napisan but did I read somewher that one of the Napisans is a no go? Was it OXY?

Thanks guys unscented nappysan sounds the way to go!
ill fill my troph with the bottles and sub merge the bottles over night. Then bottle brush them rinse with clean water.

Thanks guys!

Just checked out Bribie Island Woolies, no Sodium Percarbonate. They have Sodium Carbonate which of course is the old washing soda but a different chemical altogether. Also "Pure Oxygen Whitener" from NZ but that contains a mix of Sodium Percarbonate, Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Bicarbonate. And at $7 a kilo I don't think so.

Does Screwy know the actual brand name or could he have misread the Carbonate?

Bribie,

How much Sodium Perc do you put in a fermenter full of water?

I've got a heap of pure from a bulk buy, too, and have some serious cleaning to do.

Just checked out Bribie Island Woolies, no Sodium Percarbonate. They have Sodium Carbonate which of course is the old washing soda but a different chemical altogether. Also "Pure Oxygen Whitener" from NZ but that contains a mix of Sodium Percarbonate, Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Bicarbonate. And at $7 a kilo I don't think so.

Does Screwy know the actual brand name or could he have misread the Carbonate?

I had no joy either Bribie so I'll PM Screwy in a few minutes.
Don't suppose you've read Post 10? :)

TP

:icon_offtopic: Sorry, Pete, that yeast was Proculture Wood Ale = 1469 :icon_cheers:

Bribie,

How much Sodium Perc do you put in a fermenter full of water?

I've got a heap of pure from a bulk buy, too, and have some serious cleaning to do.

I've used a rounded Tea spoon per fermenter with good results - and some people think this is overboard. Use warm water too - think I read a while ago that optimum water temperature around 68C = whatever, never had too many worries.

Latest posts

Back