City Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tao

Reaction score
Well Im about to move to Melbourne from a small country town and I was thinking about the changes id need to make to my brewing. I chill with a copper immersion chiller at the moment because we have tank water and I can recycle it. I also brew with rain water. Im now going to have to brew with town water and Im going to opt for the no chill method, however, I have a few questions.

1) Will I need to treat Melbournes drinking water before I brew with it? Or will the chemicals burn off during the boil?

2) Can you think of any other changes that I would need to make to my brewing process?

- Im an all grain brewer with a HLT, Mash Tun and Boiler.

If you can think of anything that would differ frown brewing in the country with rain water to brewing in the city with town water I would like to know.

Morning Tao. Your tank water probably needed more treatment (for brewing) than the mains water in the city. I brewed off tap water for years before buying a tank and I never treated the water. Don't change anything in the brewery yet until you have done a couple of brews with mains water then see/taste if you need to make changes. Good luck, merry xmas and ho ho ho......

You won't need to do a thing to Melb water as the quality is pretty high. Apparently very similar in profile to Czech water or so I've been told. Water tanks are pretty common in Melb as well these days and I use my 1000ltr to recirculate through my copper immersion chiller but when i didn't have one I used to no chill. I don't really see moving to Melb altering your methods or approach to brewing.

merry xmas
devo

I don't remember Melb water being anything special, but then I don't recall it being terrible either (lived in Fitzroy many years ago), but all the same I would recommend using filtered water whatever the source. I have a 3 stage filter under the kitchen sink and that is the only water I will brew with, wash vegetables, make tea/coffee, etc.
Sure, the tap water may be safe, but it will still have chemicals in it that I would rather not ingest on a daily basis.

Cheers,
Jake

Edit: missed the 3

Good to know, i will just have to get myself a cube then so not much of an expense.

alternatively get ya self a water tank and the brew process stays the same ...

Back