Clarification for a dummy, DrSmurtos Golden Ale Kit version

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctr-dan

Reaction score
I picked up the ingredients for this yesterday at my LHB, but I'm still not up to scratch with understanding recipes and lingo etc.

This is DrSmurtos Golden ale Kit version
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast US-05

I'm guessing there is a boil for this ?
And I'm still nt down with the hops schedual or how it works etc.

Basically please spell it out for dummies

Thanks

Thanks for the link very helpful.

I do have one small issue though I only have a 10l pot is there a way go alter the process to suit this? Or do I need to buy a 16l pot?
I could also borrow a 30Ltr urn if that would work.

hit up big w they have 20L pot for like $19...I laid this brew 2 weeks ago and should be ready to gas up this weekend

I'd just use your 10L pot. That's all I do.
Use your grain liquid and top up to 6L. Put a little less than half the wheat malt tin and bring to the boil. Do your 15 minute and 5 minute additions, dump the rest of the wheat tin in then cool the pot down in a sink with plenty of ice blocks.
Mix it all up in the fermenter and bob's your aunty.

Continuing on with my theme if dummies questions, so I boil this for a total of 15mins adding 15g at the beginning and then another 15g at 5mins from the end and then cool, right? Sorry for the basic questions.

A friend asked me what the point was of boiling the 15g for 15mins and then 15g for 5mins he asked why wouldn't you just boil 30g for the 15mins?

Thanks

Hops serve different functions - early in the boil they add mostly bitter properties, later they add mostly flavour and aromatic compounds. Thus the different times (and your interpretation is correct).
Do not ever be fooled into the stupid notion that there is no crossover though. Bittering additions add flavour, flavour and aroma additions can add some bitterness. And if you see a graph in blue, green and red with no real data points, understand it as a simple visual aid, not a real graph.

gsouth said:
I'd just use your 10L pot. That's all I do.
Use your grain liquid and top up to 6L. Put a little less than half the wheat malt tin and bring to the boil. Do your 15 minute and 5 minute additions, dump the rest of the wheat tin in then cool the pot down in a sink with plenty of ice blocks.
Mix it all up in the fermenter and bob's your aunty.
So you use your 2L of grain liquid and top up with another 4L of water then add say 1/3 of your wheat malt instead of the original recipe which uses 2L of grain liquid, top up with another 6L of water and a full can of wheat malt.

doctr-dan said:
So you use your 2L of grain liquid and top up with another 4L of water then add say 1/3 of your wheat malt instead of the original recipe which uses 2L of grain liquid, top up with another 6L of water and a full can of wheat malt.
So I steep the grains in 2L of water for 30 minutes then strain into a big pot. I then rinse the grain with another 2L of 65 degree-ish water. That gives me 4L. I then add another 2L giving me a total of 6L. I only have a 8-9L pot so that's why I go with a 6L boil.
Using IanH's spreadsheet, a 6L boil requires 633g of liquid malt.

Oh well I ended up giving it a crack sunday afternoon prior to your reply.

I steeped the grain in 1L of water for 1 hour and then sparged with 1L of water at 65-75d I then topped up with a additional 4L of water to make a total 6L and added about half of the can of wheat malt.

Hopefully it turns out okay......

Latest posts

Back