Cleaning A Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i have tried dishwasher powder, and napisan. is better, but there are still streaks through it.

tempted to try raw bleach as a last resort.

this is shitting me......

Fester.

I use and always have used a bleach solution, works for me.

Batz

I clean my filter thoroughly(or at least I thought I did) napisan, rinse, the works only to find 5-6 little dots of mold on it last weekend. Surly that can't be good?

Mine did the same thing once and I thought I was pretty thorough with the napisan. Now I always finish with a dose of starsan before air drying and storing. No dramas since.

Mine did the same thing once and I thought I was pretty thorough with the napisan. Now I always finish with a dose of starsan before air drying and storing. No dramas since.

I've kinda put it down to the amount of wet weather we've been having lately.

I usually just give the cartridge a quick squirt with the hose, then it's straight into a hot solution (65C) of PBW. Comes out bright white, and filters perfect every time. Have tried Napisan in the past, and whilst it does work to some extent, PBW does seem to get more gunk out from in the pleats of the cartridge in my experience.

Cheers

hey guys,
just wondering how do these filters handle boiling water for cleaning and sanitation - i use my 50l HL tank to clean and sanitize all of my equipment, will a paper filter hold up to 10L of boiling water run through it?

Thanks

hey guys,
just wondering how do these filters handle boiling water for cleaning and sanitation - i use my 50l HL tank to clean and sanitize all of my equipment, will a paper filter hold up to 10L of boiling water run through it?

Thanks

The message I got was hot tap water only. Boiling can damage the filter.

Why do people assume that shiny and white is the same as properly cleaned??

You need to LOOK at the filter and see if there is any collected soil, i dont give a rats arse how white nappisan makes it, you need to see, before you put nappisan near it, that there is no collected surface goo. Filters with plastic cages around them mean you cant, and i wouldn't buy one, ever, for that very reason.

Once it is actually "clean" on its surface, then worry about your nappisan etc. Sodium perc does a pretty good job... Good enough so i use it for about 3 or 4 brews worth. - then i give the filter a PBW soak, and surprie surprise - when you use a proper brewery detergent in it, all manner of stuff gets cleaned out that the nappisan didn't touch. - and the filter performane improves markedly.

Nappisan is an OK cleaner, but it just is NOT as good as a proper cleaner and if you study flitration... You'll want to use a proper cleaner.

Backflush, inspect, surface clean ( highish pressure spraying) if needed, soak in nappisan - rinse, sanitise, use.

Every three or four brews - same routine but replace nappisan with PBW - then nappisan to make it white and you feel better about it.

Why do people assume that shiny and white is the same as properly cleaned??

You need to LOOK at the filter and see if there is any collected soil, i dont give a rats arse how white nappisan makes it, you need to see, before you put nappisan near it, that there is no collected surface goo. Filters with plastic cages around them mean you cant, and i wouldn't buy one, ever, for that very reason.

Once it is actually "clean" on its surface, then worry about your nappisan etc. Sodium perc does a pretty good job... Good enough so i use it for about 3 or 4 brews worth. - then i give the filter a PBW soak, and surprie surprise - when you use a proper brewery detergent in it, all manner of stuff gets cleaned out that the nappisan didn't touch. - and the filter performane improves markedly.

Nappisan is an OK cleaner, but it just is NOT as good as a proper cleaner and if you study flitration... You'll want to use a proper cleaner.

Backflush, inspect, surface clean ( highish pressure spraying) if needed, soak in nappisan - rinse, sanitise, use.

Every three or four brews - same routine but replace nappisan with PBW - then nappisan to make it white and you feel better about it.

Spot on TB.Personally I won't use nappisan at all these days, even perfume free it still contains additives i don't want. 1 teaspoon of PBW works wonders.

cheers Ross

Spot on TB.Personally I won't use nappisan at all these days, even perfume free it still contains additives i don't want. 1 teaspoon of PBW works wonders.

cheers Ross

Ross, is PBW same as the pink stain remover? Cheers

Tony - Nope, completely different product. PBW is a Sodium Percarbonate based cleaner (like a super-strength Nappisan). Pink Stain is a detergent I believe.

Cheers

Tony - Nope, completely different product. PBW is a Sodium Percarbonate based cleaner (like a super-strength Nappisan). Pink Stain is a detergent I believe.

Cheers

Nick, what name does it go under? Cheers

I am a fan of PBW and I really wonder why people stuff around with other stuff when PBW does the job. Fair enough if it's hard to buy, but its readily available and not dear when you realise it is perfect for nearly everything in the home brewer's gear.

I am a fan of PBW and I really wonder why people stuff around with other stuff when PBW does the job. Fair enough if it's hard to buy, but its readily available and not dear when you realise it is perfect for nearly everything in the home brewer's gear.

Where do ya get it?

I get mine from Craftbrewer (check the banner above), but should be available through other retailers. Tony - It's simply called PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash).

Cheers

pink stain remover is more like bleach, Well its used or can be used as a sanitiser and it stinks like you added bleach to the fermenter. def no detergent as it doesnt foam nor does it smell like it.

bringing back an old thread here but I back flush the crap out of mine then one tea spoon of Sodium Percarbonate in the housing then fill with water from the jug boiling let sit for 20 min then turn it around and to it again, then rinse with water for 5 mins then store in the freezer till next time anybody else store theres in the freezer ?

I'm with you AJS2154. Having a meal in your drink is the go.
Ps. If your ferment for 14 days, allow slight temp rise for yeast to clean up an then chill for a while before drinking then there isn't too much in there anyway.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back