Citra Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum me old fru when was the last time that you did as you instructed to do?
i do believe that your rig would be capable of better things
tell you what ask sandy @ hopco and get his opinion on the hop debate
to all the beer bunions i luvs ay
speedie :icon_chickcheers:

Let me ask you a question, speedie. Who has more to gain from their position: me or sandy @ hopco?

As for my rig, not much clue what you're on about. I think you'll find you've just suggested that my process can add mystical new flavours. In which case, thanks - I am pretty great.

hmmm
citra from here

Citra™, HBC 394
Citra™ is a special aroma hop variety developed by the Hop Breeding Company (a joint venture between John I. Haas, Inc. and Select Botanicals Group, LLC). It was released in 2007. Citra™ has fairly high alpha acids and total oil contents with a low percentage of cohumulone content. The variety imparts interesting citrus and tropical fruit characters to beer.

Yield (kilos per hectare) 1600-1800
Yield (lbs per acre)1400-1600
Alpha Acids 11-13
Beta Acids 3.5-4.5
Alpha-Beta Ratio 2.9-3.1
Cohumulone (% of alpha acids): 22-24%
Total Oils (Mls. per 100 grams dried hops) 2.2-2.8
Myrcene (as % of total oils) 60-65%
Caryophyllene (as % of total oils) 6-8%
Humulene (as % of total oils) 11-13%
Farnesene (as % of total oils) 0%
Storage (% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20 C)
75%
Possible Substitutions
Unknown

galaxy from here

Galaxy hop pellets. AUS - Crop '09 (AA 13.4%) Bulk price (450gm+) = $9.50 per 90gm
The Australian hop selection Galaxy is a high alpha dual purpose triploid cultivar with a
marked and unique hop aroma. Bred by Hop Products Australia at their Rostrevor Breeding Garden Victoria. Galaxy, when add late in the boil, has been found to impart a unique and pleasant flavour to beer. The striking flavour has been described as a combination of citrus and passionfruit, whilst still contributing significant bittering.
Origin
Galaxy was bred by Hop Products Australia at their Rostrevor Breeding Garden in Victoria
in 1994. It was bred by crossing a female tetraploid (J78) with a male derived from Perle.
Galaxy is 2/3 J78 and 1/6 a male derived from the Germany cultivar Perle.
Analytical Data
Yield (Kg/Ha) 2500 - 3800
Alpha acids (%) 13.0 - 13.5
Beta acids (%) 5.8 - 6.0
Alpha/Beta Ratio 2.3
Cohumulone (%) 35.0
Total Oils (ml/100g) 2.7
Myrcene (% of whole oil) 42.4
Humulene (% of whole oil) 1.5
Beta Caryophyllene (% of whole oil) 12.1
Farnesene (% of whole oil) 2.8
Hop Acids by HPLC (ICE)
Steam distilled essential oil analyzed by GC-MS

totally the same hop there its like the commodore and a mini is the same car.

Another one for the favourites. Thankyou barls.
I really couldn't see how two hops could be classed as the same. I work in an industry where the slightest difference means a different name. I'm looking forward to my own personal comparisons.
Cheers

snip
totally the same hop there its like the commodore and a mini is the same car.

But they both have four wheels, therefore they must be the same car. :rolleyes:

Or translated into speedie "both cars four wheel so same i now mor than u think outside box important when learn my years brewing flat-tard kno newton"

Geez, a couple of meads under the belt, I still can't get that inarticulate.

Blog on - the sheer comedy is keeping these threads going, long after their brewing use has expired.

I'm thinking that maybe they are breeding occasionally inarticulate persons over there in the West, unable to construct a thought, sentence, punctuate and express themselves in a manner that denotes a lack of laziness in use of their keyboard (or even anything more than a fleeting acquaintance with said keyboard).

At least the other gentlemen I recall are harmless, encouraging and pleasant, unlike this belligerent pillock.

Thanks to barls, Big Nath and the others for all their work contributing useful information to this forum. We all post some crap, sometimes (this thread's OT posts being a perfect example), but when called on, give our best, most honest and well educated answers (or at least POV that are stated as such).

i we drink to the mars men
scorpios

I dont understand you speedie......I want to see a picture of you and hear your voice, it might help me to understand you. From what I can gather you are pretty ******* wierd or drunk or old and grumpy or really nerdy or really young.....hmmmm

Speedie

Go away...

Nev

+1

I dont understand you speedie......I want to see a picture of you and hear your voice, it might help me to understand you. From what I can gather you are pretty ******* wierd or drunk or old and grumpy or really nerdy or really young.....hmmmm

We should start a poll
Is Speedie:
a. pretty ******* wierd
b. drunk
c. old and grumpy
d. really nerdy
e. really young

We would need multiple selects
I vote d & e

+1

We should start a poll
Is Speedie:
a. pretty ******* wierd
b. drunk
c. old and grumpy
d. really nerdy
e. really young

We would need multiple selects
I vote d & e

I'm going out on a limb & suggesting that nerdy isn't the best way to describe speedie.

A, b & c for me.

Edit: typo, how embarrassing.

Back to the topic at hand, have been trying quite a few Citra hopped beers from other brewers of late.

Tasting them it seems to come up a lot like you've overhopped Centennial (loads of orange, almost harsh) in many variations, so I would suggest anyone using this to go sparingly.

Not sure about its use in isolation either as one flavour from what I've tried, but I guess that's the thing about taste - it's always subjective.
Those who like fresh marmalade on their toast will love it.

Hopper.

So what are you saying Hopper? That Citra, Galaxy AND Centennial are the same hop???

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

I've never used Citra myself but I do have 90g of Citra pellets waiting in the fridge to be my next smash ale.

booyablack

Hopper, have a crack at Arctic Fox's APA. Displays Citra very well IMO :icon_cheers:

So what are you saying Hopper? That Citra, Galaxy AND Centennial are the same hop???

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

I've never used Citra myself but I do have 90g of Citra pellets waiting in the fridge to be my next smash ale.

booyablack

No they're all certainly different, but I'm finding Centennial can exhibit similar characters of 'Orangeness', but this is seems to happen when Centennial is used in larger amounts.

Galaxy is a totally different beast, as when used well you get passionfruit on this one. But you're right about one thing - Galaxy, like Citra is high on the bittering front (High Alpha) so I would be using less of this stuff on the 60 minute addition (if at all) to save some harshness and lean towards late hopping - but that's a personal preference. I don't like 'harsh fruit hop' bitterness in my beer. Everyone is different.

Itching to use this hop to see if I can do better than some of the 'Orange Rind Flavoured' beers I've tried, but have to clear some crazy kiwi hops from the back of the fridge first. So I can't comment from a perspective of actually brewing with it - just tasting it.

Hopper.

Hopper, have a crack at Arctic Fox's APA. Displays Citra very well IMO :icon_cheers:

Familiar with the beer Penny, but didn't realise Citra was in there. Tasted like a big whack of amarillo to me due to the citrus & pine. There you go, might have to revisit it. Did enjoy that beer when I tried it last year. Some on here aren't fans of the metallic flavour on it or something but I couldn't taste that at all. Might be coming from those that can taste their water additions.

Hopper.

i still feel that citra and galaxy are one in the same

Sorry, but they aren't even similar. Unless you find lemon/grapefruit juice the same as passionfruit juice.

I would suggest you may have inadvertantly used the same hop in 2 different brews.

Cheers Ross

Back